Joe Roark

Ferrigno plates

Jack Green
On 7/20/2013 at 3:09 PM, Paul Quinn said:

I am not very familar with the Ferrigno brand. I thought Lou made his own line of plates that came in green and then his brother / father also sold Ferrigno weight plates (as stated above).

I have (4) 1.25 lb. LOU FERRIGNIO plates. (only ones I have ever come across). 2 of them came out of a storage locker in FL and 2 came out of NJ. Only one of them was green (the others are black) and it appears to be the oringal paint. All 4 of them have "India" on them as in Made in India.

I have pictued the only green one I have below. I am assuming this was made and sold by Lou F. since it has Lou's name on it. Not sure when these were made.

Paul

post-4340-0-69375800-1374350890_thumb.jp

Paul, I have seen lots of different colors for Ferrigno plates. Your 1-1/4lb, Made in India, plate is the first I've seen a "dark" green.... maybe Rust-Oleum's Hunter Green? Do you know if yours has been re-painted? I have some 5lb & 7-1/2lb plates I am refinishing. I've tried a couple of different colors to match pics I've seen here and there. You say you are not very familiar with the brand; do you know who might be? I'm pretty sure I know even less about these plates....

Jack

stephen j duyka

several more

ferrigno india.JPG

ferrigno 25=50.JPG

ferrig.jpg

ferrigno bb pls.JPG

• Like 2

Jack Green
On 8/4/2019 at 1:25 PM, stephen j duyka said:

several more

ferrigno india.JPG

ferrigno 25=50.JPG

ferrig.jpg

ferrigno bb pls.JPG

Thanks, Stephen, I've seen that 15lb before. These all look like re-paints. Did you paint them? They do look good; where did you get a color reference?  

John McCarthy

Maybe 20 years ago in Bayville New Jersey. In a furniture store where Ferrigno's gym was next door, the lady said they were taking that space as the gym was going out of business. Wonder if there was a connection to Lou there?

stephen j duyka
20 hours ago, Jack Green said:

Thanks, Stephen, I've seen that 15lb before. These all look like re-paints. Did you paint them? They do look good; where did you get a color reference?  

yes they are all refurbs. just picked a green paint that i thought looked good. article from 2006 remove if offensive.

ferrigno law suit in 2006.jpg

Jack Green

Stephen,

Thank you, I suspected as much. I've got 6 different colors of green in pics and frankly, was not convinced that they were ever painted green. There are 10x as many pics of black plates. I'd heard there was a 'falling out' .....It's a shame about an argument in a family getting as far as the legal system. 

That pair of 10s looks great

Ed Mines
10 hours ago, Jack Green said:

was not convinced that they were ever painted green.

I've seen them in the flesh twice, once in a gym in Rocky River, Ohio (suburb of Cleveland) and another time in the basement of a man who sold me some plates. They looked like they were a muted shade of statue of liberty green.

Jack Green

Thanks Ed. Verdigris copper would be my choice; seems a lot more like the color of THE HULK. I guess I could have these copper plated at a plating shop that does "triple chrome" plating (copper, nickel, chrome) and set them outside for a bit. Lotta trouble but, they would look good. I found this pic of a 25lb on ebay? and it appears to be original paint. I'm headed to a True Value hardware store today; they don't carry Rust-Oleum or Krylon in their spray paints. Maybe there will be a color there.....

The Ferrigno 25.png

Ed Mines

I recall them being that color but faded.

• Like 1

Michael Fallon

They supposedly only turn that shade when the plate gets angry.......

• Haha 1

Florian Kellersmann

Wasn't only the "Lou Ferrigno" plates from Lou, the "Ferrigno" ones from his brother?

Joe Roark
On 8/13/2019 at 6:05 AM, Florian Kellersmann said:

Wasn't only the "Lou Ferrigno" plates from Lou, the "Ferrigno" ones from his brother?

This is my speciality but I think you are right. Did Lou Ferrigno ever manufacture weights, or just object when his brother put the Ferrigno name on them?

stephen j duyka
On 8/13/2019 at 7:05 AM, Florian Kellersmann said:

i bought the lou ferrigno plates off his father and brother in new jersey. lou threatened to sue early on but matty more or less convinced him not to.

lf mf jw.jpg