Sign in to follow this  
Joe Roark

Any members in Irma's likely path?

Joe Roark    2,407
Joe Roark

Anyone live near the anticipated path?

Ken Sprague    845
Ken Sprague

Chris Dickerson is in Ft. Lauderdale. He's decided to weather the storm w/ his two cats.  I can only hope he made the correct choice.

Joe Roark    2,407
Joe Roark
3 hours ago, Ken Sprague said:

Chris Dickerson is in Ft. Lauderdale. He's decided to weather the storm w/ his two cats.  I can only hope he made the correct choice.

Lauderdale is what, 20 - 30 miles north of Miami? Miami is 3 feet above see level, and some predictions are for storm surges of 10 feet. I hope Chris ends up safe.

Liam Tweed    1,166
Liam Tweed

5,6 million people evacuated , thats a pretty big deal

1/3 of residents have chosen to say ?

so in effect they are gambling with their lives

some are going to stay on their boats ???

Im not a Hurricane expert (never seen one, never want to), but If I was living there id be OUT OF THERE 

at least you can come back and rebuild

I dont understand why anyone would live there if this risk is a high probability?

Im not going to complain ever again about our occasional 24 hour water cuts and power outages (thieves steeling cables)'

heck even the occasional knife attack is still a walk in the park compared to this

Im hoping the aged are all moved to safety and those that have remained do not become fatalities

Liam

Jim Duggan    259
Jim Duggan

As the saying goes "Location, Location, Location." Or, " If you build it, they will come." People will flock to the coast because of the advantages of living near the shore. More people require more building/housing, so that the areas in and around the coast are now densely populated. Are they in an area susceptible to hurricanes, yes, but how often does a major storm strike? If it's once a decade, or longer, then that's a chance people are willing to take. I'm no hurricane expert, but I remember learning that these things run in cycles where there may be a period of 10-20 years with low frequency of storms, followed by a cycle where the storms are much more frequent,  or more active. It has nothing to do with global warming, but rather the prevailing upper level winds. I grew up on the water, and during the time we lived there, we experienced two hurricanes. Both times we evacuated, although there was no damage to our house. I remember when the first one came. I was twelve and I'll never forget my mother saying: You have to respect Mother Nature. Kind of hokey,  but the point is, you can't control the weather.

I think anywhere you live, you will be faced with inherent hazards. My Aunt and Uncle have lived in California for almost forty years. They've experienced earthquakes, although nothing major. But just knowing that it's a matter of when-not if- the big one will strike, would cause me to rethink living there. Especially since there would be absolutely no warning.  But they absolutely love it. I used to have relatives who lived in Kansas, where they have to worry about tornadoes. I think that I would be more concerned about a twister appearing with little or no warning, than a hurricane that can be forecast with some advanced warning and accuracy. 

I do hope that the people in the affected areas will heed the advice, and evacuate. Nothing is worth risking your life. Hopefully the storm will weaken, or change path. Is there any way these storms can somehow move out to sea, and reappear off the coast of North Korea?

• Like 3

Chris Martin    108
Chris Martin

Is Mike BonDurant's wife still there, Tomi I think? I met her once, lovely lady. in St Augustine. I hope she is ok

Joe Roark    2,407
Joe Roark
32 minutes ago, Chris Martin said:

Is Mike BonDurant's wife still there, Tomi I think? I met her once, lovely lady. in St Augustine. I hope she is ok

Not sure where Tomi is living. I know last year she had visited her daughter who lives in Australia or New Zealand? ButI think the plan was to return to St. Augustine. Perhaps Paul Quinn would know.

Yes, Tomi is a gracious, warm, wonderful person and I hope she is safe and remains so.

Ken Sprague    845
Ken Sprague
12 hours ago, Joe Roark said:

Lauderdale is what, 20 - 30 miles north of Miami? Miami is 3 feet above see level, and some predictions are for storm surges of 10 feet. I hope Chris ends up safe.

Yep, a little north of Miami. Fortunate for Chris, the projected path of storm now has the eye missing Miami and Lauderdale. Chris must have "posed down" the storm and deflected it. :D

• Like 2

Liam Tweed    1,166
Liam Tweed
9 minutes ago, Ken Sprague said:

Yep, a little north of Miami. Fortunate for Chris, the projected path of storm now has the eye missing Miami and Lauderdale. Chris must have "posed down" the storm and deflected it. :D

thats good news 

so survival is down to luck not science ?

so in the war between MAN and NATURE man relies on LUCK to not get squished ?

interesting 21st century and we are still helpless against nature ?

what pathetic creatures us humans are 

Liam

Bob Fett    1,032
Bob Fett
4 hours ago, Liam Tweed said:

thats good news 

Liam

Luck and flood insurance. ^_^

Ken Sprague    845
Ken Sprague
22 hours ago, Liam Tweed said:

thats good news 

Liam

Actually, humans correctly relied on science to increase the probability of minimizing damage and mortality. A hundred years ago (think Galveston) the impacted populace would have presumed the changing weather was merely a rain shower moving onshore---until it was too late   Thanks to climate science and better tracking through technology, all Floridians could prepare for the hurricane.

Liam Tweed    1,166
Liam Tweed
1 hour ago, Ken Sprague said:

Actually, humans correctly relied on science to increase the probability of minimizing damage and mortality. A hundred years ago (think Galveston) the impacted populace would have presumed the changing weather was merely a rain shower moving onshore---until it was too late   Thanks to climate science and better tracking through technology, all Floridians could prepare for the hurricane.

I was actually thinking of them nuking that b-tch

couldn't they just disrupt it , its just wind?

Liam

Ed Mines    555
Ed Mines
4 hours ago, Liam Tweed said:

I was actually thinking of them nuking that b-tch

I was thinking of using the star wars defense armaments to shoot down north Korea's missiles.

john corlett    208
john corlett

Doesn't Dave Landau live in the Miami area?  Hopefully, he and his collections are okay.  Also,. although he is not a member here, John Hansen, who formerly lived in the Chicago area, moved to the Tampa area a few years ago.  John is known to some of us here; he is an outstanding natural bodybuilder, author, a former Ironman columnist, and has become a very good interviewer in recent years.  Here is wishing that both of these gentlemen are not adversely impacted.

• Like 1

David Hartnett    851
David Hartnett

I think David is in Aventura FL (Close to N. Miami Beach), hope he is safe...

Edited by David Hartnett

tim culver    445
tim culver

Is there any way these storms can somehow move out to sea, and reappear off the coast of North Korea?   ....CLASSIC, LMAO !!!

Bob Fett    1,032
Bob Fett
On 9/11/2017 at 7:28 PM, tim culver said:

Is there any way these storms can somehow move out to sea, and reappear off the coast of North Korea?   ....CLASSIC, LMAO !!!

They do get their share over there but call them "typhoons".

David Landau    23
David Landau
On 9/10/2017 at 5:15 PM, john corlett said:

Doesn't Dave Landau live in the Miami area?  Hopefully, he and his collections are okay.  Also,. although he is not a member here, John Hansen, who formerly lived in the Chicago area, moved to the Tampa area a few years ago.  John is known to some of us here; he is an outstanding natural bodybuilder, author, a former Ironman columnist, and has become a very good interviewer in recent years.  Here is wishing that both of these gentlemen are not adversely impacted.

Thanks John: Never lost Power and Internet/TV was back on in 2 Days.

john corlett    208
john corlett
On 9/22/2017 at 4:06 AM, David Landau said:

Thanks John: Never lost Power and Internet/TV was back on in 2 Days.

Good to hear this, Dave.