Ray Nobile

gyms close.

Ray Nobile

no more training for me till april 13th. bulgaria has shut down all public places and sporting grounds.also resturants and pubs and places of public gatherings.this includes gyms. its due to the corona virus.anyone violating the law will be subject to 5 years in prison. wonder if the prison gyms will be shut.been training for 55 years now and hardly missed a week from training.time to dig out the maxalding courses methinks.

Thomas Klose
11 minutes ago, Ray Nobile said:

no more training for me till april 13th. bulgaria has shut down all public places and sporting grounds.also resturants and pubs and places of public gatherings.this includes gyms. its due to the corona virus.anyone violating the law will be subject to 5 years in prison. wonder if the prison gyms will be shut.been training for 55 years now and hardly missed a week from training.time to dig out the maxalding courses methinks.

You should build a small unit at the house, Ray.

Thomas

peter yates

Hi Ray, i know you are an inventive guy and will be finding ways to keep working out.Push ups,pull ups if you can find something, high rep squats, lunge squats etc.My philosophy is wherever your body is you have a gym.Let us know what you come up with.

Peter.

Jack Green

Ray, it's almost that crazy here. I'm with Peter on this: wherever your body is, you have a gym. I've used chairs for dips, water bottles, paint cans, and concrete blocks for weights. Bodyweight for a lot of stuff....  your body will thank you later.

Jack

• Like 1

Ray Nobile

thanks peter and jack for your adcice. yes i will continue to work out doing free exercises like pushups and curls etc. i have just had a pellet boiler installed in my house.this replaces the wood burner i previously used to heat 8 radiators. so i have 5 tons of logs in my barn that i have no use for, or so i thought. these come in various sizes and weight.so i will adapt these into my workouts. like log pressing and bicep curls.i live in a small village surounded with forrests and trails.no imediate neighbours. tomorrow i am going to load my wheelbarow with logs and push it up some steep trails. this should take care of my back and leg strength and overall fitness, plus it should be fun.yes thomas ,once i get the barn cleared of the logs, i plan on converting it into a gym. the local farmer has offered to take the logs soon.

• Like 4

Ed Mines

Ray, your many accomplishments show you are made of sterner stuff than most men. I don't know if this will apply to you but it will to most barbell men.

Just before my last employer closed their doors my doctor told me to have my umbilical hernia surgically repaired while I still had health insurance.

I couldn't work out with weights for 6 weeks. I walked on a treadmill but that was it.

The shoulder pain that I'd had for so many years disappeared.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

peter yates

Hi Ed, sometimes a forced lay off can be the best medicine.Glad that worked out for you.

Mike Fera

Five years in prison??

peter yates
On 3/14/2020 at 11:16 AM, Ray Nobile said:

thanks peter and jack for your adcice. yes i will continue to work out doing free exercises like pushups and curls etc. i have just had a pellet boiler installed in my house.this replaces the wood burner i previously used to heat 8 radiators. so i have 5 tons of logs in my barn that i have no use for, or so i thought. these come in various sizes and weight.so i will adapt these into my workouts. like log pressing and bicep curls.i live in a small village surounded with forrests and trails.no imediate neighbours. tomorrow i am going to load my wheelbarow with logs and push it up some steep trails. this should take care of my back and leg strength and overall fitness, plus it should be fun.yes thomas ,once i get the barn cleared of the logs, i plan on converting it into a gym. the local farmer has offered to take the logs soon.

Hey Ray, suddenly i have loads of ideas of how i would be manipulating that stack of logs.The barrow pushing is a great idea and to get the opposite effect you could tie a rope to a big log and drag it uphill.Also lug and load comes to mind,all stuff from your strongman days. Do you have a gin wheel in the barn? If so you could fill a sack with rocks and hoist it up,like Rocky.How is your caber tossing? Anyway keep us updated on how you go with it mate.

Peter.

Karl shellgren

Gyms are closed in Allegheny county Pittsburgh Pa.

Mark Mills

Gyms are closed in Ohio. :(

Ray Nobile

back to the gym now. my friend and sometimes training partner hristo hristomer overall ifbb mr world 2004 and 2012 ,who owns the biggest and best gym in veliko tarnavo has got permision to allow his friends and family to continue to train in his gym. however the general public will not be allowed to enter the gym.he has a lot of clout with the local politicians who he had a meeting with and they aggreed to allow a handful of his friends to train.great news. yesterday i loaded my wheelbarrow with logs and pushed it through my village into the forrest. pushed it up a trail which i reckon had a 10 percent incline. and a length of 300 metres.dont know the weight of the barrow but it wasnt light or too heavy. done 5 sets of this.by the 3rd push i was begining to feel the effort.had to rest 10 minutes before doing the other two sets. pushing the barrow uphill was hard enough, however it was hard going downhill also pulling back so the barrow didnt run away from me. woke up this morning with pain in muscles i never knew i had.legs quads and hamsrtrings and calfs all sore. hands and fingers and traps also sore.all sore in a good way though.i may continue doing this in additon to my normal weights workouts.

• Like 8

peter yates
5 hours ago, Ray Nobile said:

back to the gym now. my friend and sometimes training partner hristo hristomer overall ifbb mr world 2004 and 2012 ,who owns the biggest and best gym in veliko tarnavo has got permision to allow his friends and family to continue to train in his gym. however the general public will not be allowed to enter the gym.he has a lot of clout with the local politicians who he had a meeting with and they aggreed to allow a handful of his friends to train.great news. yesterday i loaded my wheelbarrow with logs and pushed it through my village into the forrest. pushed it up a trail which i reckon had a 10 percent incline. and a length of 300 metres.dont know the weight of the barrow but it wasnt light or too heavy. done 5 sets of this.by the 3rd push i was begining to feel the effort.had to rest 10 minutes before doing the other two sets. pushing the barrow uphill was hard enough, however it was hard going downhill also pulling back so the barrow didnt run away from me. woke up this morning with pain in muscles i never knew i had.legs quads and hamsrtrings and calfs all sore. hands and fingers and traps also sore.all sore in a good way though.i may continue doing this in additon to my normal weights workouts.

Hey Ray, i was expecting you would encounter some unfamiliar soreness playing with your logs. That kind of activity bring some dormant muscles into play.Like when you were a fireman and the type of work that entailed. While i love my regular gym work i have always been someone who enjoyed challenging the body in different ways.Every spring and fall i like to get out in the yard and play with my tire,various size sandbags and kegs, rocks, rope and wheelbarrow and think up fun ways to pummel my body into submission.

Peter.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Mines
On 3/16/2020 at 10:11 AM, Karl shellgren said:

Gyms are closed in Allegheny county Pittsburgh Pa.

northeast Pennsylvania too and all other nonessential businesses

oh the humanity!

Edited by Ed Mines

Ken Sprague

Gold's, LA Fitness and all gym chains are closed in Atlanta---nationally?

Ken Sprague
9 hours ago, peter yates said:

Hey Ray, i was expecting you would encounter some unfamiliar soreness playing with your logs. That kind of activity bring some dormant muscles into play.Like when you were a fireman and the type of work that entailed. While i love my regular gym work i have always been someone who enjoyed challenging the body in different ways.Every spring and fall i like to get out in the yard and play with my tire,various size sandbags and kegs, rocks, rope and wheelbarrow and think up fun ways to pummel my body into submission.

Peter.

Kindred spirits.

• Like 1

Ray Nobile
17 hours ago, peter yates said:

Peter.

hi peter, the experience i had with the soreness reminds me of a similar event way back in 1980. i was at my peak of strength, having just won the european powerlifting champion ships. a week after the contest i was building a small extension on the back door of my house. i had to lay a concrete foundation. it was 3 meters by 4 meters. had a couple of tons of sand and cement delivered. spent most of the day mixing it by hand using a shovel. found it easy to do. next morning i was aching all over.as you said it must have been using the dormant muscles, which were not used by the squat, bench and deadlift.im certainly going to incorporate your system of pumeling tyres and utilising my logs to further my dormant muscles. many thanks for your sugestions.

• Like 1

Ulf Salvin

So far, the gyms here in Sweden are still open. We have a gym for where I work, at the commune senior center. I closed that down last friday, we plan to have it closed for at least eight weeks! The theater where my son works is playing Phantom of the Opera right now. His friend Emil, the producer, just said they will be closing today. Guess he will file for bankrupcy…

Ed Mines

Just after I graduated from college I had a job unloading trucks at a warehouse.

One day I had to climb up shelves, a job usually done by someone else.

Next day the muscles on the front of my shin were unbelievably sore.

Ed Mines

I worked out at home for about 3 months after hurricane sandy. We didn't have power for about 10 days; no internet of cable for about 6 weeks.

When I finally got internet I found that the gym formerly known as Iron Island planned on reopening (it has been flooded with a foot of salt water.). The equipment had been sent out to be refurbished. One day the sign for the gym was gone.

I later learned there was a dispute between the landlord and the gym owner. The landlord wanted rent on the gym while it was closed. The gym owner felt he didn't have to pay rent since the building was unusable. 

I did an interesting version of dumbbell flyes lying on the floor at the head of the stairs, a little different than flyes on a bench.

john corlett

Where I have been training, the University of California Davis ARC (my alma mater), closed on Monday.  It was recently remodeled and is a state of the art gym.  I shall miss it (photos below).  Back to home training.

newucdwtrm1.jpg

newucdwtrm6.jpg

newucdwtrm14.jpg

• Thanks 1

Ken Sprague
4 minutes ago, john corlett said:

Where I have been training, the University of California Davis ARC (my alma mater), closed on Monday.  It was recently remodeled and is a state of the art gym.  I shall miss it (photos below).  Back to home training.

newucdwtrm1.jpg

newucdwtrm6.jpg

newucdwtrm14.jpg

Now that's a gym!!! Good luck w/ it reopening sooner than later.

• Like 1

john corlett
13 minutes ago, Ken Sprague said:

Now that's a gym!!! Good luck w/ it reopening sooner than later.

Certainly an upgrade from that institution's weight room (affectionately known as the dungeon then) in 1977!

dungeon2.jpg

dungeon3.jpg