Joe Roark

Goerner sandstone

Joe Roark    2,407
Joe Roark

How much weight in pounds?

Goernersandstoneblock.jpg

Ray Nobile    720
Ray Nobile

joe, i think that weight was in german pfnds or pounds. it differs from english pounds. perhaps thomas may know.

Ulf Salvin    214
Ulf Salvin

Hehehe... you won´t like this Joe. :) It so happens that 660 German pfunds is 330 kg, or 727.5 lb.

https://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/history_weight/pfund.html?u=pfund&v=660

Goerner WAS  a genuine strong man.

• Like 1

Liam Tweed    1,166
Liam Tweed
49 minutes ago, Ulf Salvin said:

Hehehe... you won´t like this Joe. :) It so happens that 660 German pfunds is 330 kg, or 727.5 lb.

https://www.convert-me.com/en/convert/history_weight/pfund.html?u=pfund&v=660

Goerner WAS  a genuine strong man.

Ok Alf , that is interesting BUT that lift isn't a real one handed deadlift the way we all understand the lift

far from it , its more like a quarter deadlift of a block weight

strong ?

yes of course

1 handed deadlift ?

no of course not

I do wonder if the 727 1/2 of this lift has transposed into the claimed 727 1/2 1 arm BB deadlift record that has been reported

it seems to me that is actually what happened

mystery solved?

Great photo , he was a powerhouse and a great physique

Liam

Edited by Liam Tweed

Ulf Salvin    214
Ulf Salvin

Of course you are correct. Just teasing Chief Joe a bit. It do looks as if it is this lift that's mixed up with the OADL... Haven't we seen this before on IH? If not, I have seen it elsewhere, and it had me thinking the same as Liam...

Joe Roark    2,407
Joe Roark

I believe we have discussed this before and reached the same conclusion: that we are further confused. S&H reported:

Feb 1963 p 42  deadlift  727.50 one hand- DPWilloughby

"Perhaps the most astounding of all Goerner's feats
                 of grip strength (as well as prodigious power of the
                 back muscles) was his one-hand deadlift (using a
                 thumb-lock, or hooked grip) of 727-1/2 pounds. This
                 lift was made on a standard Berg barbell, the largest
                 plates being 17-3/4 inches in diameter and the bar
                 1-1/10 inches thick. The date of the lift was October
                 8, 1920, the place Leipzig, and Goerner weighed 220
                 pounds at a height of 6 feet 1/2 inch. He was then
                 still an amateur, not turning professional until the
                 following year (1921)." was age 29-1/2.
                [his best two handed deadlift was 793-3/4 Oct 29, 1920]

The 727.50 was on a barbell. The sandstone was much taller than the barbell off the floor (it is above Goerner's knees to start with).

Chris McCarthy    87
Chris McCarthy

More to the point, perhaps...Goerner is almost certainly not lifting that block in that photo.

Joe Roark    2,407
Joe Roark

To me, it appears the weight is above the floor, perhaps two or three inches?

Ulf Salvin    214
Ulf Salvin

The grip does not seem to be centered, either...?

Joe Roark    2,407
Joe Roark
2 hours ago, Ulf Salvin said:

The grip does not seem to be centered, either...?

Excellent point. Perhaps photoshop is older than we suspected. And he is not using his left hand to push on his left knee.

Ulf Salvin    214
Ulf Salvin
19 minutes ago, Joe Roark said:

Excellent point. Perhaps photoshop is older than we suspected. And he is not using his left hand to push on his left knee.

Photografers way back were very skilled in retouching (is that a Word in English) photos, with ink and brush. A better pec line here, a Little highlighting on the delts, somewhat deeper shadows between the frontal ab  rows... And maybe they gave old Hermann some help with the sandstone block? (But I still Believe him to be an extraordinary strong man...)

Joe Roark    2,407
Joe Roark
56 minutes ago, Ulf Salvin said:

Photografers way back were very skilled in retouching (is that a Word in English) photos, with ink and brush. A better pec line here, a Little highlighting on the delts, somewhat deeper shadows between the frontal ab  rows... And maybe they gave old Hermann some help with the sandstone block? (But I still Believe him to be an extraordinary strong man...)

Goerner was strong, yes.But so strong that now 97 years later, no one comes close to matching his one hand deadlift?

Steve Weiner    105
Steve Weiner
2 hours ago, Joe Roark said:

Joe,

It helps to push off the other leg with your free hand but one does not have to do that in order to perform a decent one hand lift.  The photo is courtesy of Kathy Leistner from a powerlifting meet hosted at Doctor Ken's house in July, 2016.  Here I am lifting 300+ pound Tommy O. and at the same time 390 pounds with my right hand, which illustrates my point.  That said, if it is true, Goerner's lift of 727 pounds is amazing. 

_DSC2405_KLeistner_072416.jpg

• Like 3

Joe Roark    2,407
Joe Roark

Steve, yes, the free hand push is not required, but because this was the claimed one hand deadlift record ( on a barbell) I wonder how much more Goerner could have done if he used that method?

And I notice your hand is turned to the proper position for greatest use, unlike Goerner's hand in the photo I posted.

Steve Weiner    105
Steve Weiner

He does look rather relaxed in that picture.

peter yates    319
peter yates
5 hours ago, Steve Weiner said:

Joe,

It helps to push off the other leg with your free hand but one does not have to do that in order to perform a decent one hand lift.  The photo is courtesy of Kathy Leistner from a powerlifting meet hosted at Doctor Ken's house in July, 2016.  Here I am lifting 300+ pound Tommy O. and at the same time 390 pounds with my right hand, which illustrates my point.  That said, if it is true, Goerner's lift of 727 pounds is amazing. 

Great shot Steve, no doubt about your strength.

Peter.

• Like 1

Joe Roark    2,407
Joe Roark
9 hours ago, Ulf Salvin said:

Retouching is a word in English. Young guys on first dates hope their girlfriends will do it.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Chris McCarthy    87
Chris McCarthy
On ‎08‎/‎08‎/‎2017 at 11:14 PM, Joe Roark said:

To me, it appears the weight is above the floor, perhaps two or three inches?

Indeed...but we can't see underneath it - would be easy to have it sitting on a small block of wood (or anything, really) to give that impression.

Joe Roark    2,407
Joe Roark
2 hours ago, Chris McCarthy said:

Indeed...but we can't see underneath it - would be easy to have it sitting on a small block of wood (or anything, really) to give that impression.

Agreed. And enlarging the image on my phone, it appears his hand is not fully closed!

Ben Edwards    32
Ben Edwards
On ‎8‎/‎9‎/‎2017 at 7:47 AM, Steve Weiner said:

Joe,

Steve, that is a phenomenal combo lift!  What was the handle like?  It looks about 1" diameter, but was it knurled, and did you use a hook grip? 

David Hartnett    851
David Hartnett

Steve is a beast, never ceases to amaze me with his lifts...

• Like 1

Jarett Hulse    279
Jarett Hulse

Looks like Dr. Ken is about to tickle you right after this photo was taken.  Goerner was often tickled by Edgar Mueller at the top of this lifts.  Until the unfortunate incident with the elephant.....:P 

• Like 1

Steve Weiner    105
Steve Weiner
On ‎8‎/‎20‎/‎2017 at 4:06 AM, Ben Edwards said:

Steve, that is a phenomenal combo lift!  What was the handle like?  It looks about 1" diameter, but was it knurled, and did you use a hook grip? 

Ben,

Thanks for the kind words.  The handle was made for me by Heath Sexton's father.  It has a diameter of 1 3/8" and is knurled.  I did not use a hook grip for this.  I t was 101 degrees out that day on a blacktop driveway so chalk really did not help all that much. 

Steve

• Like 1

peter yates    319
peter yates
1 hour ago, Steve Weiner said:

Ben,

Thanks for the kind words.  The handle was made for me by Heath Sexton's father.  It has a diameter of 1 3/8" and is knurled.  I did not use a hook grip for this.  I t was 101 degrees out that day on a blacktop driveway so chalk really did not help all that much. 

Steve

Makes the lift all the more worthy.