Sign in to follow this  
Joe Roark

Strongmen of Paris

Joe Roark

Klein's Bell October 1932. Look at the first sphere before the barbell- see the knobs on it? Is that a kettlebell?

KB1.jpg

KB2.jpg

• Like 1

David Peck

Thanks, Joe. I find the interwar period, especially in Europe, fascinating. The sphere in front looks like a naval mine of the period. It would go along nicely with the artillery shells.

Gilbert Michaud

charles rigoulot was the man.

Michael Murphy

This is a photo taken in front of the Grand Opera House in Paris. The date on the verso is written 1892. I am not sure if this is correct? Might anyone have any thoughts on the date? I know I have one more but I must have misplaced it. The finest street scenes I have seen are of Charles Poiree in Paris.-Michael

Street Scene 001.jpg

• Like 2

peter yates

Wonderful photo Michael, thanks for posting.

Peter.

Joe Roark

Michael, I had been wondering where you were. Now, back with wonderful shares!

Michael Murphy

Hi Joe:

Returned from Greece on Wednesday. We had left on the 30th of October. I have been very busy lately. Ely has hip replacement surgery this coming Tuesday, the 14th, and there has been lots to do here at home as far as preparation is concerned. Fall and winter is usually the time that is best suited for me to post.-Michael

Joe Roark
1 hour ago, Michael Murphy said:

Hi Joe:

Returned from Greece on Wednesday. We had left on the 30th of October. I have been very busy lately. Ely has hip replacement surgery this coming Tuesday, the 14th, and there has been lots to do here at home as far as preparation is concerned. Fall and winter is usually the time that is best suited for me to post.-Michael

Best of luck to Ely and her operation! I jokingly tell friends that when Geni had a hip replacement years ago, that, trying to be helpful, I showed her photos of hips I would like her to have. Here's a hint: don't do that!:D

Michael Murphy

Hi Joe:

Thanks for your well wishes. Ely did take some pictures that I pointed out for her to photograph. Most notably, some of Hercules and Apollo, who I think are both the children of Zeus? These are very old pieces of history that are dated B.C. time frame. I don't remember the exact dates without looking at the pictures. I relate in terms of the 19th century strongmen. For example, I now have a better understanding why Louis Uni was nicknamed Apollo (Apollon). -Michael

Edited by Michael Murphy
correction
  • Like 1

peter yates

Hi Michael, wishing your wife Ely a smooth procedure and speedy recovery.

Peter.

Edited by peter yates

Michael Murphy

Hi Peter:

Thanks for your well wishes. I am sure Ely will be fine. I was able to find a scan of the other street scene photo but I had scanned both pictures together at the same time so the top one will be duplicated. It's here somewhere misplaced. Nonetheless, it's an interesting piece of history.-Michael

Grand Opera House 1892 001.jpg

• Like 1