Joe Hood has joined

Joe Roark

Some of you remember the name Joe Hood from powerlifting, I am sure. Joe has joined us, and welcome aboard, Joe!

Years ago, on my first visit to the Todd-McLean Collection in Austin, Terry Todd and I visited the gym where Joe Hood was getting ready to squat- as I recall with about 600 pounds. Terry and I were spotters, which proves to me that Joe is either foolish or very trusting- to put me in charge of a 300 pound barbell end :)

Anyway, Joe made the squat(s) ? and my service was not needed.

I think it was during my second visit that we all enjoyed a meal together, and I was impressed by the gentleness and friendleness of Mr. Hood.

Welcome aboard!

Bob Hornick
Some of you remember the name Joe Hood from powerlifting, I am sure. Joe has joined us, and welcome aboard, Joe!

Years ago, on my first visit to the Todd-McLean Collection in Austin, Terry Todd and I visited the gym where Joe Hood was getting ready to squat- as I recall with about 600 pounds. Terry and I were spotters, which proves to me that Joe is either foolish or very trusting- to put me in charge of a 300 pound barbell end :)

Anyway, Joe made the squat(s) ? and my service was not needed.

I think it was during my second visit that we all enjoyed a meal together, and I was impressed by the gentleness and friendleness of Mr. Hood.

Welcome aboard!

Yes, Welcome....I think the gym mentioned may have been the Texas Athletic Club....I checked it out years ago, paid my visitor fee for a workout and had a fun go at the dumbbell rack while in my street clothes. A great old gym. :)

[

Yes, Welcome....I think the gym mentioned may have been the Texas Athletic Club....I checked it out years ago, paid my visitor fee for a workout and had a fun go at the dumbbell rack while in my street clothes. A great old gym. :)

Hi, Bob!

Under the heading of "It's a Small World", my chiropractic clinic is in Jollyville (part of Austin, Texas) almost at the junction of Pond Spr. Rd. and Hwy. 183. I did have the privilege of training a time or two in TAC (Texas Athletic Club) when I came to Austin for a visit in 1984. I moved to Austin later that year. Mike Graham's Hyde Park Gym was a real classic, as well. I loved his sign, "Pick up your weights! Your mother doesn't work here!" However, the site where Joe and I lifted was the weightroom in the old Gregory Gym. It was a real classic, with the old-time York 45-plates that had a big lip on them. You old-timers will know what I'm talking about. A few years later, the UT powerlifting team and some of we gym rats got together and built an elevated lifting platform in the other weight room in Gregory a few doors down. We used huge old timbers from a UT building that was being demolished. It was a great platform - it looked like a Viking stronghold! I believe that Mark Henry did his 905 lb. deadlift and 950 lb. sq. on that platform. I did some of my best lifting there as well. On that platform, I did a 745 x 3 deadlift. My back really did complain for a few days afterward!

Bob Hornick
[

Hi, Bob!

Under the heading of "It's a Small World", my chiropractic clinic is in Jollyville (part of Austin, Texas) almost at the junction of Pond Spr. Rd. and Hwy. 183. I did have the privilege of training a time or two in TAC (Texas Athletic Club) when I came to Austin for a visit in 1984. I moved to Austin later that year. Mike Graham's Hyde Park Gym was a real classic, as well. I loved his sign, "Pick up your weights! Your mother doesn't work here!" However, the site where Joe and I lifted was the weightroom in the old Gregory Gym. It was a real classic, with the old-time York 45-plates that had a big lip on them. You old-timers will know what I'm talking about. A few years later, the UT powerlifting team and some of we gym rats got together and built an elevated lifting platform in the other weight room in Gregory a few doors down. We used huge old timbers from a UT building that was being demolished. It was a great platform - it looked like a Viking stronghold! I believe that Mark Henry did his 905 lb. deadlift and 950 lb. sq. on that platform. I did some of my best lifting there as well. On that platform, I did a 745 x 3 deadlift. My back really did complain for a few days afterward!

Hi Joe, Are you familiar with the "Weightlifting Gym", located in that 183, Pond Springs area? I've visited there, tried to get those folks to sign up here and tell us about themselves. Theirs is gym that teaches the overhead lifts and sponsors a team at regional meets. I don't have the camera I'd need to take some shots of that gym for this forum but told the folks here about that place. At the time it was located between a law office and chiropractic center which amused me, but then again my sense of humor can be dark. My residence is only a bit more than two miles from that location. Yes Jollyville has changed a lot since 1977 and Austin is annexing business areas. My area has not yet been annexed, oh boy watch the taxes go thru the roof then!

I've visited Mike Grahams gym and talked with him by telephone, have not yet met him in person. Seems like a nice guy and what a great gym that is, classic as you say. Every time I go to Lockhart for Bar-B-Que I check to see if his place is open.

Joe your lifts are very impressive, you are one strong hombre. I look forward to reading what you have to say here on the site, thanks for sharing your iron memories. :)

Edited by Bob Hornick
David Harrington

Welcome to the forum, Joe! :) I was wondering if you ever competed against a powerlifter named Tom Kelly? Tom Kelly resembled weightlifter, Anatoly Piserenko somewhat both facially and physique-wise. Tom is from Harrisburg, PA.

---David

Hi Joe, Are you familiar with the "Weightlifting Gym", located in that 183, Pond Springs area? I've visited there, tried to get those folks to sign up here and tell us about themselves. Theirs is gym that teaches the overhead lifts and sponsors a team at regional meets. I don't have the camera I'd need to take some shots of that gym for this forum but told the folks here about that place. At the time it was located between a law office and chiropractic center which amused me, but then again my sense of humor can be dark. My residence is only a bit more than two miles from that location. Yes Jollyville has changed a lot since 1977 and Austin is annexing business areas. My area has not yet been annexed, oh boy watch the taxes go thru the roof then!

I've visited Mike Grahams gym and talked with him by telephone, have not yet met him in person. Seems like a nice guy and what a great gym that is, classic as you say. Every time I go to Lockhart for Bar-B-Que I check to see if his place is open.

Joe your lifts are very impressive, you are one strong hombre. I look forward to reading what you have to say here on the site, thanks for sharing your iron memories. :)

Hi, Bob!

The "Weightlifting Gym" is the gym to which I am referring. I'm not quite sure why Oleg's Sign says the "Weightlifting Gym" rather than "OK (for Oleg Kechko) Weightlifting. It is located next to my chiropractic office. The attorney moved next door just after Oleg set up his gym there. For the first couple of months, the frequent vibrations that would shake the building as heavy olympic poundages were dropped from overhead took some getting used to for the attorney and his assistant. I think that they're just about trained, now! For me, it was like music to my ears, although it was a bit startling to patients the first time they heard it! I believe that a move is in the works for Oleg's facility, although it will remain in the Jollyville/Hwy. 183 area. The rent just went up and I think that they are looking a space that is not quite as expensive.

Mike Graham and his wife Carol Finsrud (a masters' track-and-field champion in her own right) are very nice people. They own the "Old Texas Barbell Company" in Lockhart, Texas. Years ago, Mike owned Hyde Park Gym. Following is a link to an interview Mike and Carol did awhile back:

http://72.14.209.104/search?q=cache:XGqHnt...t=clnk&cd=3

Welcome to the forum, Joe! :) I was wondering if you ever competed against a powerlifter named Tom Kelly? Tom Kelly resembled weightlifter, Anatoly Piserenko somewhat both facially and physique-wise. Tom is from Harrisburg, PA.

---David

Hi, David,

The name doesn't ring a bell, but that doesn't mean that I didn't compete against him! I have an excellent recall of written material. However, no one can say God doesn't have a sense of humor, as He blessed me with a singular ability to forget names within a few minutes of hearing them! If I competed against someone a number of times, or we had an epic battle, such as the one John Kuc and I had in the 1983 ADFPA 110 kg. class (he prevailed!), then I remember them. Tom Kelly sounds like a formidable guy! As an aside, I think that my buddy Oleg Kechko knew Anatoly Piserenko in his competition days. Do you remember some of the meets in which Tom Kelly competed?

Joe

David Harrington
Tom Kelly sounds like a formidable guy! As an aside, I think that my buddy Oleg Kechko knew Anatoly Piserenko in his competition days. Do you remember some of the meets in which Tom Kelly competed?

Joe

Sorry Joe, I don't recall any particular meets off-hand. I'd have to check the old mags. I believe Tom held the 110 kilo bodyweight class ADFPA bench press record for a short while.

---David