Sign in to follow this  
Joe Roark

Ray Beck, welcome

Joe Roark

Ray, welcome to ironhistory.com!

Perchance are you, or are you related to, the man named Ray Beck who began writing for Ironman in the 1950s?

Please read the rules and post when ready.

Joe

Guest Ray Beck
Ray, welcome to ironhistory.com!

Perchance are you, or are you related to, the man named Ray Beck who began writing for Ironman in the 1950s?

Please read the rules and post when ready.

Joe

Joe Roark

Ray, would you try that again, please.

Guest Ray Beck

Ray, would you try that again, please.

Yep. I wrote for Iron Man.

PROFILE:

Wrote for Iron Man in the fifties. Published "Muscle Canada" mag. Ran Western Gym. Started Canada's first chain of fitness stores. Won Canada/USA Masters BB championship at age 47.

Like the drug free Classic Physique of Reeves, C.Ross, Reg Park, etc. Hope Ben Weider has success with the new Classic Physique division.

Joe Roark

Here are some of Ray's articles:

IM BECK, RAY

Feb 1951 p 6 Can Doug Hepburn become the strongest man who ever

lived?

May 1953 p 13 Nick Mohammed story

Sep 1954 p 16 Doug Hepburn speaks

Sep 1955 p 18 Hepburn on eating for strength

Jan 1956 p 28 How Hepburn trains for power

Mar 1957 p 9 Here is how Reg Park trains

Nov 1957 p 10 Power & bulk training for you: how champs do it

Mar 1958 p 16 Attention- power trainers

Jan 1976 p 25 Walter Milner- our cover man

Jan 1978 p 28 Mike Mentzer's training philosophy

Jan 1980 p 32 The Diamond Cup- co S. Peterson

MB Mar 1971 p 24 1970 IFBB Mr. Canada report

LN Sep 1954 p 1 5th British Empire Chps Jul 30- Aug 7, 1954

in Vancouver, BC

HS Jun 28, 1962 p 13 Gain weight fast

Guest Ray Beck
Here are some of Ray's articles:

IM BECK, RAY

Feb 1951 p 6 Can Doug Hepburn become the strongest man who ever

lived?

May 1953 p 13 Nick Mohammed story

Sep 1954 p 16 Doug Hepburn speaks

Sep 1955 p 18 Hepburn on eating for strength

Jan 1956 p 28 How Hepburn trains for power

Mar 1957 p 9 Here is how Reg Park trains

Nov 1957 p 10 Power & bulk training for you: how champs do it

Mar 1958 p 16 Attention- power trainers

Jan 1976 p 25 Walter Milner- our cover man

Jan 1978 p 28 Mike Mentzer's training philosophy

Jan 1980 p 32 The Diamond Cup- co S. Peterson

MB Mar 1971 p 24 1970 IFBB Mr. Canada report

LN Sep 1954 p 1 5th British Empire Chps Jul 30- Aug 7, 1954

in Vancouver, BC

HS Jun 28, 1962 p 13 Gain weight fast

Guest Ray Beck

Thanks Joe. How did you get a list of the articles I wrote for IM? Must be a digital source. Somebody stole my collection of iron history stuff years ago including Steve Reeves photos. A friend of mine borrowed (yes borrowed!!) a big collection of Steve Reeves negatives from Steve's mom years ago. He made about fifty 20"X14" prints. We had them on display on my gym wall.

The two iron game people from Vancouver who made the biggest impression on me were Doug Hepburn and Walter Milner (Mr Canada). Walter was well on his way to become the only man in the world to win both the "Mr Universe" title and world champion powerlifter, light-heavyweight division in one year when he was killed by a fall from the top of a building. He was a window cleaner and tripped on a rope. Arnold S. and Frank Zane were blown away by this man's steel like muscles. He had a strange metabolism...very little fat on his body no matter how he ate.

Hepburn was the guy that developed the strength training methods and diets that broke away from traditional strength training in the 1940's and 50's. He was Paul Anderson's mentor. I worked closely with Doug for over 10 years. I remember the letters he wrote to Paul. I remember when he broke every record posted on the Muscle Beach record board in a one half hour period. He was wearing trousers with suspenders and street shoes. The Muscle Beach strongmen were in shock!

Ray Beck

Joe Roark
Thanks Joe. How did you get a list of the articles I wrote for IM? Must be a digital source. Somebody stole my collection of iron history stuff years ago including Steve Reeves photos. A friend of mine borrowed (yes borrowed!!) a big collection of Steve Reeves negatives from Steve's mom years ago. He made about fifty 20"X14" prints. We had them on display on my gym wall.

The two iron game people from Vancouver who made the biggest impression on me were Doug Hepburn and Walter Milner (Mr Canada). Walter was well on his way to become the only man in the world to win both the "Mr Universe" title and world champion powerlifter, light-heavyweight division in one year when he was killed by a fall from the top of a building. He was a window cleaner and tripped on a rope. Arnold S. and Frank Zane were blown away by this man's steel like muscles. He had a strange metabolism...very little fat on his body no matter how he ate.

Hepburn was the guy that developed the strength training methods and diets that broke away from traditional strength training in the 1940's and 50's. He was Paul Anderson's mentor. I worked closely with Doug for over 10 years. I remember the letters he wrote to Paul. I remember when he broke every record posted on the Muscle Beach record board in a one half hour period. He was wearing trousers with suspenders and street shoes. The Muscle Beach strongmen were in shock!

Ray Beck

Ray, the list of articles is from my database. I have thousands of such lists which I composed by filing thousands of magazines.

Ray, do you know the truth behind whether Doug Hepburn was in fact invited to try the Silver Dollar Squat in Reno? It has been reported (and he told me) that he was invited, then uninvited, to go to Reno to try to win the money. If you have insight into this matter I would be eager to know about it.

Also, did Doug ever discuss Anderson backlift claim with you?

Guest Ray Beck

Ray Beck

Ray, the list of articles is from my database. I have thousands of such lists which I composed by filing thousands of magazines.

Ray, do you know the truth behind whether Doug Hepburn was in fact invited to try the Silver Dollar Squat in Reno? It has been reported (and he told me) that he was invited, then uninvited, to go to Reno to try to win the money. If you have insight into this matter I would be eager to know about it.

Also, did Doug ever discuss Anderson backlift claim with you?

David Chapman

Not only is Ray Beck a pillar of the Vancouver weight-training community, his is also an author, a gym proprietor, and a very talented photographer. His pictures of BC athletes are a national treasure for all lovers of bodybuilding and especially for all Canadian sports fans. We are lucky to have such a well-rounded person on Iron History Forum. I had the great good fortune to meet Ray several years ago when I went up to Vancouver for the services after Doug Hepburn's death. I found him to be kind, generous and very knowledgeable about the history of the iron game in British Columbia and the Northwest. Welcome, Ray!

Joe Roark

Just so members will not think that Ray ignored my questions, I want you to know he PMed me about them, but was unable to add information about the backlift or the Silver Dollar Squat :)

Guest Ray Beck
Not only is Ray Beck a pillar of the Vancouver weight-training community, his is also an author, a gym proprietor, and a very talented photographer. His pictures of BC athletes are a national treasure for all lovers of bodybuilding and especially for all Canadian sports fans. We are lucky to have such a well-rounded person on Iron History Forum. I had the great good fortune to meet Ray several years ago when I went up to Vancouver for the services after Doug Hepburn's death. I found him to be kind, generous and very knowledgeable about the history of the iron game in British Columbia and the Northwest. Welcome, Ray!

Guest Ray Beck

Hi David,

What you say about me is very true. Can't understand why they haven't erected a statue of me at Muscle Beach (along side of Bill Pearl).

I enjoy reading your well researched stuff on the golden days BD (before drugs). The day I saw a 16 year old bodybuilder dripping fluid from his pecs was the day I stopped running and judging contests. Good to see "natural" strength and bodybuilding competitions are gaining popularity today.

Ray

john corlett

Ray,

I loved your articles in Peary Rader's Iron Man. Welcome to Ironhistory.

Guest Ray Beck
Ray,

Guest Ray Beck

Ray,

Thanks. So much is written today to sell products. i think Iron Man is still an honest publication.

Ray.

Richard Light

Ray,

Let me second what John Corlett said. Welcome to Ironhistory.

The old Iron Man Magazine remains perhaps the best record of the history of the iron game.

Richard Light

Joe Roark
Ray,

Let me second what John Corlett said. Welcome to Ironhistory.

The old Iron Man Magazine remains perhaps the best record of the history of the iron game.

Richard Light

Although many people share your belief, I consider Your Physique to be better for some phases of history. It was a virtual goldmine of Willoughby's work.

Guest Casey Butt

Mr. Beck, we had a short correspondence over email a few years back ...I was in Northern B.C. for a few weeks at the time. You said that you were planning a trip to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. I was wondering, did you ever get down to Newfoundland?

Edited by Casey Butt

Joe Roark
Mr. Beck, we had a short correspondence over email a few years back ...I was in Northern B.C. for a few weeks at the time. You said that you were planning a trip to Nova Scotia and Newfoundland. I was wondering, did you ever get down to Newfoundland?

Casey,

Ray has not been here since November 15. Perhaps emailing him or PMing him may bring quicker results?

Welcome aboard!

Chris Wong

Dear forum members,

I'm a writer in Vancouver working on a book about jazz. I'm sorry that I'm not here to comment about the main topics of your forum, but I'm wondering if anyone could help connect me to Ray Beck. I found out in the attached document that Ray frequented a jazz club I'm writing about, called the Cellar, in Vancouver, Canada. The Cellar existed in the late 1950s and early 1960s. By the way, the attached document refers to Doug Hepburn and Ray and their weightlifting achievements, plus the fact they owned a gym in the same building as this jazz club.

Thanks very much,
Chris Wong

HISTORIC CONTEXT STATEMENT for Mount Pleasant -- May 2008.pdf

Joe Roark

Chris, we had a couple of members who were connected to Ray, so I hope they see this.

Did you see this: