Joe Roark

Fact Of The Day

carl linich

Happy Birthday to your Mom, Joe .May she keep breathing defiance of Mother nature, and Father Time.

Joe Roark

March 05, 1913 Bernarr MacFadden and Mary Williamson wedding. He 45, she 19, had known each other for two months.

Joe Roark

March 06, 2005 Doug Betts died. Born June 29, 1941

Jun 29, 1941               BETTS, DOUGLAS W.    Mar 6, 2005
        MD Jul 1966 p 18 DB wins Mr. Florida Jan 15, 1966 in Tampa- Falcon
               Mar 1967 p 38 pho win Nov 5, 1966 Mr. East Coast

IM Oct 1966 p  8 Training prog that made DB Mr. FL 1966- Falcon

SH Aug 1964 p 36 Coverman- Falcon

cover   SH      Aug 1964
                     IM      Oct 1966
                    MD      Nov 1966
                Fla.WM  2:3

-------------------------

Tampa Bay Times March 10, 2005:

Douglas W. Betts

Obituary

BETTS, Douglas W., 63, of Bradenton, passed away March 6, 2005. He was a retired deputy sheriff for the Manatee County Sheriff's Office, a training officer, a weight lifter and body builder, and a member of Masonic F & AM, Lodge #31, and the Egypt Temple Shrine. Graveside services will be conducted 1 p.m. Saturday at Myrtle Hill Cemetery in Tampa. He is survived by his wife, Phyllis of Bradenton; son, Jonathan Douglas of North Port, Fla.; daughter, Lori Lynn of Bradenton; five brothers, Drexel of St. Petersburg, and Dean, David, Phillip, David and Charles, all of Tampa; a sister, Donna Jean of Loganville, Ga.; and five grandchildren. Please note, florists, please take flowers to the cemetery prior to service time.

Joe Roark

March 07, 1938 Joe Zimmerman was stretched out face up. Dick Zimmerman climbed a 6' ladder holding a 50 lb weight in each hand, then jumped down onto Joe's abs.

see S&H May 1938 p 18 for the reference

Joe Roark

March 08, 1867 George Zottman born; died circa 1942. His version of the Zottman curl, obviously the accurate version because he invented it, has, like so many other exercises as time continues, changed.

If anyone has his exact date of passing please share it here.

Joe Roark

March 09, 1996 Kevin Levrone won the San Jose Pro, which was win #12 in his string.

Joe Roark

March 10, 1892 Anne Nordquest was born; died September 15, 1968.

Joe Roark

March 11, 1896 Hans Beck won the European WL Championships. V1 p 47,  IG 34, Ironman 41:1 p 58

Joe Roark

March 12, 1892 Romulus pushed 168 lbs for 20 reps, and 179 lbs for 18 reps according to The Super Athletes p 197.

Joe Roark

March 13, 1937 Bob Harley, on his 3rd attempt, bent pressed 220 lbs.

Joe Roark

March 14, 1965 Kiana Tom born.  (I have also seen 1967)

https://kiana.com/

Joe Roark

March 15, 1980 Casey Viator won the IFBB LaFayette, Louisiana Grand Prix.

Joe Roark

Joe Roark

March 17, 1917 Frank Wozniak born; died December 19, 1968  see S&H Feb 1970 p 61

Joe Roark

March 18, 1990 J.J. March won his first IFBB Pro contest: The Houston Grand Prix.

Jan Dellinger

Joe, Not to be overly picky because I know you are a stickler for accuracy...but was it J.J. March, or J.J. Marsh? I remember a bodybuilder named the latter. Then again, I have been out of the loop for a long time now.  

• Like 1

Joe Roark
6 hours ago, Jan Dellinger said:

Joe, Not to be overly picky because I know you are a stickler for accuracy...but was it J.J. March, or J.J. Marsh? I remember a bodybuilder named the latter. Then again, I have been out of the loop for a long time now.  

Jan, it is Marsh- that was my typo- thank you. It is not overly picky to request accuracy.

Joe Roark

March 19, 1994 Paul Dillett won the IFBB German Pro.

• Like 1

Joe Roark

March 20, 1995 John William Minton, aka 'Big John Studd' died. Born February 19, 1948.

I remember when he passed and it does not seem like 24 years have passed!

Jan Dellinger

Dick Smith and myself had a lengthy conversation with Studd at a commercial fitness show at the Lakeshore Hilton Hotel in Chicago around 1986. He told us great stories about Andre the Giant and other pro wrestlers. Like most people, he had great respect for Andre, his physical size and what he endured toward the end of his life. In regards to ponderous physical size, and especially among wrestlers, it seems most of them go at young ages.  Bill St. John and I were having a conversation about this recently. It is our collective recollection that the pro wrestlers of the early/middle 20th Century (and perhaps prior) seemed to live to older ages.

One more note about John Studd and the aforementioned meeting in Chicago: Ricky "The Dragon" Steamboat and his wife also happened by the York Barbell booth, and Studd pulled them in. Then the lifting/wrestling stories really flew.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Joe Roark
Jan Dellinger

Bob G. was inducted into the Association of Oldetime  Bodybuilders & Strongmen (AOBS) HOF in 2017. I not only found him highly engaging and everything that John Corlett said about Bob in the  appraisal of the latter's book, but much more. Sort of made me wonder why I did not actively seek Bob out when I was editor of Muscular Development as Gallucci's story is very compelling in a more mainstream sort of way, and considerably deeper than the handle "The Last Drug-Free Bodybuilder. It was also sort of surprising to learn that Bob became a public school teacher and then a principal; not sure, my memory is going fast, but he might have also risen to the ranks of school superintendent. However, I am clear on this: Bob done good with his life!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Ed Mines
1 minute ago, Jan Dellinger said:

Bob done good with his life!

lost the battle but won the war

stephen j duyka
1 hour ago, Jan Dellinger said:

Bob G. was inducted into the Association of Oldetime  Bodybuilders & Strongmen (AOBS) HOF in 2017. I not only found him highly engaging and everything that John Corlett said about Bob in the  appraisal of the latter's book, but much more. Sort of made me wonder why I did not actively seek Bob out when I was editor of Muscular Development as Gallucci's story is very compelling in a more mainstream sort of way, and considerably deeper than the handle "The Last Drug-Free Bodybuilder. It was also sort of surprising to learn that Bob became a public school teacher and then a principal; not sure, my memory is going fast, but he might have also risen to the ranks of school superintendent. However, I am clear on this: Bob done good with his life!

md1109.jpg

bob galucci bk.jpg

Jan Dellinger

Please note: re-read my last post. The abbreviation AOBS correctly stands for Association of Oldetime Barbell and Strongmen.  Not Bodybuilders and Strongmen!