Membership Method Changed

Joe Roark

On 3/14/2021 at 9:17 AM, Mikko Korhonen said:

In many cases it would be easier if posted information stays only here. For example if I post here something and it contains errors. It is much easier to correct here. When it is spread to many places the error is very difficult to correct and when it is noticed that there is erroneous information it is my fault everywhere and causes problems.

On the other hand I know at least two occasions where I have been thanked for providing information and I must admit that it gave me good feelings.

Valid point. When I have posted something with a typo, or worse, a factual error- if other members quote that post n a thread here on IH- I feel compelled to go into all the quotes and correct them as well as my original post. This has caused me to be more careful- especially when typing on my phone!

• Joe Roark changed the title to Membership Method Changed
  • 3 weeks later...

So if i legally changed my name to joe heroic i cant post here 😭

Jk lol. ;)

Great thread and funny posts. Especially the arbor kind.

Edited by Chris A Martin

• 1 month later...
On 2/8/2021 at 8:34 AM, Joe Roark said:

I am enjoying the closed membership. It may stay this way for a while. Perhaps forever. Maybe we can come up with a vetting process which would be more helpful.

Now, a question. It was recently pointed out to me that there is a member who had visited here for 12 years but has never posted- not so much as an intro. This puzzles me too, and one way I accept it is to imagine I had joined a site but was there to only learn and did not feel qualified to participate. Should I be excluded? In my case, I am a member of a site where in several years I have posted, I think, twice, because many there are scholars in the field and I am only a student. Of course I pay $25 per year so I deserve to be there. What are your views on members who remain in the shadows?

This site (IH) could run perfectly well with 100 members, I suspect, perhaps fewer, because that is the number - my guess- who truly participate, and many of them donate. But if we are here to present accurate ironhistory, then it is appropriate to have those wanting to learn here also.

Years ago someone - more than one- complained to Bill about how I was running this forum. Bill's reply was that he helped with the technical running of the forum, not the moderating of it, that it was my baby and he did not interfere. That was true then and has been since. Bill is unappreciated by many, but he is a genuine workhorse.

Having been treated badly in an all-female group for being myself and posting, I now understand why some of my friends lurk on sites without ever saying a peep.

I answer questions, so would be one of those people who would find an interesting site (usually while researching a question), binge read or watch the site contents for as long as it took, then pop in to verify a fact I remembered was on a certain site. Some places don't have an obvious way to interact, or I can find what I'm looking for without joining, or the thread is closed. Others I just don't have time to visit often.

I went from a dearth of information 30 years ago to drowning in it today, and I've barely dipped a toe into social media! (If Brooks Kubik is the Chief Dinosaur, I'm more of an Ice Age mammal...)

On 2/8/2021 at 1:19 PM, Joe Schwartz said:

This forum is different than some other iron forums in that people can ask what may be thought of as a novice question and others will politely answer.  On other forums, that is not so much the case - some people give rude comments and, I believe, chase people away as a result.  This is the reason I have not joined some of the other forums and why I remain here.  I try to do some research on things (vintage iron, for example) before I ask questions, but a person should not be afraid to ask a question even if they have not done the research.  Sometimes you may not get a response - maybe others don't know the answer - but that's ok.  Don't feel like you can't ask questions.

There is no such thing as a stupid question.  If it is such a stupid question, then why don't you know the answer to it?  Obtaining answers to questions is how we learn.

Some people are shy and may not want to ask questions.  That's perfectly fine.  To each their own.

I would be very unhappy if someone didn't ask questions or comment because they might think that others would provide rude comments.  That would be a shame.  I have not seen that on this forum so I hope people will feel free to ask questions and comment.

Once you know you can trust the content of a particular site, it may be quicker to get an answer by asking there than trying to dig up the answer yourself.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Elizabeth Yogerst said:

Having been treated badly in an all-female group for being myself and posting, I now understand why some of my friends lurk on sites without ever saying a peep.

I answer questions, so would be one of those people who would find an interesting site (usually while researching a question), binge read or watch the site contents for as long as it took, then pop in to verify a fact I remembered was on a certain site. Some places don't have an obvious way to interact, or I can find what I'm looking for without joining, or the thread is closed. Others I just don't have time to visit often.

I went from a dearth of information 30 years ago to drowning in it today, and I've barely dipped a toe into social media! (If Brooks Kubik is the Chief Dinosaur, I'm more of an Ice Age mammal...)

Elizabeth,
First, a warm welcome to our forum. After you have time to check out the various sections, I hope it will be to your satisfaction- several top notch members here, experts in various fields of the iron game. 

1 minute ago, Joe Roark said:

Elizabeth,
First, a warm welcome to our forum. After you have time to check out the various sections, I hope it will be to your satisfaction- several top notch members here, experts in various fields of the iron game. 

Glad to be here!

I see reference to Cyberpump - is that a parent or sibling site? I saw the division of duties between IT guy and admin/moderator...

24 minutes ago, Elizabeth Yogerst said:

Once you know you can trust the content of a particular site, it may be quicker to get an answer by asking there than trying to dig up the answer yourself.

Yes, for sure.

I noticed you are in Wisconsin.  I grew up there (Eau Claire) and so did my wife (opposite side of the state in New Holstein).  Welcome to the forum.

Welcome! This forum/site is helpful and welcoming to all and a treasure trove of historical records and images.   The Iron Game is for everyone and look forward to your future posts and participation.   The crap that goes on in other forums is simply not tolerated here.   Cheers.

3 minutes ago, Joe Schwartz said:

Yes, for sure.

I noticed you are in Wisconsin.  I grew up there (Eau Claire) and so did my wife (opposite side of the state in New Holstein).  Welcome to the forum.

I started college and powerlifting in River Falls, then in Madison. Loved the Hudson Natural Open. Maybe I'll get to compete there again!

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, Jim Tartas said:

Welcome! This forum/site is helpful and welcoming to all and a treasure trove of historical records and images.   The Iron Game is for everyone and look forward to your future posts and participation.   The crap that goes on in other forums is simply not tolerated here.   Cheers.

Hmmm...methinks when I need an antidode from a few certain cesspools I can come here...

34 minutes ago, Elizabeth Yogerst said:

Glad to be here!

I see reference to Cyberpump - is that a parent or sibling site? I saw the division of duties between IT guy and admin/moderator...

Bill Piche owns cyberpump.com, and the GripBoard. In 2003 he asked me if I would be interested in having my own site, hence ironhistory,com. I was Men's historian for the IFBB for 17 years, so my field is bodybuilding. Bill also helps with tech here since my ability (and interest) in tech, is zero.
So, yes, cyberpump is a sister site. If you become a donor here you also have access to cyberpump.com where you will find a treasure of information. I also provide a Friday column on cyberpump in exchange for having ironhistory.
Bill NEVER interferes here but always helps when asked.