Joe Roark

Off Topics Coming Back to IH?

Joe Roark

Are there currently sections of IH that any of you does not visit? My point is, if so, then you avoid those easily. Why not avoid off topics in the same way- you will not even be able to see it unless you elect, via password, to enter it.

Bob Fett
18 minutes ago, Joe Roark said:

Are there currently sections of IH that any of you does not visit? My point is, if so, then you avoid those easily. Why not avoid off topics in the same way- you will not even be able to see it unless you elect, via password, to enter it.

Joe,

You can try it and see how it goes.  If certain topics create discord you can make them off limits.

I presume any posts in such a section would not appear in the "unread posts".

As you have foreseen, comments tend to go off on tangents into off topic areas.  This would still happen in the existing sections but initial off topic threads would at least start in off topics.

I miss the "what book are you reading" thread like you.

Edited by Bob Fett
  • Like 1

Jim Bean
On 1/1/2019 at 1:24 PM, Joe Roark said:

I'm a pretty simple guy. If the topic as I see it posted doesn't spark interest, I don't read it.  On other social media venues, the same applies. Where the topic doesn't interest me, I just don't open it. I have posted on some other social media sites and comments were posted that hijacked the topic. It was pretty simple for me. I just deleted the entire post. Similar with television, if it is not of interest to me, I just don't go there. I'll use the analogy of books. I love fiction (mystery, scifi genres). My gal likes romance novels. I am sure those authors are really good, deliver great content, but it is not of interest to me so I do not buy them or read them.

Ken Sprague
17 hours ago, Jim Bean said:

I'm a pretty simple guy. If the topic as I see it posted doesn't spark interest, I don't read it.  On other social media venues, the same applies. Where the topic doesn't interest me, I just don't open it. I have posted on some other social media sites and comments were posted that hijacked the topic. It was pretty simple for me. I just deleted the entire post. Similar with television, if it is not of interest to me, I just don't go there. I'll use the analogy of books. I love fiction (mystery, scifi genres). My gal likes romance novels. I am sure those authors are really good, deliver great content, but it is not of interest to me so I do not buy them or read them.

Ditto.

Ken Adney

In my view, you should not contaminate this site with an off-topics column.  It is superfluous, by definition, and redundant with other forums (fora?).

Joe Roark

There does not seem to be strong support for offtopics to return.

Ken Sprague
47 minutes ago, Joe Roark said:

There does not seem to be strong support for offtopics to return.

Interest can't be gauged until Off Topics is installed. MPOV: I'd allow all topics---and situate them as are all "unread content." I doubt that the Forum will lose it's fundamental character (ie,iron related content). People can pass unread content w/out opening if not interested. [In my case, I sometimes open no more than 10% of the threads.] On the other hand, it's not unuseful to understand the breadth of social opinions and interests expressed by members---it makes it more interesting to know that a broad range of humanity is bound together by a common thread.

PS: I have the toughest time inserting topics concerning physiology, nutrition, and biology---there's no designated area?---although those topics are integrally related to training and outcomes. For example, there a wonderful book on the heart, "Heart, A History," by Sandeep Jauhar, a book that most members would find interesting and informative---and tangentially impacts training. [I slipped that in. 😀]

Edited by Ken Sprague
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

wolf hasenmaier

I would welcome it. Learning is only possible by reading hearing others input. I agree: We are adults and it must stay out off the other areas.

Some serenity goes a long way and yes, it can be learned. 

How can it be poisonous to allow free speech just in 1 department? Imagine a creative office disallwoing it ... The founding fathers have made their point in regards to free speech. How about taking a lesson from them and not from Adolf?

Edited by wolf hasenmaier
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Joe Roark

Wolf wrote: How can it be poisonous to allow free speech just in 1 department? Imagine a creative office disallowing it. 

Free speech is a slippery slope. The restrictions in place in general on IH are to prolong our stay on the Internet and to not lose members. If people could disagree without name calling, and remain in topic instead of attacking the person, then we could relax. All it takes is one member to throw caution aside then we have threads crumbling.

wolf hasenmaier

i understand that, Joe

On 1/4/2019 at 3:54 PM, Joe Roark said:

Wolf wrote: How can it be poisonous to allow free speech just in 1 department? Imagine a creative office disallowing it. 

Free speech is a slippery slope. The restrictions in place in general on IH are to prolong our stay on the Internet and to not lose members. If people could disagree without name calling, and remain in topic instead of attacking the person, then we could relax. All it takes is one member to throw caution aside then we have threads crumbling.

I fully well understand that.

If people attack others inrthe offtopic thread with vulgarity they can be banned from that section. 

• Like 1

Joe Roark

Politics and religion are out. They are as far from our inherent goals as it is likely to get, and will become only trouble.

So maybe my idea lacked merit and off topics should remain closed.

Bob Fett
49 minutes ago, Joe Roark said:

Politics and religion are out. They are as far from our inherent goals as it is likely to get, and will become only trouble.

So maybe my idea lacked merit and off topics should remain closed.

Off Topics would be ok but politics and religion are too hot and cause animosity and hard feelings.

wolf hasenmaier

Agreed on politics/religion stay out.

Spirituality as well? Most really strong men are spiritual. 

Joe Roark
3 hours ago, wolf hasenmaier said:

Agreed on politics/religion stay out.

Spirituality as well? Most really strong men are spiritual. 

Spirituality is handcuffed to religion in the minds of most. If people want to discuss that, then I suspect it will meet up with religion at the end of the road.

wolf hasenmaier

You got a point there.

11 hours ago, Joe Roark said:

Spirituality is handcuffed to religion in the minds of most. If people want to discuss that, then I suspect it will meet up with religion at the end of the road.

Joe Roark

Interesting to me is that ancient people could separate religion from behavior. They could slaughter a village and then worship their gods.

All of this captivates me, but it is a main railroad with many side tracks which would cause detours as soon as a discussion began, I fear.

• Like 1

Ken Sprague
4 hours ago, Joe Roark said:

Interesting to me is that ancient people could separate religion from behavior. They could slaughter a village and then worship their gods.

All of this captivates me, but it is a main railroad with many side tracks which would cause detours as soon as a discussion began, I fear.

Not just ancient people. 😀

• Like 1

wolf hasenmaier

https://www.brainyquote.com/authors/bill_veeck

That is something that could get posted in offtopics. I did not know this guy but he appears to be my kind of person. 

Joe Roark

I asked Bill to reopen Off Topics- it will be all the data that was there before.

I requested that it be opened to those who donate and to those with 100 or more posts, but Bill says he does not have a way to implement the 100 posts idea, so we are making it available to those who donate, or who have donated.

Bill will do it soon.

• Like 1

Ken Sprague
15 hours ago, Joe Roark said:

I asked Bill to reopen Off Topics- it will be all the data that was there before.

I requested that it be opened to those who donate and to those with 100 or more posts, but Bill says he does not have a way to implement the 100 posts idea, so we are making it available to those who donate, or who have donated.

Bill will do it soon.

Halleluyah---as well as a good revenue stimulus.

Joe Roark
39 minutes ago, Ken Sprague said:

Halleluyah---as well as a good revenue stimulus.

I feel some regret, but the only way to include others (with more than a hundred posts) is to do each individual and I will not ask Bill to do this.

A side benefit is that the controversy should be minimized because members can police themselves by choosing not to enter (aka no donation).

The forum is as it was, except for the reinstatement of Off Topics.

• Like 1

wolf hasenmaier

That`s very cool news. Thank you Joe. 

wolf hasenmaier
1 hour ago, Joe Roark said:

I feel some regret, but the only way to include others (with more than a hundred posts) is to do each individual and I will not ask Bill to do this.

A side benefit is that the controversy should be minimized because members can police themselves by choosing not to enter (aka no donation).

The forum is as it was, except for the reinstatement of Off Topics.

Hi Joe,

offtopics is cool if handled with common sense. I once donated. Not sure if it`s a reoccuring donation. If not then please let me know the details on how to install new donation/s.

Wolf

Joe Roark
5 minutes ago, wolf hasenmaier said:

Hi Joe,

offtopics is cool if handled with common sense. I once donated. Not sure if it`s a reoccuring donation. If not then please let me know the details on how to install new donation/s.

Wolf

On the main page, look for 'Store' which is the third icon from the left. Yes, it is recurring, but you may of course cancel after the first year.

Joe Roark

Those of you who donate will have access to the Off Topics area, but you will need a password to enter, which word I will supply when you contact me. If you are not interested in seeing that area, just ignore this message.

Please understand that we have members from different time zones, so I may not be quick in my reply (if I am sleeping) or away.