Mark Cameron, welcome

Joe Roark

Mark, welcome to ironhistory.com!

Please read the rules and post when ready.

Members:

As some of you may know Mark Cameron had an impressive career in Olympic lifting. I have PMed Mark to see if in fact he is that lifter, or another man by the same name. In either case. Mark is welcomed!

Joe

Joe Roark

Gentlemen, it is indeed Mark Cameron, Weightlifter of the Year for 1975 and 1979 who has nestled in among us.

A tip of my hat to you sir- don't let the gleam off the bald head frighten you!

Tom Ryan

Welcome, Mark. You will find us to be a different bunch from the GoHeavy group.

Jan Dellinger

I would also like to welcome Mark to Iron History Forums. Now there are two of us on here who were on the editorial staff of the York Barbell publications and shared an office with John C. Grimek. Few people remember that Mark lived in York, trained in the York gym and worked on the magazine staff during the year leading up to the 1976 Olympics.

Mark did a lot to liven up the York lifting scene with his Herculean workouts. However, I'll never forget the 1976 Middle Atlantic Championships which was the first time I actually saw him compete. His extreme power and mastery of the tremendous poundages he lifted that night shocked and excited everyone in attendance. Of course, a successful 490 1/2-pound clean and jerk by a man weighing 237 or 238 (if I remember correctly) tended to leave a lasting impression, especially back in those days.

Jan Dellinger

Guest Will Lambert

I, personally, find it such a gratifying honour to participate with members here, at 'IH' that have the depth of personal experience in the pursuits of Iron and the journalism of very beloved era's to me. Welcome Mark!! Great to have, another, York 'illumnia!!

Will Lambert.

David Harrington

Welcome aboard, Mark. It is an honor to have you here. I still have your autographs.

---David

Mark, please see the link below. I am pretty sure 1975 was when this incident occurred though I could be mistaken. I was 16 and my friend was 13 at the time:

http://www.ironhistory.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=2395

It wasn't my fault, Mark. :(

Edited by David Harrington
Welcome aboard, Mark. It is an honor to have you here. I still have your autographs.

---David

Mark, please see the link below. I am pretty sure 1975 was when this incident occurred though I could be mistaken. I was 16 and my friend was 13 at the time:

and all this time I thought it was my ugly pug! good for you guys.

I would also like to welcome Mark to Iron History Forums. Now there are two of us on here who were on the editorial staff of the York Barbell publications and shared an office with John C. Grimek. Few people remember that Mark lived in York, trained in the York gym and worked on the magazine staff during the year leading up to the 1976 Olympics.

Mark did a lot to liven up the York lifting scene with his Herculean workouts. However, I'll never forget the 1976 Middle Atlantic Championships which was the first time I actually saw him compete. His extreme power and mastery of the tremendous poundages he lifted that night shocked and excited everyone in attendance. Of course, a successful 490 1/2-pound clean and jerk by a man weighing 237 or 238 (if I remember correctly) tended to leave a lasting impression, especially back in those days.

Jan Dellinger

Thanks Jan, I consider the year I worked with the Big G one of the best of my life. As you know he was a man's man and truly one of the best.

Robert Forbes

Fantastic. Welcome aboard Mark!

Robert Forbes

---David

:lol:

steve stechyshyn

ALL RIGHT Mark Cameron.......what a nice addition. A former moderator here would have been tickled pink. I have heard many of your accomplishments through him. He was a real fan of yours, as am I.

Mark:

Welcome!! What kind of training program are you following these days? Still doing any of the Olympic lift training or general stuff??

Thanks

I follow the time honored do what I can when I can program! I still do the lifts when the old joints permit in the garage and do general stuff at the local Y.