Joe Roark

Fact Of The Day

Joe Roark

May 12-13, 1950 Sr. Nationals Weightlifting class winners:

123 Joe DePietro 220-185-230 = 635                      died Mar 19, 1999       

132 Richard Greenawalt 180-200-260 = 640        ? [I have not found an obituary]*

148 Joe Pitman 230-235-300 = 765                        died Jun 01, 29=018

165 Pete George 235-265-335 = 835                       living

181 Stan Stanczyk 275-280-355 = 910                  died Jul 03, 1997

H John Davis 320-310-380 = 1010                         died Jul 13, 1984

*I have found no competitions for Greenawalt after 1958.

Mikko Korhonen

Greenawalt placed second at the 1951 Pan American Games. It was the first time the contest was held.

Joe Roark
8 hours ago, Mikko Korhonen said:

Greenawalt placed second at the 1951 Pan American Games. It was the first time the contest was held.

Yes, the USA won every other class at that competition.

Joe Roark

May 14, 1980 Bill Good, on his 70th birthday, hip lifted his 2,150 lb 'dumbell' for 100 reps.

Liam Tweed
7 hours ago, Joe Roark said:

May 14, 1980 Bill Good, on his 70th birthday, hip lifted his 2,150 lb 'dumbell' for 100 reps.

intersting Joe

i recall reading this in IM 

I was never sure how to evaluate feats of supporting strength

its impossible to relate to a lift / feat if one has never attempted it 

i seriously doubt i could lift a weight of even 1000 lbs even an inch though 

im still al lot more impressed with an 80 + year old finishing the Comrades marathon here in SA (89km)

that is surely a "feat: i can relate to  , and we have quite a few very old participants acheiving this

Liam

Joe Roark
3 hours ago, Liam Tweed said:

intersting Joe

i recall reading this in IM 

I was never sure how to evaluate feats of supporting strength

its impossible to relate to a lift / feat if one has never attempted it 

i seriously doubt i could lift a weight of even 1000 lbs even an inch though 

im still al lot more impressed with an 80 + year old finishing the Comrades marathon here in SA (89km)

that is surely a "feat: i can relate to  , and we have quite a few very old participants acheiving this

Liam

Yes, lifts with the movement of basically only an inch or two are difficult to assess. The modern bench press, if styles continue, may approach a supporting lift because in many cases the arms do not go past 45 degrees so the 'sticking point' is never dealt with.

But the fact remains that in a supporting lift, all that weight is being held aloft by the lifter's body only.

Joe Roark

May 15, 1955

Mr. National High School: Jewish Community Center Kansas City, MO

1. Doug Lindsay

2. John Podrebarac

3. Jack Winich

4. Dale Gilbert

5. Chuck Inzerillo

annc IM 5-55 p 35         re IM 9-55 p 39, 40

• Like 1

Joe Roark

May 16, 1964  Louisville, Kentucky at Bellarmine College

Mr. Derbytown:

1. Dean Elery*

2. Charles Kutzer

3. Robert Cameron

4. Charles Estes

*W. Dean Elery

79, of Fishers, passed away on December 31, 2016. He was a graduate of Broad Ripple High School, and a proud veteran of the U.S. Navy. He began a successful career in the field of physical fitness, obtaining many bodybuilding awards. He went on to co-found the Olympia Lady Spas in Indianapolis in 1979.

After extensive training in the animal industry, he founded First Friend K-9 Training in Fishers, IN, retiring in 2005.

An avid motorcycle enthusiast for most of his adult life, he was a member of the 10,000 Mile Club, and Motorcycle Safety Foundation.

He is survived by his wife, Barabara; a daughter, Mrs. Audrey McCann; 3 sons, David, Joe, and Nick; step-son, Kevin Steward; 6 grandchildren, 1 step-grandchild, and 1 great-grandchild.

A Celebration of Life will be held on Sunday, January 8, 2017 at Flanner and Buchanan - Oaklawn Memorial Gardens (Conner Suite) at 3 p.m., with visitation beginning at 1pm. 

Published in the The Indianapolis Star on Jan. 5, 2017

• Like 1

Ed Mines
14 hours ago, Joe Roark said:

May 16, 1964  Louisville, Kentucky at Bellarmine College

Mr. Derbytown:

1. Dean Elery*

2. Charles Kutzer

3. Robert Cameron

4. Charles Estes

what the hey?

Coach Estes was 12th in the 1964 Mr. America & 5th in '65. 

Somewhere in my storage locker i still have the magazine pictured below.

1a3b.jpg

Joe Roark

May 17, 1953 Steve Klisanin won AAU Jr. Mr. America in Cleveland.

Steve Daniel Klisanan was born in McKeesport, Allegheny, Pennsylvania, the son of Croatian immigrants, John Klisanin and Luba/Ljuba Yanvetich.

His cousin Frances Genelius, lived with the family at the time of the 1930 US Census, on Cornell St, McKeesport.

His brother William John Klisanan was born 26 Jun 1930 (after the census).

He attended McKeesport High School.

Steve started body building, becoming Mr. Pennsylvania, then went on to Junior Mr. America in 1948, Mr. New Mexico in 1951, and then went on to Mr. America in 1955 and Mr. Universe in 1956. He toured the United States, and received offers to work with Mae West's "Male Beauty" Chorus line (he turned it down to preserve his chance to coach weightlifting for the Olympics).

He was a US Marine sergeant, serving from 1946-1957:
July 1946, private, Third Recruit Battalion, Parris Island, SC
Oct 1946, private, SMS-11, Mag-11, 2Maw, FMF, USMCAS, Cherry point, NC

April 1947 Marine Air Casual Squadron 11, USMCAS, Cherry Point, North Carolina

April 1951 PFC, Enlisted Volunteer Reserve Room, Broad St, Philadelphia, PA

Oct 1952, CPL, Enlisted Volunteer, MRI, Quantico, VA

Jan 1956, Sergeant, MB USNB New York, Brooklyn, NY

Jan 1957, Sergeant, Enlisted Volunteer Reserve, Philadelphia, PA & Quantico, VA

Steve Daniel Klisanin attended the University of New Mexico, studying geology, and receiving his degree just a few days before becoming Mr. Universe in June 1956.

By 1960, he was living in Hialeah, Florida.

Married Barbara Jean Jones 28 Dec 1971 in Miami, Dade, Florida. They were divorced 27 Sep 1972.

Married Ana Petrlic in Broward County Florida on 31 Aug 1974. She was previously married to Fritz Henning Kuehne in 1972.

Lived on 7th Street in Seal Beach, and in The Woodlands, Texas later.

Picture of

Steve Daniel Klisanin

• Like 2

Ray Nobile

which mr universe did he win in 1956?

Joe Roark
5 hours ago, Ray Nobile said:

which mr universe did he win in 1956?

Jun 10, 1956 - W tall & ov Mr. Universe in Virginia Beach

Ray Nobile
18 hours ago, Joe Roark said:

Jun 10, 1956 - W tall & ov Mr. Universe in Virginia Beach

thanks joe.but do you know which federation.i knew it was not nabba.perhaps ifbb or fhic?

john corlett
5 hours ago, Ray Nobile said:

thanks joe.but do you know which federation.i knew it was not nabba.perhaps ifbb or fhic?

Ray,

I believe that this was an AAU sanctioned Mr. Universe contest because Chuck Vinci entered it and he continued to compete as a weightlifter.  Ray Schaefer placed second and then went over to London and won the NABBA Amateur Universe. The contest was highly controversial and part of the York/Weider "wars" of the 1950s since Klisanin was considered a "York guy" and Schaefer a "Weider guy".

Ray Nobile
2 hours ago, john corlett said:

Ray,

I believe that this was an AAU sanctioned Mr. Universe contest because Chuck Vinci entered it and he continued to compete as a weightlifter.  Ray Schaefer placed second and then went over to London and won the NABBA Amateur Universe. The contest was highly controversial and part of the York/Weider "wars" of the 1950s since Klisanin was considered a "York guy" and Schaefer a "Weider guy".

thanks john, peter yates directed me to an article that barton hovarth wrote regarding the aau sanctioned mr universe.bob hoffman changed the judging panel after the first night prejudging as ray schaefer was the clear winner. klisanin was 4th. he replaced hovarth with paul anderson who was not an aau certified judge.basically hoffman was exposed as a liar and a fraud. he violated numerous aau rules. the article was lengthy but a real eyeopener regarding hoffmans manipulation or bullying to get his own way.hoffman was a judge and on his scorecard he had 4ft 10 and 123lb vinci beating ray schaefer. when the results were anounced and schaefer got 2nd to klisanin the audience walked out. as to why hoffman sent ray schaefer to the nabba universe instead of klisanin, hoffman said he did it to prove that  even the aaus second best was good enough to beat any of nabbas best. thanks peter for directing me to the article.

• Like 1

Joe Roark

I should be back home by tomorrow night. Geni and I got away for our 46th anniversary, and I took a couple of days off.

• Like 3

peter yates

Happy anniversary Joe, God bless you both.

Peter.