Fact Of The Day

Joe Roark

Dale Credico
On 8/28/2020 at 6:44 AM, Bob Wildes said:

Dan was one of the most down to earth people I have ever met.

Must've been all those heavy weights he put overhead!
Really, though . . . that is some INSPIRING LIFTING.

• Like 1
  • Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Joe Roark

• Ed Mines

• peter yates

• Liam Tweed

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

January 03, 1962 Reuben Weaver was born. Reuben passed on October 03, 2016- exactly three months ago. We have lost other members, of course, but in some ways, Reuben was unique in our group. Firs

January 11, 1922 My father, Richard Eugene Roark was born. He would have turned age 94 today. When we lived on Green Street in Urbana, Illinois, I had weights in the basement, and although Dad never g

March 04, 1925 Helen Williams born. She would give birth to me on January 29, 1943. Today she turns 90, is alert, living in the house that she and Dad shared for many years before he died. What has th

Posted Images

Dale Credico
2 hours ago, Joe Roark said:

Question. Were there other contests which had names which were also names of superheroes?

That's a stumper. Hmmmm . . .

Ray Nobile

first contest i had seen as a 15 year old was called the mr herculees. held in glasgow, larry scott was the guest poser.

Joe Roark

I had thought there was a Mr. Hercules, and in the crevice of my mind I am thinking there were other names, but the way my filing system is composed it is difficult for me to trace by rare title names.

Joe Roark

I checked to see if I had the Mr. Hercules filed- that you mentioned, Ray. I do not, but I noticed two other Mr. Hercules contests in 1966, one announced for April 23, 1966 for which I have no results, and one for July 16, 1966 which Steve Orsini won. I think there were others so I will check year by year when I have time.

Joe Roark

I started a quick look for Mr. Hercules in 1950 thru 1961 and found there have been Mr. Novice Hercules, Mr. Hercules, Jr. Mr. Hercules, Mr. Hercules of the North, and a Mr. Hercules Strongman- which was a strength competition apparently. The Omaha Hercules team participated in the Sioux City competition.

So I will be looking into this and starting another thread later to present my findings.

Ed Mines

I met a man who won a "Mr. Hercules" contest at a movie theater which was showing the movie "Hercules". He was not a bodybuilder at the time but was an athlete. 

I'll bet he was not the only one who won that "title" in a movie theater. Maybe some theaters had this contest every night.

I saw a trophy for a "Mr. Mighty Joe Young" contest, held under similar circumstances.

Joe Roark

Yes, I remember such a contest in connection with the Hercules premiere.

Joe Roark

September 13, 1960 Louis Weider, Ben's first son, born.

Ray Nobile
19 hours ago, Joe Roark said:

I checked to see if I had the Mr. Hercules filed- that you mentioned, Ray. I do not, but I noticed two other Mr. Hercules contests in 1966, one announced for April 23, 1966 for which I have no results, and one for July 16, 1966 which Steve Orsini won. I think there were others so I will check year by year when I have time.

joe, it would have been november or october 66. larry scott had won the olympia a few weeks prior. he was brought over to the u.k. by bob sweeney. owner of a chain of gyms throughout britain called the olympic health studios.winner of mr hercules was bernard bradford  junior winner was david caldwell. both were runner up in there classes in the 66 mr britaindavid went on to become ipf world champion in 1985  in the 90 kg class.

• Like 1
Joe Roark
4 hours ago, Ray Nobile said:

joe, it would have been november or october 66. larry scott had won the olympia a few weeks prior. he was brought over to the u.k. by bob sweeney. owner of a chain of gyms throughout britain called the olympic health studios.winner of mr hercules was bernard bradford  junior winner was david caldwell. both were runner up in there classes in the 66 mr britaindavid went on to become ipf world champion in 1985  in the 90 kg class.

Thank you, Ray!

Joe Roark

September 14, 1979 Jesse Maurunde was born;; died July 25, 2007 at age 27.

Joe Roark

Sep 15, 1962 IFBB Mr. America:

C:under 5'8"                     B: to 5'10"                             A: 5'10"+               

1. John Tristram            1. Larry Scott mm,ov          1. Carroll Miles Ailman

2. John Benefield          2. Rock Stonewall               2. Larry Powers mm

3. John Bianculli mm    3. Millard Williamson         3. Jerry Howard

annc MB 11-62 p 71; Mr. A 7-62 p 57            re MB 3-63 p 82

Sep 16, 1951 Strength & Health Picnic at Brookside Park

Posing by: Marvin Eder, Roger Servin, Dick Manson, Walt Cuzzimano, Al Sarchaipone, Ludwig Shusterich

annc SH 10-51 p 7 re SH 12-51 p 18, 19

Joe Roark

Norman Marks was born on September 17, 1922, and passed on August 19, 2009 at age 86.

Norman Marks Health Club closes after 65 years
By Angela Woodall
Oakland Tribune

The Norman Marks Gym located at the corner of 14th and Harrison streets in Oakland, Calif.,
 on...«12345»OAKLAND -- A chapter of Oakland history came to an end Friday when the Norman 
Marks Health Club closed after 65 years. And the ending was not a happy one, especially for
 the devoted bodybuilding disciples who made the weightlifting gym their second home for 
decades -- some as long as 50 years. The chiropractic practice will continue. But the gym 
closed at 5 p.m. 

"There are many, many reasons," said Rhonda Marks. She and her sister Wendi Marks took over 

the gym after their father, Norman Marks, passed away in August 2009.

The economy took its toll on business and they lost members after parking-meter rates rose.
 But the real reason, the sisters said, is that after 30 years they need a break.

"We can't do this by ourselves," said Wendi Marks, who will continue the chiropractic 
practice on the ground floor that she and her father built up. 

The women said the machines that fitness legend Jack LaLanne designed will probably go 
back to him for display in a museum. Others will remain for the time being, until the 
sisters decide their next step. They own the building and insist that financial reasons 
are not behind their decision. The gym had been their father's dream, and he cherished 
it every day until his recent death. The sisters carried on his dream for as long as they
 could. "We did it for him," Wendi Marks said. 

"He was a force to be reckoned with," Rhonda Marks added. 

But he started out as a sickly kid. It was 

LaLanne who helped inspire the 12-year-old Marks growing up in Oakland to become a muscle
 man. Marks nearly became Mr. America in 1946 and 1947. He won the title of Mr. California
 in 1948. 

When Marks started out, La-Lanne ran a gym on 13th Street in downtown Oakland. 

Marks followed the example of his mentor by opening his own health club in 1946, when
 bodybuilding was called "physical culture" and there were no steroids, spandex or treadmills. 

Oakland boasted its own muscle beach, producing at least a half-dozen bodybuilding 
champions, including Marks. 

"All he wanted was for everyone to feel as good as he did," Wendi Marks said. 

He made sure memberships cost less than anywhere else in town and that everyone felt welcome. 

"It's tough to see it go," said George Fuller, who joined the gym 26 years ago. The
 "personal touch" Norman Marks brought to the gym kept Fuller coming back. Even after
 his stroke in 1996, Marks would make the rounds of the two-story gym every day, chatting 
with members while dispensing encouraging advice. 

"He didn't like you just going through the motions," Fuller said. 

Marks even opened the gym sometimes on holidays so members wouldn't miss a workout.

"That energy," Fuller said. "That energy."

In 2001, June 26 was declared Norman Marks Day in Oakland. 

"People actually get to know each other down here. And I think a lot are heartbroken,"
 said Luis Garcia, a member since 1966. He joined back when the gym stood a block away 
from its original address, 14th and Webster streets. 

When the gym moved to 298 14th St., the members carried all the weights and machines 
over by hand. 

The gym offered a sense of community and comradeship centered around fitness as a lifestyle,
 Garcia said. "It's the end of an era."

Joe Roark

September 18, 1943 Johnny Fuller was born. Today would have been his 77th birthday, but he passed January 20th, 2006.

September 19, 1970

1970 NABBA Pro Universe: 12 contestants (anyone know who the other two competitiors were?)

Class 2:                             Class 1:
        1. Boyer Coe                    1. Arnold S. & ov
        2. Kassem Yazbek          2. Reg Park
        3. Fanie Du Toit               3. Dave Draper
        4. Nicolas Kemp             4. John Bubb
        5. Moktari Abdelsallem 5. Jacques Louvier

After this contest Arnold hopped a plane and flew so he could compete the next night in Columbus, Ohio.

john corlett
2 hours ago, Joe Roark said:

September 19, 1970

...After this contest Arnold hopped a plane and flew so he could compete the next night in Columbus, Ohio.

As did Dave Draper, Franco Columbu, and Boyer Coe.

Thomas Klose
4 hours ago, john corlett said:

50 years later and now we realize it was just not Arnold Schwarzenegger who made the trip from London.

8 hours ago, john corlett said:

Yes.

Joe Roark

Sep 20, 1970 Columbus, Ohio (Arnold had won the NABBA Pro Universe in London the night before).

AAU Pro Mr. World 

[original date was changed 'To fly back some competitors

who had elected to enter our contest come what may'-OH

IM 1-71 p 16

Short:                                    Tall:

1. Franco Columbu             1. Arnold Schwarzenegger & ov

2. Boyer Coe                       2. Sergio Oliva

3. Ladislav Szalai               3. Dave Draper

4. Zabo Koszewski            4. Dennis Tinerino

re IM 1-91 p 24

• Thanks 1