Bill Pearl's Home in Danger?

john corlett

I just heard on the news that a serious wildfire is threatening the town of Phoenix, Oregon.  This is where bodybuilding legend Bill Pearl and his wife Judy live.  I found this on the internet:

• Sad 1
peter yates

Yes John, i too hope he and Judy are safe.Also Dave Draper who did not reply to an email i sent last week.He usually gets back in a couple of days at the most.

Joe Roark

I just saw online that five towns in Oregon were essentially burned, and Phoenix was one of them. He was rural near there, right? I hope the flames spared him and Judy.

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2020-09-09/explosive-western-us-wildfires-threaten-oregon-towns

john corlett
2 hours ago, Joe Roark said:

I just saw online that five towns in Oregon were essentially burned, and Phoenix was one of them. He was rural near there, right? I hope the flames spared him and Judy.

https://www.usnews.com/news/top-news/articles/2020-09-09/explosive-western-us-wildfires-threaten-oregon-towns

Where Bill actually lives in that area, I do not know.  He used to have a post office box in Phoenix but I do not know if he still does.  On occasion it is mentioned that he lives in Phoenix and at other times it is mentioned that he lives in Talent so perhaps he lives in an area that is on the outskirts of both towns.  He might live on the outskirts of either town since he has a barn that has been converted into a very well-equipped gym.  And he must have some out-buildings to store his numerous antique automobiles.  We can only hope that the fire somehow by-passed him and his property.

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/2020/09/southern-oregon-almeda-wildfire-update-50-people-unaccounted-for.html

Edited by john corlett
video link added
Joe Roark
43 minutes ago, john corlett said:

Where Bill actually lives in that area, I do not know.  He used to have a post office box in Phoenix but I do not know if he still does.  On occasion it is mentioned that he lives in Phoenix and at other times it is mentioned that he lives in Talent so perhaps he lives in an area that is on the outskirts of both towns.  He might live on the outskirts of either town since he has a barn that has been converted into a very well-equipped gym.  And he must have some out-buildings to store his numerous antique automobiles.  We can only hope that the fire somehow by-passed him and his property.

https://www.oregonlive.com/pacific-northwest-news/2020/09/southern-oregon-almeda-wildfire-update-50-people-unaccounted-for.html

Talent has lost about 600 homes.

john corlett

Here is a link to the article on Bill Pearl after he had moved to Oregon written by the late Terry Todd that appeared in the July 18, 1983 issue of Sports Illustrated.  You can see his barn is in a very wooded area.

https://vault.si.com/vault/43706#&gid=ci0258bfc8d00e278a&pid=43706---041---image

John McCarthy

An old order sheet from Bill's book shows 4748 South Pacific Highway, Phoenix, Or. 97535. I don't know where you could find if that address is not involved in the fire.

Jarett Hulse
9 hours ago, john corlett said:

Here is a link to the article on Bill Pearl after he had moved to Oregon written by the late Terry Todd that appeared in the July 18, 1983 issue of Sports Illustrated.  You can see his barn is in a very wooded area.

https://vault.si.com/vault/43706#&gid=ci0258bfc8d00e278a&pid=43706---041---image

What a great article

john corlett

The Todd article above mentions Bill's "65-acre spread" in Talent so it is very likely that at least some of his property was affected assuming he still owns 65 acres.

Bob Fett

Bill Pearl and his wife have some very interesting collections.

It appears they have really embraced the Chinmoy philosophy.

I've been unable to find the meaning of "Mahasamrat" or "Bhavatarini".

Anybody know?  Googling it provides no answer.

Edited by Bob Fett
  • Like 1
Jack Green
2 hours ago, Bob Fett said:

I think that those are names; maybe in Sanskrit. India has 22 languages; including English.

• Like 2
Ken Sprague
4 hours ago, john corlett said:

I am sure that Joe R. will cringe 😉when he sees this, but this link has several photos of Bill's domicile in Oregon.  I am still trying to find out if his home was spared from the fire.

https://www.peacerun.org/us/news/2018/0607/2824/

John,

Thank you very much for posting that insightful link to Pearl's breadth of interests and philosophy. He's remarking in his development beyond the physical.

• Like 1
peter yates
6 hours ago, Bob Fett said:

Bob, often when westerners become devotees of an Eastern religious/philosophical teacher they are given new names in the language of that Teacher.Most common with Indian based religions.Of course there are many reasons for this.In the case of the more cult like it is aimed at separating a person from friends and family.For the more authentic it can be seen as a rebirth into a more spiritual path.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Mike Fera
8 hours ago, john corlett said:

I am sure that Joe R. will cringe 😉when he sees this, but this link has several photos of Bill's domicile in Oregon.  I am still trying to find out if his home was spared from the fire.

https://www.peacerun.org/us/news/2018/0607/2824/

I have a friend whose daughter lives in Medford, OR, very close to Pearl's town. As of this 11 AM (Pacific) this morning, the fire is still being fought, but no public access to the area is allowed so she couldn't drive by. However knowing where Pearl's home is located, she feels it should still be OK. But there is a power outage in the area.

• Like 3
john corlett
40 minutes ago, Mike Fera said:

I have a friend whose daughter lives in Medford, OR, very close to Pearl's town. As of this 11 AM (Pacific) this morning, the fire is still being fought, but no public access to the area is allowed so she couldn't drive by. However knowing where Pearl's home is located, she feels it should still be OK. But there is a power outage in the area.

Thank you for the information, Mike.  Hopefully, your friend's daughter's hunch is true.

Jarett Hulse

From Facebook 

0099BB28-A86C-4613-8FB3-4279F685EF1E.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
john corlett
15 minutes ago, Jarett Hulse said:

From Facebook 

Great to hear!  Thank you, Jarett!

• Like 2
Bob Fett
On 9/12/2020 at 9:08 AM, Jarett Hulse said:

What a great article

As mentioned in the SI article, at what event in Munich in 1980 did Pearl guest pose at the age of 50?

Edited by Bob Fett
peter yates
1 hour ago, Jarett Hulse said:

From Facebook 

Thanks Jarett, that is good to know.

Thomas Klose
7 hours ago, Bob Fett said:

As mentioned in the SI article, at what event in Munich in 1980 did Pearl guest pose at the age of 50?

Yes, he did

96BF02DB-D23E-4EB9-A994-89670C218709.thumb.jpeg.d3e5120cf5f3194df4415fdd8cd7030c.jpeg

DAF9A94B-E1A8-4E24-A7C3-C79D4A6501A0.thumb.jpeg.e8be564950b36de398bcf072cc80c334.jpeg

He was 49 in May 1980.Turned 50 in October.

Edited by Thomas Klose
  • Like 1
Bob Fett
3 hours ago, Thomas Klose said:

Yes, he did

96BF02DB-D23E-4EB9-A994-89670C218709.thumb.jpeg.d3e5120cf5f3194df4415fdd8cd7030c.jpeg

DAF9A94B-E1A8-4E24-A7C3-C79D4A6501A0.thumb.jpeg.e8be564950b36de398bcf072cc80c334.jpeg

He was 49 in May 1980.Turned 50 in October.

Thomas, what event was it?

Thomas Klose
43 minutes ago, Bob Fett said:

Thomas, what event was it?

Bob,

Guest posing at the 1980 DBKV (IFBB) German Nationals ( Mr.Germany) promoted by Albert Busek, who also took the photos.

Edited by Thomas Klose
  • Thanks 1