Jim Duggan

Greetings from New York

Jim Duggan

Hello Everyone, 

I am honored to finally join Iron History! I have the good fortune of knowing many members of this forum, and I'm glad to be able to contribute.

I am 52 years old, and have been lifting weights since I was fifteen. I competed in Drug-Free Powerlifting for many years, then moved onto Strongman Contests. I was lucky enough to have been introduced to York Barbell equipment when I first joined a commercial gym at the age of nineteen. I've made numerous trips to York over the years, especially  during the York Picnic revivals during the late 90s. I was especially proud to be able to compete in the Bob Hoffman Strongman Contests on several occasions. 

I began to collect about three years ago, and have built a fairly decent collection of equipment, books, and magazines. I'm interested in anything York-related, in addition to anything related to my three favorite athletes: John Grimek, Al Oerter, and Bruno Sammartino.

I have written numerous articles for The Dinosaur Files and Naturalstrength.com. 

I look forward to being able to contribute to this forum. 

• Like 2

carl linich

Welcome Jim. I am sure you will enjoy the site.

Joe Roark

Jim, welcome aboard. I look forward to your participation!

Jarett Hulse

Welcome Jim.  You're name looks familiar to me.  I must have read your articles.  

Use the search function.  You will find a ton of unique and interesting info that you can't find anywhere else. 

Jarett Hulse

Jim, where do you train in NY?  I used to live in NYC before moving to Austin,TX, about 5 years ago.

Jim Duggan

The first gym I trained at was Bruno's Health Club, from 1983-1989. After Bruno's closed, I moved on to The All-Natural Gym from 1989-1992. In 1992, I began training at Dr. Ken Leistner's Iron Island Gym. From 2010 to 2014 I trained at World Gym, in West Babylon. For the last year or so, I've trained at my house. Between my weights, stones, and odd objects, I get a pretty good workout. 

• Like 1

tim culver

Hey Jim, welcome my friend.  they don't make em' any better than MR. JIM DUGGAN !!! :)

three.jpg

Mike Fera

Jim, did you enjoy the AOBS event Oct 29?

Jim Duggan

Hello Tim, my friend and fellow Bruno fan! Glad to be here, and hope to hear from you.

Jim Duggan

Hi Mike. I had a great time at the AOBS dinner and reunion . It was a pleasure meeting you ! Love the Iron Horseshoe !

David Pelto

Welcome aboard, Jim. I also am familiar with your name. I have all of the old Dinosaur Files before it changed from print copy, and

I remember you had articles. I will have to go through them again, after all these years.

Dale Credico

This is great news! I've enjoyed your articles in the past, Jim, and am real happy to see you here.

The articles you've been writing for Bob Whelan's site are killer.
By the way, how are you liking Richard's Center Mass Bells?

Edited by Dale Credico

tom davis

I have read some of your articles.

I look forward to hearing more about your training and Dr Ken.

Jim Duggan

Hi Dale,

Glad you like the articles. The CMB'S are great! I usually use them for alternate DB Presses, or DB Curls. I will also use them individually for One-Arm DB Presses, or for use with my head strap when I do neck work. I highly recommend them!

• Like 1

Ulf Salvin

Welcome aboard, Jim. Your name is familiar to me, too, through Dinosaur Files. Yes, this site is the greatest. You will enjoy it! 

Jan Dellinger

Jim,

You are a great addition to the IHF membership. Was not aware that you are a Center Mass Bell fan as well. We will have to compare notes sometime. It is always good to hear your opinion on Iron-related matters.

Jim Duggan

Hi Jan,

Always a pleasure hearing from you! Hope all is well.

I actually purchased my first CMB'S about a year ago, when they first came out. When the heavier ones hit the market,  I bought them, too. I think they're great. I never really got interested in kettlebells, even when they were all the rage about ten years ago. But Center Mass Bells are a different matter entirely. I love them, and enjoy training with them.

Bob Wildes

How close are you to the gym John Boos runs?

Steve Weiner

Welcome aboard Mr. Duggan! A true gentleman and a very strong man!

jim eckhardt

Welcome Mr Duggan to this great community.

Bob Fett

Hello and welcome! :)

Jim Duggan

Thank you Bob, Jim,Steve, Bob.

I don't live far from John Boos' gym. Maybe a twenty minutes ride. Unfortunately,  I wasn't aware that he had a gym u patil I read your post. I checked out the website, and it looks impressive. Anytime you see trainees lifting globe dumbbells, well, you have to lIke a place like that. Have you been there, Bob?

• Like 1

Bob Wildes

No Jim I live in Georgia. I have read that Al Oerter trained with John for a time during Al's comeback.

Jim Duggan

Al Oerter is one of my favorite athletes and Iron Game figures. It's funny- I was talking about Al Oerter with Steve Weiner just yesterday. We both threw the discus during our high school years. If you were a "weight man" growing up on Long Island during that time, then you knew about-and looked up to-Al Oerter. 

Maybe I should check out John's gym, since, lately, I've been training at home for the most part.

• Like 1