Joe Roark

Fact Of The Day

Joe Roark

June 06, 1844 The YMCA was created in London, England.

• Like 1

Joe Roark

June 07, 1928 Reg Park was born. Died November 22, 2007.

• Like 1

Bob Fett
On 5/25/2019 at 8:29 PM, Joe Roark said:

May 26, 1956 Jayne Mansfield meets Mickey Hargitay.

"Jaynie...Jaynie!" -- Arnold playing Hargitay in the movie  "The Jayne Mansfield Story".  Mansfield played by Loni Anderson.

Joe Roark

June 08, 1957 The American News Company went out of business. (It was a major magazine distributor)

Joe Roark

June 09, 1979 Larry Scott and Mike Mentzer guest posed at the Pacific NW Championships.

Joe Roark

June 10, 1967 Dennis Tinerino won the AAU Mr. America.

Mr. America   June 10, 1967             Columbus, Ohio

MTI 11-67 p 58      MD 9-67 p 36; 10-67 p 34        IM 10-67 p 14

14 contestants

1. Dennis Tinerino*     76.50   mm (Dec 23, 1945 - May 7, 2010)
         2. James Haislop       73.50   3 mm, b, abs,
         3. Will Whitaker          67.50   2 mm
         4. Ralph Kroger          66.50
         5. Boyer Coe               63.50   5 mm, a, c,
         6. Chris Dickerson     62      4 mm, l,
         7. Gilbert Hansen      59.50
         8. Charles Estes        58.50
         9. Craig Whitehead  58
        10. Kent Kuehn          52
        11. Melvin Meriweather  49.50  (IM says 42.50)
        12. Philip Smeja               46.50
        13. Ronald Schiavoni      41
        14. Dominick Duche        39.50
        SH 9-67 p 21

Joe Roark

June 11, 1911 William 'Chick' Deutsch was born. Died May 01, 1987

SH    Nov 1940 p 23 How CD trains- Klein
                 May 1941 p  8 Cartoon profile - Tiffin

IM 4:3 p 26 @

MP    Nov 1946 p 10 Story- Orlick
                  Apr 1947 p 68 draw/facts- Genovese

IG 76, 86

May 25, 1940 Mr. America
        1. John Grimek, mm, a,             99.25 pts    d. Nov 20, 1998
        2. Frank Stepanek [Leight] c,   97.50 pts    d. Nov 27, 1990
        3. Lud Shusterich                      88       pts [ had won Mr. NYC Jan 27, 1940] d. Apr 30, 2001
        4. Chick Deutch abs,                                                                                              d. May 01, 1987

Joe Roark

June 12, 1964 Joel Brandwein born. Died March 19, 2013. Joel was born on the same day that Jerry Daniels won the AAU Mr. America in Los Angeles. Joel was active on the forum IronAge, so Mark Mills may be able to provide further insight into him. Mark?

Mark Mills

I remember Joel posting on the Iron Age forum. I never knew him personally but he was a good member. His suicide, like most suicides, was baffling.

http://joelbrandwein.com/bodyshotsmall/

Joe Roark

June 13, 2018 Chuck Vinci died. Born February 28, 1933. Fascinating weightlifter for America's team. A friend, in an  email to me, described Vinci as 'unlettered, but strong as fresh garlic'.

Jan Dellinger

It has always been hard for me to comprehend how people who could not read got through life, even in the mid-20th Century, but they did, often in a prosperous way.  Tenacity of work ethic, will and resourceful cleverness, would seem to be one method, and Vinci had all of this  in spades, or so I was told. According to Grimek, when Chuck lived,  trained and worked at York Barbell, he was skillful at hiding the fact that he could not read from the rest of the gang. No one had a clue! That was until he started receiving letters from his mother. So in order to find out what was going on back home,  Chuck would storm into the editorial offices in a huff, telling Grimek that the info in his letter from home got him so steamed or perplexed--this ploy was executed a couple of times-- that he just had to have someone else read it out loud to get his take on it.

Grimek said that the first time Vinci lured him in with this "read it out loud" strategy,  he was expecting to encounter out-of-the-ordinary events in Mother Vinci's letter. But as he started reading it (out loud), it became apparent that Chuck's strong reaction was curiously overstated, with tidbits like, "Chuck, your sister's dog just had a litter"..."Uncle Sal got a job on the railroad"..."your brother joined the Army". Nothing the least bit controversial or scandalous or otherwise out of the way, just mundane happenings among the Vinci clan.

Grimek dutifully read the full letter to Chuck, who was still faking being half steamed. When he finished, Vinci asked him what he thought about the whole situation. Stunned and perplexed, he responded that everything appeared normal among Chuck's family, at which point Chuck asked Grimek for the letter back, thanked him for taking the time to read it to him, and said he just wanted to know what Grimek thought about it!

Of course, as Chuck received more letters from home, he had to resort to the same ploy with other members of the editorial staff or other lifters. Eventually,  everyone compared notes and figured out that Chuck was pulling this on them because he could not read and was too ashamed to admit it.

Understand that this anecdote about Vinci was not shared to in any way belittle or stigmatize Vinci, because a couple of generations ago here in America, his situation was not all that uncommon for a variety of reasons beyond a desire just to work with his hands. It also underscores the resourcefulness displayed by guys like Vinci, who had a lively personality. 

• Like 1

Bob Fett
8 hours ago, Joe Roark said:

June 13, 2018 Chuck Vinci died. Born February 28, 1933. Fascinating weightlifter for America's team. A friend, in an  email to me, described Vinci as 'unlettered, but strong as fresh garlic'.

Wordsmithing at its finest.

I recall a story, perhaps on 60 Minutes, about a successful man who never learned to read.  He made it without the skill by having his secretary and wife handle correspondence and other matters, etc.  The crux of the story was him finally admitting his inability to read and then learning in middle age.  I believe he was a building contractor.

Lack of higher education was not a barrier to success in the old days like it is today.  Nowadays, it seems college degrees are required for even menial jobs.

Edited by Bob Fett
  • Like 1

Joe Roark

I suppose, at this time, after Terry has been gone, he, Terry Tdd, should be mentioned as the author of 'Unlettered, but strong as fresh garlic'. His emails were works of art, on which, I am hoping, he labored with concerned effort, because if any one- ANY one- can come up with such writing with first draft craft, it is hopeless for the rest of us.

• Like 2

Joe Roark
3 hours ago, Jan Dellinger said:

It has always been hard for me to comprehend how people who could not read got through life, even in the mid-20th Century, but they did, often in a prosperous way.  Tenacity of work ethic, will and resourceful cleverness, would seem to be one method, and Vinci had all of this  in spades, or so I was told. According to Grimek, when Chuck lived,  trained and worked at York Barbell, he was skillful at hiding the fact that he could not read from the rest of the gang. No one had a clue! That was until he started receiving letters from his mother. So in order to find out what was going on back home,  Chuck would storm into the editorial offices in a huff, telling Grimek that the info in his letter from home got him so steamed or perplexed--this ploy was executed a couple of times-- that he just had to have someone else read it out loud to get his take on it.

Grimek said that the first time Vinci lured him in with this "read it out loud" strategy,  he was expecting to encounter out-of-the-ordinary events in Mother Vinci's letter. But as he started reading it (out loud), it became apparent that Chuck's strong reaction was curiously overstated, with tidbits like, "Chuck, your sister's dog just had a litter"..."Uncle Sal got a job on the railroad"..."your brother joined the Army". Nothing the least bit controversial or scandalous or otherwise out of the way, just mundane happenings among the Vinci clan.

Grimek dutifully read the full letter to Chuck, who was still faking being half steamed. When he finished, Vinci asked him what he thought about the whole situation. Stunned and perplexed, he responded that everything appeared normal among Chuck's family, at which point Chuck asked Grimek for the letter back, thanked him for taking the time to read it to him, and said he just wanted to know what Grimek thought about it!

Of course, as Chuck received more letters from home, he had to resort to the same ploy with other members of the editorial staff or other lifters. Eventually,  everyone compared notes and figured out that Chuck was pulling this on them because he could not read and was too ashamed to admit it.

Understand that this anecdote about Vinci was not shared to in any way belittle or stigmatize Vinci, because a couple of generations ago here in America, his situation was not all that uncommon for a variety of reasons beyond a desire just to work with his hands. It also underscores the resourcefulness displayed by guys like Vinci, who had a lively personality. 

Your wonderful summation prompted me to check my files to see if Chuck's byline ever appeared. I have nothing filed that claims to have been written by him. If I had, I would be wondering who the author really was. (no, not so I could expose him in my amateurish newsletter)

peter yates

I had a dear friend, now sadly departed,who was from a Romany family and could neither read nor write.However he was an amazing gymnast/acrobat/dancer.He could put any machine back together taken apart by someone else and had a great wit and sense of humor. After getting married his wife patiently taught him to read and write.Looking back i see he did have a complex about it,but it never seemed to bother anyone else.

Peter.

• Like 1

Joe Roark

June 14, 2008 Dot Kawashina died. She and her husband were good friends with Arnold.

john corlett
3 hours ago, Joe Roark said:

June 14, 2008 Dot Kawashina died. She and her husband were good friends with Arnold.

Mits and Dot were always a delight to talk to at the Arnold and Olympia Expos.  Here is a photo that I took of them at the Weider book signing at the 2006 Olympia Expo.

oly06mitsdot1.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Joe Roark

June 15,1968 Noal Dodson won the Mr. Four State contest. 

Jun 15, 1968 Four State [ NC,SC,VA,TN ] and WL chp

Mr. Four State:                           Mr. North Carolina:

1. Noal Dodson 42.5                1. Terry Moore mm 39

2. Angel Luciaga 39.5 mm      2. Ray Perkins 34

3. Terry Moore 39                    3. Charles Crumpler 31.5

4. Ray Perkins 34

5. Bill Magann 33.5

6. Charles Crumpler 31.5

123 Ben Serrano 170-195-240 = 605

132 Bill Davis 160-160-215 = 535

Paul Weant 105-100-125 = 330

148 Clifton Sawyer 220-225-265 = 710

Larry Dulaney 165-160-220 = 545

Marty Yancey 180-160-205 = 545

Ron Bonham 155-150-200 = 505

Linn Finger 145-160-195 = 500

165 Angel LiCiaga 275-230-300 = 805

Jim Gillespie 240-215-285 = 740

Jim Smyntek 220-210-260 = 690 ??

Bernard Dunlavey 200-210-255 = 665

Gregg Gobelli - - -

181 Jim Bishop 315-275-330 = 920

Vincent Crow 205-190-255 = 650

Bill Magann 205-165-255 = 625

Bill Collins 200-170-230 = 600

Jim Elmore 190-185-225 = 600

Joe Richert 165

198 Bill Morrison 275-250-355 = 880

Jack King 290-220-300 = 810

Joe Minor 265-230-295 = 790

Jim Taylor 190-190-250 = 630

242 Frank Saunders Jr 310-260-330 = 900

Luke Reynolds 270-225-295 = 790

Ed McIntyre 240-205-280 = 725

Bill Grace 215-205-280 - 700

UnLim John Callis 330-280-355 = 965

Arnold Pope 260-230-290 = 780 re SH 10-68 p 11

Ed Mines

Terry Moore could have been a contender.

In his one big contest - 1969  AAU Jr. Mr. America - he placed 3rd, ahead of a lot of well publicized men including future Mr. America Jim Morris.

I saw that contest along with not that many others. The contest ended after midnight on Sunday/Monday morning.

I wonder why Moore's contest his was so short.

Joe Roark

June 16, 1966 Daniella Morlanne was born. 

Joe Roark

June 17, 1978 The Inaugural National Women's Physique Championships were held in Canton, Ohio.

Short: Lisa Sweterlitsch
  Tall:     Marybeth Pritt or Medium? and the overall.