Joe Roark

Fact Of The Day

Joe Roark

Feb 14:

1910: Annie Abernathy was born. She would later meet Joe Hise and become his friend. I have some letters from her, and must say she was different in a strange but perhaps harmless way. Annie died in February 1993.

Joe Roark

Feb 15:

1942: British weightlifter, now soldier. Jim Halliday became a prisoner of war for the next three and a half years.

Joe Roark

Feb 16:

1936 John Grimek bent pressed the 209 pound Rolandow dumbell on his brother George's 31st birthday.

Joe Roark

Feb 17:

1940 John Grimek continental and press 320 pounds in York, PA.

A Clean means bringing the bar to the shoulders without the bar touching the body at any point during the ascent.

A Continental allows the bar to touch, even rest upon the body, or a buckle, during the ascent.

So, if you see some people using the term 'Continental Clean, they are saying touched/did not touch, and do not know what they are talking about.

Fred Schutz

Joe--Think JCG brother George lived to be 94

Joe Roark

Joe--Think JCG brother George lived to be 94

Fred, I have George J. Grimek Feb 16, 1905 to Jun 15, 1993 which would be age 88, same age as John Grimek- age 88 when he passed. Do you have different dates for him?

But interestingly:

John lived 32, 298 days

George lived 32, 261 days

Fred Schutz

Joe--No don't have any date--just remember AOBS one time with Joe Abbenda and one one of John's daughters saying her uncle died at 94 but again don't have facts and memory maybe faulty

Joe Roark

Feb 18:

1968: The first WBBG Testimonial Dinner by Dan Lurie, honored Sig Klein.

Joe Roark

Feb 19:

1943: The Dallas, Texas YMCA Novice Weightlifting Championships.

Mom would not allow me to attend because I was only three weeks old. And you thought you had a rough childhood!

Joe Roark

Feb 20:

1971: Region 13 open wl meet in Pacifica,CA.
Mr. Pacific Coast:
1.Chuck Amato, mm
2. Ralph Kroger
3. Paul Love

David Pelto

Feb 20:

Region 13 open wl meet in Pacifica,CA.

Mr. Pacific Coast:

1.Chuck Amato, mm

2. Ralph Kroger

3. Paul Love

3 of my favorite physique men from my youth. What year was this contest, Joe, late '60's?

Bob Wildes

Ralph Kroger was still at it a couple of years ago. I seem to recall he moved to the midwest.

David Pelto

Ralph Kroger was still at it a couple of years ago. I seem to recall he moved to the midwest.

Yes, Bob, he owned and ran a gym in Iowa. I see now that the contest was 2-20-71.

Joe Roark

Feb 21:

1959: Don Elkins won Mr. North Texas (in Dallas).

Joe Roark

Feb 22, 1913

This is the first issue of Health and Strength magazine in which I have found a reference to the Thomas Inch 172 dumbell as 'famous'.

Liam Tweed

As for the Jan. 26 post of Joe's....

165 Chuck Nootens 200-200-295 = 695

Eugene Parker 195-225-270 = 690

Ed Papierski 195-205-275 = 675

Chuck Nootens, the former father of Fred's daughter in law, did what I consider and astounding feat. And that was that Chuck as a heavier lifter later on snatched 300 for about 25 years in a row. That is amazing....very few champs can do 300 at all, but Chuck was like the Energizer Bunny...he just kept going and going and going.

Fred can fill in the details, but this was essentially what Chuck accomplished with that 300 or better Snatch!

That's amazing Terry

few people realize what a feat a 300 snatch really is, only if one has competed in the sport does one appreciate the "numbers", actually even a 300 lb c&j is a notable achievement for anyone.

do you remember how old Chuck was on his final 300lb snatch date (and bwt)

Liam

Edited by Liam Tweed

Fred Schutz

Think Chuck was Nat. & World Masters Champ for many years and held all the records at that time and must of been over 50 when last snatched 300--Maybe someone out there will verify

Joe Roark

Feb 23, 1946

James Millikan won Mr. Indiana.

Terry Strand

Try as I might I cannot seem to find how to get this thread to display the most recent post first which would be most convenient, rather than having to scroll through posts from the beginning ones.

Tried going into the 'settings' mode but it seems to work only for searches, not posts in general.

Thought I had all this stuff down, but seems that I don't.

Help, anybody?

Joe Roark

Terry, I see the most recent post first. Do you mean it happens only in this thread?

Joe Roark

Feb 24, 1940 An interesting team weightlifting contest between the Rochester Central YMCA and the Squires Athletic Club of NIagara Falls.

Joe Roark

Feb 25, 1940 Famed bench presser Jim Williams born.

Terry Strand

Terry, I see the most recent post first. Do you mean it happens only in this thread?

On all threads, Joe.

David Harrington

Terry, are you using a tablet? Awhile back I had a similar problem cause I accidentally changed my settings with a finger swipe. Took me awhile to figure out which setting it was. Thought I had done them all but had missed one.

Joe Roark

I forwarded the message to Bill asking for help.