Introducing ... me!

Guest Kurt J. Wilkens

Guest Kurt J. Wilkens

Hi --

My name is Kurt J. Wilkens, and I'm going to be 38 years old this coming January. I live in the West Palm Beach area of Florida, and I work in construction as a low-voltage technician (a fancy way of saying, I install burglar alarms, intercoms, TV and phones, etc.). I also operate a part-time personal training company -- Integrated Conditioning, Inc. -- which I am in the process of totally revamping.

It was Brooks D. Kubik and his Dinosaur Training that initially sparked my fascination (as I suppose it did for many) in the old-time lifters and their methods and feats of strength. I am especially interested in the real old-time physical culturists of the pre-WWII era; the ones popular closer to the turn of the century -- Saxon and Goerner, particularly; and maybe Inch. (From what little I have read on this site, however, I fear I may find some of my personal heroes' reputations torn asunder!) I also have a strong (no pun intended) interest in the more current interpretation of strongman training and competition.

I began training with weights as a teenager, probably about 15 or 16 years old -- althougth I'd have to dig out some old training journals to be sure. Perhaps naturally, I started out on the painfully non-productive high-volume routines promulgated by the bodybuilders of the day -- Arnold and Big Louie, Lee Haney, etc. I got nowhere, of course, until I found Stuart McRoberts, who, in turn, led me to Brooks, who led me to the old timers, and here I am. Today, the focus of my training is on both Strongman (via the use of various implements and odd objects) and Tactical (primarily through kettlebells and gymnastics apparatus) workouts. I also train regularly in martial arts/self-defense techniques, which I feel has been and always should be a vital element of Physical Culture.

Thank you for reading, and I apologize if I got a little long-winded -- but any opportunity to talk about myself ... ;)

Kurt

Reuben Weaver

Welcome Kurt,

It is good to see some guys joining this site that are closer to my age group ( I will be 44 next month). We will be the ones who have to preserve the Iron History for the young guys. And don't be worried about your Hero's reputations being torn asunder. If their strength feats are legit they will stand up to close inspection, if not, than the record needs to be set straight.

Reuben

Joe Roark

Kurt, glad you have joined us.

Some posts are too long when only three sentences are involved, because nothing significant is contained in the trio.

Posts such as yours are fine and welcome :)

Chris Martin

I read a wonderful article at dragondoor called " talking training with old time strongmen" by a Kurt J Wilkins, would I be correct in thinking that you're the same chap?

Guest Kurt J. Wilkens

Thanks for the welcome, guys. I look forward to some civilized interaction (not typically found on most other Internet forums), although I may not have much to contribute for a while, as the people here seem much more knowledgeable than I!

Chris --

" ... wonderful article ..."? Well, my ego is inflating right now. ;) Yes, that was me; one of my first -- and only -- forays into 'published' article-writing. I'm very pleased you thought highly of it. Thank you.

Kurt