Gold's to be sold?

Joe Roark
Marc Martinez

TRT has been testing the waters for years on selling. They overpaid when they purchased from Brockway-Moran, and the asking price now is lower than a couple of years ago.

Edited by Marc Martinez
Spelling
Thomas Klose

Oh, I see the group purchasing Gold‘s is from Germany.

RSG- Rainer Schaller Global Group

They run the McFit Gym Chain here.Also High 5 and John Reed.

Thomas Klose

FEA99845-1097-48E9-AA58-98EB8A767D9E.thumb.jpeg.bdbfdfe364ea9269120b9fcf727e1f03.jpeg

From Rainer Schaller:

„For me personally, Gold's Gym exemplifies the primordial rock of the fitness industry, which played a decisive role in the development of the industry. It played an essential role as a source of inspiration in 1997 when my first McFIT studio was created in Würzburg," says Rainer Schaller. I am incredibly proud that together with the current management team, we will continue to live and inspire the Gold's Gym brand under the umbrella of the RSG Group in the future. With the takeover of Gold's Gym, we are following in the footsteps of great footsteps and a legacy that I have great respect for. Our goal is to focus on the core values of Gold's Gym and to find the right balance between preserving the roots and developing the brand." Rainer Schaller, founder and CEO of the RSG Group„

Ken Sprague
5 hours ago, Thomas Klose said:

FEA99845-1097-48E9-AA58-98EB8A767D9E.thumb.jpeg.bdbfdfe364ea9269120b9fcf727e1f03.jpeg

From Rainer Schaller:

„For me personally, Gold's Gym exemplifies the primordial rock of the fitness industry, which played a decisive role in the development of the industry. It played an essential role as a source of inspiration in 1997 when my first McFIT studio was created in Würzburg," says Rainer Schaller. I am incredibly proud that together with the current management team, we will continue to live and inspire the Gold's Gym brand under the umbrella of the RSG Group in the future. With the takeover of Gold's Gym, we are following in the footsteps of great footsteps and a legacy that I have great respect for. Our goal is to focus on the core values of Gold's Gym and to find the right balance between preserving the roots and developing the brand." Rainer Schaller, founder and CEO of the RSG Group„

I love to analyze the messages in PR, knowing that it's all a sales job. But it's made me an intractable cynic of human nature.  Just what are "the core values of Gold's Gym"? 🤣😂 

• Haha 1
  • Confused 1
Joe Roark
10 minutes ago, Ken Sprague said:

I love to analyze the messages in PR, knowing that it's all a sales job. But it's made me an intractable cynic of human nature.  Just what are "the core values of Gold's Gym"? 🤣😂 

I also wondered what that meant.

Bob Fett
23 minutes ago, Ken Sprague said:

Making as much money as possible.

^_^

• Haha 1
Thomas Klose
44 minutes ago, Ken Sprague said:

Ken,

I don’t know his background but I am sure he has searched the Gold‘s history before the deal.He recognized the value of the brand

He must be a good businessman and knows the marketing bs, of course.

Besides being a chain/franchise Gold‘s may kept contact to its origins layed out by a Mr.Sprague in the early 1970s and Mr.Grymkowski and partners later. Besides fitness you could always train hardcore there.

Rainer Schaller had his moment of „fame“ in Germany as he was organizer of the 2010 Love parade in Duisburg resulting in a tragedy with 21 death victims.

Edited by Thomas Klose
Thomas Klose
10 minutes ago, Bob Fett said:

Making as much money as possible.

^_^

Would you invest 100 million $ in in a bankrupt gym chain In Corona times, Bob?

Bob Fett
37 minutes ago, Thomas Klose said:

Would you invest 100 million $ in in a bankrupt gym chain In Corona times, Bob?

I must be careful with Moldovia's treasury as it is the security of my loyal subjects, therefore I would have to examine Golds Gym very carefully as an investment, so I cannot answer.

Thomas Klose
43 minutes ago, Bob Fett said:

I must be careful with Moldovia's treasury as it is the security of my loyal subjects, therefore I would have to examine Golds Gym very carefully as an investment, so I cannot answer.

You should run for president in another country.

• Haha 1
Ed Mines

For years corporate gold's gym bled their franchisees.

Finally many figured out that the golds name was not worth all that money.

I hope those businessmen who supped at the trough take a much bigger financial loss.

Marc Martinez

Pete Grymkowski much like Ken Sprague, knew the value in creating a brand, and maintaining that brand. They had two different ways in going about it. Ken had stated he would've kept it at one location, Pete used licensing to spread the name. Pete and Tim Kimber were dyed in the wool bodybuilders, and Ed Connors was a bodybuilding fan, so Sprague felt that a passion and respect was there when selling the gym. Brockway Moran and TRT and now RSG are holding companies. They are like the dilettante who has resources to go out and purchase what they feel are “the best of everything.”  They may have no knowledge of the story behind any of their purchases  or the legacy of their holdings, they just like looking at the shelves of all they bought, and to impress their party guests. Not sure how RSG will be different from the previous two regimes.

• Like 1
Thomas Klose
36 minutes ago, Marc Martinez said:

Pete Grymkowski much like Ken Sprague, knew the value in creating a brand, and maintaining that brand. They had two different ways in going about it. Ken had stated he would've kept it at one location, Pete used licensing to spread the name. Pete and Tim Kimber were dyed in the wool bodybuilders, and Ed Connors was a bodybuilding fan, so Sprague felt that a passion and respect was there when selling the gym. Brockway Moran and TRT and now RSG are holding companies. They are like the dilettante who has resources to go out and purchase what they feel are “the best of everything.”  They may have no knowledge of the story behind any of their purchases  or the legacy of their holdings, they just like looking at the shelves of all they bought, and to impress their party guests. Not sure how RSG will be different from the previous two regimes.

Marc,

Rainer Schaller ( the man behind RSG) started with one gym In Germany over 20 years ago (1997)

He built up the most successful gym chain in Europe.

I am sure he knows the names and ideas of Sprague, Grymkowski, Kimber and Connors etc..

No, Gold‘s will not be the same like in 1977 but give him a chance.....

Thomas

Edited by Thomas Klose
  • Like 1
Marc Martinez
1 hour ago, Thomas Klose said:

Marc,

Rainer Schaller ( the man behind RSG) started with one gym In Germany over 20 years ago (1997)

He built up the most successful gym chain in Europe.

I am sure he knows the names and ideas of Sprague, Grymkowski, Kimber and Connors etc..

No, Gold‘s will not be the same like in 1977 but give him a chance.....

Thomas

Thomas, if Rainer has had a gym since 1997, then he he has an idea. Like you stated, he had built up a chain of gyms, which already gives him a leg up on Brockway/Moran and TRT.  He knows the fitness business, the holding companies did not.

I find it curious  though that TRT is still involved in this deal, at least for a while. Odd that RSG would let the "captains" than ran the ship into the iceberg, stick around. 

Edited by Marc Martinez
syntax
Thomas Klose
5 hours ago, Marc Martinez said:

I find it curious  though that TRT is still involved in this deal, at least for a while. Odd that RSG would let the "captains" than ran the ship into the iceberg, stick around. 

Marc,

probably this was part of the auction.

I don’t know.

Thanks for your input I will follow this!

Thomas

• Like 1
Thomas Klose

To give you some more Information, here is his project with the world´s largest gym -590,000 square feet- "The Mirai" in Oberhausen, where individuals can train for free: 

MIRAI, ‘The Future,’ Unfolds in Germany

This fall, two European industry leaders conducted a series of workshops in Germany to discuss a futuristic new venture. Rainer Schaller, the founder and CEO of McFit, Europe’s biggest club chain, and Ralph Scholz, the former event director for FIBO, teamed up to help bring their idea to fruition.

Industry News Mirai Project Column

The MIRAI project gets rolling.

The project goes by the name of MIRAI. The word, which means “the future” in Japanese, couldn’t be more apt. The venture will not only create the world’s largest fitness center, but also will utilize one of its most unique business models, according to project managers.

When completed in late 2019 or early 2020, MIRAI will be a 590,000-square-foot facility that’s designed to encompass “all things fitness related.” Situated in Oberhausen, Germany, it will offer state-of-the-art workout amenities, plus an academic campus, and areas for the use of special events, fitness startups, and healthcare professionals. Individuals will be allowed to train for free, with revenues generated via sponsorships and other forms of partnerships.

The concept was introduced at a B2B event in Oberhausen last July, and over 60 parties have already signed letters of intent expressing their intention to participate financially. The fall workshops with those prospective partners examined their needs and those of MIRAI’s customers, and explored topics such as education, innovation, technology, and research and development. Next year, additional workshops will flesh out other Details.

Ken Sprague
5 hours ago, Thomas Klose said:

To give you some more Information, here is his project with the world´s largest gym -590,000 square feet- "The Mirai" in Oberhausen, where individuals can train for free: 

MIRAI, ‘The Future,’ Unfolds in Germany

This fall, two European industry leaders conducted a series of workshops in Germany to discuss a futuristic new venture. Rainer Schaller, the founder and CEO of McFit, Europe’s biggest club chain, and Ralph Scholz, the former event director for FIBO, teamed up to help bring their idea to fruition.

Industry News Mirai Project Column

The MIRAI project gets rolling.

Thomas,

Thanks for the postThe project goes by the name of MIRAI. The word, which means “the future” in Japanese, couldn’t be more apt. The venture will not only create the world’s largest fitness center, but also will utilize one of its most unique business models, according to project managers.

When completed in late 2019 or early 2020, MIRAI will be a 590,000-square-foot facility that’s designed to encompass “all things fitness related.” Situated in Oberhausen, Germany, it will offer state-of-the-art workout amenities, plus an academic campus, and areas for the use of special events, fitness startups, and healthcare professionals. Individuals will be allowed to train for free, with revenues generated via sponsorships and other forms of partnerships.

The concept was introduced at a B2B event in Oberhausen last July, and over 60 parties have already signed letters of intent expressing their intention to participate financially. The fall workshops with those prospective partners examined their needs and those of MIRAI’s customers, and explored topics such as education, innovation, technology, and research and development. Next year, additional workshops will flesh out other Details.

Thomas,

Thanks for the post. Please keep us informed on the development of MIRAI as information becomes available in Germany. I have a sense of how the owners plan to make money out of the project, but I don't want to be precipitous w/ my comments. [The PR splash indicates a completion date in 2019-early 2020---has, in fact, the facility (as described} been completed and opened.

Ken

Thomas Klose
37 minutes ago, Ken Sprague said:

Thomas,

Thanks for the post. Please keep us informed on the development of MIRAI as information becomes available in Germany. I have a sense of how the owners plan to make money out of the project, but I don't want to be precipitous w/ my comments. [The PR splash indicates a completion date in 2019-early 2020---has, in fact, the facility (as described} been completed and opened.

Ken

I will do, Ken.

Opening date is 2022 now.

https://www.themirai.com

this is the concept in motion pictures

Thomas

Edited by Thomas Klose
Liam Tweed

It not as new a concept as you think 

most of what is in the internet is free ...think of youtube channels

people make a living providing free content and selling advertising

Joe Rogan makes huge money from a free podcast

and to be absolutely honest most of his guests are total morons (the idiot comedians) only about 1 in 10 podcasts are worth listening to and frankly Joe isnt that great a host and not even a great comedian himself 

Much of the time he smokes weed and get high witn his guests

snd yet he is financially very successful????  

amazing new world...  eventually everything will have to be free otherwise nobody will be interested 

Liam

Edited by Liam Tweed
  • Like 1
Ed Mines
18 hours ago, Marc Martinez said:

is he one of the stickmen on the stage?

Thomas Klose
13 hours ago, Ed Mines said:

is he one of the stickmen on the stage?

Yes, but at 51 it is better to be stickman than a fatman.

Ed Mines
6 hours ago, Thomas Klose said:

I would not consider either to be knowledgeable about bodybuilding.

Fitness and weight training are only peripherally connected.

Ray Nobile
8 hours ago, Thomas Klose said:

😂😂😂😂😂

Thomas Klose

Here is some first hand background information on Rainer Schaller.

I just talked to former World Champion Bench Presser Frank Pfraumer. We are friends for over 25 years.

Frank owned Bodymania Gym until 1995. Rainer, who trained with Frank on and off, bought the place and took the equipment to build the first „ McFit- Gym“ around 1997.

Frank adviced him to use Gym 80 equipment ( leading German brand).Rainer listened.

So Rainer Schaller knows powerlifting, bodybuilding from the grass roots in some way.

We should wish him well with the purchase of Gold‘s Gym!

Thomas