Sign in to follow this  
Bill Piche

IronHistory Contributor Groups

Bill Piche

As a means to help financially support IronHistory and all Joe does here I created two special donation Contributor Groups (Level 1 and Level 3).

You can see them by clicking the Subscriptions link at the top of the forum.

Costs continue to go up to keep things running smoothly on the Cyberpump server.

You get a special Icon under your name when you donate -- attached to this post is a 3x version of the Level 3 Contributor Group.

You also get a whopping 3000 PM limit and double the gallery space of a normal member!

For Level 3, you also get a FREE one year access to Joe's weekly IronHistory column on Cyberpump (and all the rest of Cyberpump content!). This by itself is a $12 donation. Also for level 3 contributors, immediate access to the Old Iron Depot section, which otherwise requires 100 posts to access.

Thanks everyone for your support of the site.

------------

Joe Roark here with an additional point. Bill handles this, and he is not retired, so sometimes it may be the evening of the day you donate before he can see the donation and admit you. Thank you for your patience- we appreciate the support.

post-1-0-62111200-1365383346_thumb.jpg

Seth Klein

Done ... and my contributor icon has already shown up! Happy to support the site.

Joe Roark

Thank you, Seth!

Bill Piche

Thanks Seth. I sent you an email for Cyberpump access. Joe's site that gets updated weekly is incredible. There is nothing like it. The archives are like entering a HUGE online library of online history found nowhere else that's for sure!

Joe Roark

Subscribing at the level that includes cyberpump.com will of course include my work which soon will include Before The Iron Rusted, in installments.

Bill Piche

I also corrected an error that had it ONE day. Thanks Joe for catching that. It's now one year as it should have been. :)

Ray Nobile

subscribed to level 3. small price to pay for a great website.

Joe Roark

When Bill suggested this idea, I wondered how it would be met. I thank those of you who have contributed.

As time goes along and budgets allow, I am confident more will help.

This money is not pocketed by Bill or by me but is designated for operating costs, which I at first considered paying, but then remembered a basic rule of economics. Nothing is free. If it is free to you, it is because others are paying.

Together we have built a site that showcases history without attacking other sites or each other. This site is worthy because we all contribute content.

• Like 1

Larry Aumann

I'm in. Level 3.

Bill Piche

I am very thankful for the response so far! I felt we needed to act now before it became an issue.

A little known fact....we have a lower level admin watching the server that lives in Russia. His name is Len. He does a great job and when I email him with issues he is lightning fast to resolve it before it becomes a crisis. This includes protection from all the nastiness out there with server attacks, spammers, etc.

Michael Fallon

I guess I am old-school when it comes to this stuff but i wanted to ask if there was any chance to make the 'contributors level badge' optional. I prefer modesty and am not fond of these type of public displays, especially on a free forum.

thanks for considering it.

Joe Roark

I guess I am old-school when it comes to this stuff but i wanted to ask if there was any chance to make the 'contributors level badge' optional. I prefer modesty and am not fond of these type of public displays, especially on a free forum.

Not sure if this is possible, but I would prefer that those who contribute be obvious. And, thank you for the support!

David Pelto

I have been having problems completing my paypal transaction for this. It does not let me change

from a banking withdrawal transaction to a credit card source, as I always do.

Michael Fallon

Not sure if this is possible, but I would prefer that those who contribute be obvious. And, thank you for the support!

Joe, I am happy to help. And it is your site after all, so you can ultimately do as you please with it. I understand that. I still would have preferred to know in advance that this 'badge" be an optional display. It seems to create another couple of classes of members:The big donors, the small donors and the non donors, does it not? Some of us may have preferred to remain anonymous.

And besides, it distracts from my Milo profile pic!!!

Paul Quinn

Joe, For some reason the "radio" buttons don't show up when I try to do this. I am sure it is just my browser, so I will try on another computer when I get home.

Paul

Bob Hornick

Not working at all for me. I've followed instructions but keep getting blocked....Sent a note to Bill about this, he answered quickly, his directions also did not work for me....If Anne or I buy something from a site we use the 'paypal guest' option with our credit card. It always go thru but not under this donation option we are now using....I believe in donations for this free site. I don't have time to use the other site but have contributed to it in the past....I would like a name and address that I can send a check to and I don't need the contributor logo by my name....when I get that name & address the check will be in the mail..... :)

Keep Breathing Defiance,

- Bob -

Joe Roark

Bob, sorry for the trouble- I sent your message to Bill. And thank you for wanting to help!

Joe Roark

Thank you to all who have contributed; it is very helpful.

Joe Roark

Joe, I am happy to help. And it is your site after all, so you can ultimately do as you please with it. I understand that. I still would have preferred to know in advance that this 'badge" be an optional display. It seems to create another couple of classes of members:The big donors, the small donors and the non donors, does it not? Some of us may have preferred to remain anonymous.

And besides, it distracts from my Milo profile pic!!!

Michael, the goal is not to have classes, but to have support, and to acknowledge those who are helping.

There are many reasons people cannot help in these times of financial strain and there is no sense on my part that members who are in less than fruitful situations right now should help if it means diverting money from family. But for those who can spare the money, thank you.

Anyway, thank you to you and to every other member who has helped with the costs of running the site- it is very appreciated. Joe

Michael Fallon

Glad to help, Joe.

Joe Roark

Joe Roark here with an additional point. Bill handles this, and he is not retired, so sometimes it may be the evening of the day you donate before he can see the donation and admit you. Thank you for your patience- we appreciate the support.

Bill Piche

The script running the subscriptions seems to have lost it's mind.

If you drop off from the Contributor groups, please let me know immediately and I will fix you.

Sorry about this.

They are trying to get the person who wrote this mod to fix it. :(

Joe Roark

My monthly reminder to consider contributing if you appreciate what we do her. Thank you.

Paul Quinn

Joe,

I had to update my browser to do this and just got that done today.

Thanks for the site and all that you do to make it an enjoyable site for all.

Paul

Joe Roark

Thank you, Paul!