Joe Roark

Fact Of The Day

Joe Roark

Discovered this for Feb 25: Leroy Malachi won the 1956 Jr. Mr. Middle Atlantic in Wilmington, Delaware.

Then this follow-up: http://articles.philly.com/2014-11-17/news/56313160_1_west-philadelphia-philadelphia-naval-shipyard-snow-shovel

BY JOHN F. MORRISON, Daily News Staff Writer morrisj@phillynews.com, 215-854-5573 Posted: November 17, 2014

LEROY MALACHI Sr. didn't hesitate to grab a broom or a snow shovel and go out on his block on 61st Street near Race in West Philadelphia, to put his muscle into improving his neighborhood.

And Leroy had muscle to spare. In his youth, he won bodybuilding contests and titles like Mr. Pennsylvania, Mr. Maryland and Mr. New Jersey, his family said.

In the AAU Senior Nationals weightlifting event held in Philadelphia in 1956, he came in fifth in the heavyweight class with a combined lift of 865 pounds - press, 300, snatch, 250, clean and jerk, 315.

Leroy Malachi Sr., a 37-year machinist for the old Philadelphia Naval Shipyard, an Army veteran of the Korean War, and loving father, grandfather and great-grandfather, died Nov. 10. He was 84.

Leroy was a popular figure in his West Philadelphia neighborhood where he was an officer of the block committee and helped arrange events, especially those for the children.

He also was always available to help anyone who needed him, drawing on his skills in home improvement. He was there with hammer and saw and paint brush and, of course, he wouldn't have dreamed of charging anyone.

Leroy was born in Philadelphia to Ella and Jefferson Malachi. He graduated from Overbrook High School in 1948 and entered the Army. He served as a cryptographer in Korea.

After his discharge, he went to work in the shipyard. After 37 years, he was employed for a time in security at the Philadelphia Stock Exchange.

Leroy worked out in his home gym, at the YMCA and other facilities. He competed frequently in bodybuilding and weightlifting contests until he married the former Josephine Bussey in 1957.

Leroy was an avid reader, specializing in history going back to the Mayans, but with special interests in slavery, the Civil War, and more recent dramatic events.

He also liked to study the lives of black leaders through history, and was proud of the election of President Obama.

"He was happy he lived to see a black man as president," said his daughter, Patricia Lott.

"He was family-oriented, a strong Christian man, very kind-hearted. He enjoyed helping out in the neighborhood. Every summer, he helped plan events for the children with the block closed to traffic.

"He liked to keep the block neat and clean, and would go out with a broom or snow shovel to help out.

"The neighbors appreciated and loved him."

Leroy was a dedicated member of Mount Carmel Baptist Church and was always available for whatever the church needed done.

His wife died in 1994. Besides his daughter, he is survived by two sons, David Evans and Leroy Malachi Jr.; 10 grandchildren and 15 great-grandchildren.

Services: 11 a.m. tomorrow at Mount Carmel Baptist Church, 5732 Race St. Friends may call at 9 a.m. Burial will be at Mount Lawn Cemetery.

-------------

from my files for the 1956 Sr. Nationals:

H Paul Anderson 400-335-440 = 1175 340

John Davis 345-320-380 = 1045 233.50

Fred Schutz 300-265-335 = 900 222.25

Bob Jackson 280-265-340 = 885 253

Leroy Malachi 300-250-315 = 865 211.75

Adam Swirz 270-245-315 = 830 240.75

Tom Gursky 280-260-000 = 540 258.50

???? he won: Mr. Pennsylvania, Mr. Maryland and Mr. New Jersey, (I have not confirmed these yet)

He won:

Feb 25, 1956 Jr. Mr. Middle Atlantic

Mar 17, 1956 Mr. Philadelphia

in the Jun 02, 1956 AAU Mr. America he placed below the top 22.

Feb 23, 1957 2nd in Mr. Delaware

Fred Schutz

RIP Leroy--proud to be part of your WL history of that list Anderson, Davis, Swirz also passed don't know about the others--

Joe Roark

H Paul Anderson 400-335-440 = 1175 340 died Aug 15, 1994

John Davis 345-320-380 = 1045 233.50 died July 13, 1984

Fred Schutz 300-265-335 = 900 222.25 living

Bob Jackson 280-265-340 = 885 253 ?

Leroy Malachi 300-250-315 = 865 211.75 died Nov 10, 2014

Adam Swirz 270-245-315 = 830 240.75 died July 1999

Tom Gursky 280-260-000 = 540 258.50 ?

If anyone can help with Jackson or Gursky, please do so.

Joe Roark

Feb 26, 1961 Paul Sanders won Mr. Northern Indiana.

I have found some obituaries for various men named Paul Sanders but none mentions bodybuilding. If you know if Paul is still with us, please share.

Joe Roark

Feb 27, 1953 Rhonda Marks was born to Norman and Dolly Marks.

Joe Roark

Feb 28, 1944 Prof. Adrian Schmidt died. Born either March 4 or 5, 1872.

Joe Roark

Mar 1, 1903 was the wedding of Charles A. Hise and Amy Banta. One of their offspring would be Joseph Curtis Hise.

Joe Roark

Mar 2, 1991 Shawn Ray won the third Arnold Classic in Columbus, Ohio. It was Shawn's second IFBB pro win.

Joe Roark

Mar 03, 1990 Ryan Perryman born to Gary Perryman and Cameo Kneuer. (Cameo is Cory Everson's sister)

Joe Roark

March 04, 1925 Helen Williams born. She would give birth to me on January 29, 1943. Today she turns 90, is alert, living in the house that she and Dad shared for many years before he died.

What has this to do with ironhistory? Without her help in buying this young teenage boy magazines and some weights, perhaps this forum would not be here. She and Dad, although probably not understanding why a 14 year old boy would be interested in lifting or in looking at magazines with photos of muscular men, never discouraged me or tried to re-direct me. I was so naive in those days I did not understand how any of this could be - as it was in some cases- misunderstood. I was not looking at the men, but at the development they had achieved, and I wanted similar development. To attract the ladies- that is after all what the mags promised, and what I believed.

And, in full disclosure, the other magazines showing ladies in less than full dress...I somehow did not mention them to either Mom or Dad. ;) ;)

• Like 6

Debbie Jacobs

The Fact of the Day gets personal. I love it :).

Joe Roark

Photo today at lunch.

post-3-0-83898800-1425500326_thumb.jpg

• Like 2

Bob Hornick

Photo today at lunch.

Real nice photo Joe.

Joe Roark

March 5, 2002 Albena Gaudreau, wife of Leo, passed away.

I was in communication with her daughter before Albena died and she shared some photos with me, and offered to lend me some information on Leo's papers. I declined fearing it would be lost in the mail either from her to me, or on the return trip. I regret that decision.

After Leo completed his two volumes of Anvil, Horseshoes and Canons, he disposed of the research papers he used to compose it! This other material would have been fun to see.

For photos see http://www.ironhistory.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=9301&st=0&p=53961&hl="leo%20gaudreau"&fromsearch=1entry53961

• Like 1

Joe Roark

March 6, 1963 One of the better writers in the iron game was born- Jeff O'Connell. He is now working at bodybuilding.com.

Joe Roark

Patrick Henry said 'Give me victory!' so the judges did at the March 07, 1959, 5' 8" class at Mr. Massachusetts.

• Like 1

Joe Roark

March 8, 1921 Donne Hale born. So far as I know he is still with us, so is turning age 94 today!

• Like 1

Joe Roark

March 9, 2006 Grena Trumbo died.

I spoke with her on the phone on Feb 25, 1988, but all she wanted to talk about was her ex-husband and what a scoundrel he was. I was more interested in her ability in the squat- she once did 240, but she would not veer from discussing her ex-husband of 20 years, Bill. So the call was not productive.

Bill and Grena had two children. At the time of the 1968 divorce, Traig was 7, Tonya,9.

Bob Wildes

So, according to Grena Big Bill Trumbo was a bounder. :lol:

Joe Roark

So, according to Grena Big Bill Trumbo was a bounder. :lol:

They were married from 1948 to 1968, so I was speaking to her 20 years after the divorce, and it was strange- the freshness of her bitterness. Of course, I do not know his side of the story. I wanted to write about Grena but she refused to stray from her castigating chorus.

Joe Roark

March 10, 1992 Bill Reynolds, writer for Weider, was found dead in his home.

I had seen him a few days earlier in Columbus at the Arnold, and having never met him, decided, when I noticed him sitting in the lobby of a hotel, to introduce myself. He was across the lobby and as I was moving toward him, he arose from a chair in such a feeble, weak manner that I could tell he was not well, so I did not bother him. Less than two weeks later, he was dead.

• Like 1

Joe Roark

March 11, 1989 Rich Gaspari won the inaugural Arnold Classic.

Dexter Jackson was 19 years old. Dexter has now won the Arnold five times.

Dexter has competed more often than any other competitor in the Arnold (15 times)

• Like 1

Joe Roark

March 12, 1979 was the day that Gold's Gym was sold to Pete Grymkowski.

• Like 1

Ben Edwards

These facts of the day are entertaining!

• Like 1

Joe Roark

These facts of the day are entertaining!

Thanks, Ben. I try to keep them brief so they will become something many members will check on every day.