Welcome Mark Canniff

Joe Roark

Mark, welcome to ironhistory.com!

Pleae read the forum rules before posting, then join in when ready!

Joe

It seems to me there was an article several years ago in PLUSA on Gene Roberson written by someone whose last name was "Canniff" (I think). Any relation?

Mark

Joe Roark
It seems to me there was an article several years ago in PLUSA on Gene Roberson written by someone whose last name was "Canniff" (I think). Any relation?

Mark

CANNIFF, MARK

PLUSA Jun 1989 p 33 Gene Roberson

Reuben Weaver

Mark K. & Joe,

I can answer this one for Mark C. Yes he is the guy that wrote the article on Gene Roberson. How do I know ? Mark Canniff & I have been friends for over 20 years & training partners for much of that time. I traveled with Mark C. & Gene Roberson to a Master Nationals in Allentown, Pa. many years ago. Gene was kind enough to help Mark & myself early in our powerlifting careers. I hope Mark will post some stoties in Hemmingweigh, as he has got to know very well some of the greats in powerlifting such as Gene, Mark Chaillet , Don Mills & Big Don Rienhoudt .

Reuben

Joe Roark

Mark,

If you are inclined to share stories with us, Hemingweigh, ernestly awaits your input...

As do I . . .

Reuben,

I did not realize you knew/know Gene. I think he is quite underrated and would definitely be interested in hearing your recollections of him. Is he still lifting? And, of course, as I have said many times, I was very impressed by Don Mills at the first meet I was ever at. So, your recollections of any of those you mentioned would also be appreciated. Did you train much with Chaillet (another great I think is underrated and a genuine nice guy as well)?

Mark

Guest Mark Canniff

Mark

Hi Mark. I was very lucky to meet Gene Roberson very early in my power career. I will tell you lots of good stuff when I learn where to reply in the "hemingweigh" location! I am not very computer literate.

Mark

Guest Mark Canniff
Mark K. & Joe,

I can answer this one for Mark C. Yes he is the guy that wrote the article on Gene Roberson. How do I know ? Mark Canniff & I have been friends for over 20 years & training partners for much of that time. I traveled with Mark C. & Gene Roberson to a Master Nationals in Allentown, Pa. many years ago. Gene was kind enough to help Mark & myself early in our powerlifting careers. I hope Mark will post some stoties in Hemmingweigh, as he has got to know very well some of the greats in powerlifting such as Gene, Mark Chaillet , Don Mills & Big Don Rienhoudt .

Reuben

I remember that meet very well. I was very fortunate to meet Reuben Weaver prior to meeting the legendary Gene Roberson. I was very fortunate to train with some of the strongest powerlifters in the country, mainly when I ventured to Maryland to train at Mark Chaillet's gym. It was an intense place to train as on any given Saturday you could find 5 or 6 legitamate 800 pound squatters (BEFORE the equipment fiasco that is destroying the sport I love) as well as the world record holder Mark Chaillet training the deadlift. Reuben Weaver is probably the strongest PURE powerlifter that I have ever seen. He is a legend in the state of VA for those who respect true power. He commands that respect. He is the most dedicated training partner any lifter could have, as well as my best friend. His training advice is unadulterated and pure, straight from his 30 years of power/weight training. I could tell stories for HOURS about Reuben and his strength exploits. He is the real deal.

Mark Cannif

Mark

Hi Mark. I was very lucky to meet Gene Roberson very early in my power career. I will tell you lots of good stuff when I learn where to reply in the "hemingweigh" location! I am not very computer literate.

Mark

Mark,

On your main screen when you log in, click on the word Hemingweigh. When the forum comes up, on your right there will be a blue box "new topic". Click on it and it will bring you to a spot to type and start a topic on Gene or whatever. Don't forget to type in a title where asked.

Mark

Guest Mark Canniff

Mark

Mark

Mark,

On your main screen when you log in, click on the word Hemingweigh. When the forum comes up, on your right there will be a blue box "new topic". Click on it and it will bring you to a spot to type and start a topic on Gene or whatever. Don't forget to type in a title where asked.

Mark

Thanks for the help Mark!

Mark