Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Howard Menkes

Paul Anderson

Recommended Posts

Howard Menkes

Was Paul Anderson drug free.  I'm a lifelong fan, and I hope so!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Steve Bangert

My opinion  would be yes he was.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob Fett

Not even beer?

PA looked like a stout man.

:huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeff Schanz
11 minutes ago, Bob Fett said:

Not even beer?

PA looked like a stout man.

:huh:

He was a stout man.  :huh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob Fett
2 hours ago, Jeff Schanz said:

He was a stout man.  :huh:

guinness-extra-stout-611-big.jpg

;)

 

Edited by Bob Fett
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe Roark

I do not 'know' . I do know that someone wrote a letter to Paul suggesting that he might want to clear up some claims, but this never happened. And no, that someone was not me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brad wilson
25 minutes ago, Joe Roark said:

I do not 'know' . I do know that someone wrote a letter to Paul suggesting that he might want to clear up some claims, but this never happened. And no, that someone was not me.

Joe - I did not mean to imply that you would know if Paul used PEDs.

I meant that maybe you would know if there was an article by Todd & Anderson that included a discussion of testosterone and steroids.  I think it was part the Todd & Anderson articles that ran in MD in the 60s or 70s, maybe.

Sorry  about the misunderstanding.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe Roark
34 minutes ago, brad wilson said:

Joe - I did not mean to imply that you would know if Paul used PEDs.

I meant that maybe you would know if there was an article by Todd & Anderson that included a discussion of testosterone and steroids.  I think it was part the Todd & Anderson articles that ran in MD in the 60s or 70s, maybe.

Sorry  about the misunderstanding.

No problem. I have my opinion, but then someone told me if he knew whether Paul used, he said no, Paul used ground up coffee beans for energy. I was dumbfounded. Then much later the person told me that he had lied to me, that is, Paul did not use coffee beans, but used steroids. So what does one believe?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ed Mines

Dianabol was first sold in 1958 so i doubt that Paul used that when he won the olympics.

the Nazis used testosterone but in the '70s I was told by a pharmacist that excessive injected testosterone caused skin problems. i had a friend who took a daily shot of test in the '80s without that problem.

apparently the nazis didn't value super strength for soldiers. hitler youth had a slogan something like - "fast as the wind, strong as iron, tough as leather".

maybe they saw other problems with test. they used a lot of amphetamines.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob Fett

I doubt Anderson used steroids.

Is it possible?  Sure.

Methyltestosterone - (Metandren/Testred) - first oral anabolic steroid  - 1936

Testosterone Propionate  - approved 1937

Testosterone Cypionate - approved 1951

Testosterone Enanthate - approved 1954

Dianabol - available in USA 1958

>

The Male Hormone - Paul DeKruif copyright1945

"There was now a new form of the pure male hormone,
methyl testosterone that you could give in the form of simple
pills by mouth, far more practical than the old testosterone
propionate that had to be given in a doctor's office by injec-
tions. Ten of these pills, given daily to these broken men,
quickly raised their weight-lifting power by seventy-six per
cent, raised their weight-holding power by forty-one per
cent; and they recovered thirty per cent faster after tiring.
The testosterone pills not only increased their muscular en-
durance but cut down the fatigability of their nervous sys-
tems; you could measure that by the way their eyes increased
their power to distinguish the flickering of a rapidly flashing
light."

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe Roark

I also doubt Paul used steroids. With his kidney issues it would have been an unwise choice even if he had access, which I doubt he did. Paul was literally a once in a lifetime strength figure. He could not demonstrate that strength adequately in the Olympic lifts because he was not a skilled lifter- he was a brute lifter. His ability in the squat gave an indication of his raw strength under control. His ability  in the snatch showed otherwise because speed and balance were ingredients. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
brad wilson

Not to completely derail the discussion, but here is a video I've never seen before of the '56 Olympic Trials.

At ~ 10:00 you see a very slim Anderson struggling with his presses and later not doing so well in the jerk.  It looks like he cleaned 430 and tried twice, in the same attempt, to get it overhead.

Video of 1956 Olympic Trials in weightlifting

I know it isn't always easy to determine speed of movement from old films/videos, but in this Anderson appears to move easily in his cleans and first two snatch attempts.

He definitely wasn't at his best, and lifted barely more than he did in Melbourne when he was supposedly ill.

There is also footage of John Davis.  Including his unfortunate injury in his last C&J attempt.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomas Klose
28 minutes ago, Joe Roark said:

I also doubt Paul used steroids. With his kidney issues it would have been an unwise choice even if he had access, which I doubt he did. Paul was literally a once in a lifetime strength figure. He could not demonstrate that strength adequately in the Olympic lifts because he was not a skilled lifter- he was a brute lifter. His ability in the squat gave an indication of his raw strength under control. His ability  in the snatch showed otherwise because speed and balance were ingredients. 

Joe,

this statement is the one ( from you) I was waiting for in a long time.

It has it all in these six sentences!

Thomas

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
peter yates

Hi Brad, welcome to the forum and thanks for the terrific video.

Peter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob Fett

PA would be in strongman competitions nowadays.

No doubt with his personality he would be a popular figure.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe Roark
1 hour ago, Bob Fett said:

PA would be in strongman competitions nowadays.

No doubt with his personality he would be a popular figure.

 

 

Paul would not have been suited for strongman competitions, I suspect, because his grip would have hindered him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jeff Schanz

Wouldn't PEDs have curtailed Paul's girth?  His physique didn't reflect one who used, depending on what he would have had available. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bob Fett
10 hours ago, Joe Roark said:

Paul would not have been suited for strongman competitions, I suspect, because his grip would have hindered him.

Joe,

PA would have excelled in the backlift and bicycle riding events.

^_^

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomas Klose

What about Powerlifting?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe Roark
2 hours ago, Bob Fett said:

Joe,

PA would have excelled in the backlift and bicycle riding events.

^_^

Paul was very good and frequent backlifts in the one ton range- the only ones for which evidence exists. The bike ride details seem to have been lost so far.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Thomas Klose
9 minutes ago, Joe Roark said:

Paul was very good and frequent backlifts in the one ton range- the only ones for which evidence exists. The bike ride details seem to have been lost so far.

Bob got you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
peter yates

If power lifting had been more evolved at that stage, both Anderson and Hepburn would have been prime candidates.

Peter.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
carl linich
4 hours ago, peter yates said:

If power lifting had been more evolved at that stage, both Anderson and Hepburn would have been prime candidates.

Peter.

Yes Peter, and both became world champion olympic lifters. We must give them both credit for that.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Joe Roark
On 4/19/2019 at 8:12 AM, Thomas Klose said:

Bob got you!

I do not understand what you mean?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.