David Marker

York enthusiest from KC

Reuben Weaver

Mike B.,

Thanks for the info on the York collars. Do you have an ad or something where these were offered in 1936? I would like to see the picture. Did they have the handle on them from the begining or was that added.

I will have to go though my Good literature this weekend and see if I can find out more about their collars.

And yes I meant Berg. Thank you for pointing that out. I went back and changed it to Berg.

Paul

Paul your documentation of literature is great for keeping track of this info!

It is almost impossible to make sense of old iron if you don't collect the old literature that goes with it.

David Marker

Thought I would post some pictures of some old weight plates I picked up recently. I also have some 20lb Bur plates (no bel) that aren't pictured here.

7B960D47-823B-4985-B1F9-19E9F8195FE6-24985-00002867C6ADE8B1.jpg

DF2ADECD-A4C1-45EB-9EBE-CA711976CBD7-24985-00002867D11AD066.jpg

4E388C83-696E-48DA-BB11-33114478BFC4-24516-00002773156E3E0C.jpg

Joe Roark

David, Please post a photo of the Bur 20s- I have two I traded from Mike BonDurant- would like to see yours.

David Marker

No Prob Joe. As soon as I snap a pic I'll post them. Warning, they are pretty rusty :)

David Marker

Joe Roark

Thanks, David.

tim culver

i've never seen the MORGAN PLATES but they look exactly like the IRONMAN plates, very cool.

David Marker

Tim, all those plates would look incredible on the wall of Bruno's gym ;)

• Like 1

Wes Rittenhouse

Again, nice find David. Did any small plates come with the lot?

• Like 1

David Marker

Wes, no just those. Hey, you are 2 posts away from the Iron depot!!! It's like magical Christmas land in there! Heavenly pleasures await!

• Like 1

Wes Rittenhouse

I have a 1-1/4 plate collection so I thought I would check since you have some unusal plates. 1 more!

Edited by Wes Rittenhouse

David Marker

Wes, I have a couple 1.25lb Champion plates actually. I also have 1.25 York plates, but I'm sure you already have those.

Wes Rittenhouse

David,

I currently have 4 different York plates so I'm guessing I have the ones you have and I have Champions also. Thanks for checking I currently have about 35 different USA made 1-1/4's I undrerstand there is many more!

David Marker

Even though I'm in Kansas City, Missouri, I have a strong family connection to Pennsylvania, my mom being from outside Pittsburgh. My Grandfather is from a steel mill town in the western part of the state. My grandparents are in town for thanksgiving so I asked my grandfather if he remembered York barbell. He said his older brother Frank bought a York barbell set in 1941 and he and his brother used to lift together. From his descriptions and from photos I showed him online it sounds like it was a standard barbell set that also included adjustable dumbbell handles as well. He said he remembered that the set went up to around 200lbs with all the weights on it. He said he doesn't remember seeing the set after they both went off to war. My uncle Frank was a bombardier stationed in Europe and my grandfather was a radio navigator in a C-47 in Indo-China. He flew the hump My uncle Frank died in 2005 but my grandfather said he would write his sister in law to see if they know what happened to the weight set. My grandfather was explaining some of the exercises they did with the barbell.

My Grandmother is from South Philly and she said that she remembers her brother Pete had a barbell set and used to lift weights on the roof of their building which was an Italian grocery store on 9th and Jackson street. They lived above the store, which my great-grandfather owned. She does not remember what brand the set was. My uncle died in 2008, but I am going to write his oldest son Joey and ask if he remembers any details about the set or what happened to it. Joey, like his father Pete, is a large man and has always been into strength training and strong man exercises. There are stories of Joey jogging down a railroad track while swinging a large hammer over his shoulders. lol

Edited by David Marker

Joe Roark

David, this is interesting stuff! Perhaps there are family photos in an album somewhere of the set being hoisted.

Michael Fallon

Hey Dave,

In what W. PA steel mill town was your grandefather raised? I was born in Homestead, PA.

Mike

David Marker

Elwood City

Ben Edwards

Even though I'm in Kansas City, Missouri

David, first off - hello, from Lawrence, KS. You have a very impressive collection of antique weights! I need to shop at the Play It Again Sports you frequent. We had one in Lawrence for years. When it closed I snatched up some pretty banged up Eleiko 15kg bumpers for next to nothing. I would love to lift one of the old globe barbells. I've been lucky to have gone to some great strength competitions over the past 11 years and been able to get my hands on some antique iron.

David Marker

Hi Ben, thankks for the message. Cool to see someone else in our part of the country is into collecting old iron. The Play it Again Sports in Overland Park kind of sucks. And I noticed that they have reduced their used weight section recently too. But you should still check it out. I got a few older milled York plates there and a few standard plates too. Might be a bit picked over now :)

If you're in KC hit me and you can come over and check out the collection. Also if you're looking for some older York plates I know a guy in Lawrence who might sell you some :)

Nat Arem

i've never seen the MORGAN PLATES but they look exactly like the IRONMAN plates, very cool.

Yea they look exactly like my Ironman plates. They must've been made at the same place.

Also, I'm attaching a pic I took of Jackson collars from a 1A set. Not sure if that helps the earlier discussion.

post-5634-0-92864600-1359576291_thumb.pn

David Marker

Thanks Nat. When you get up to 100 posts you can see a thread I started on the restoration of my York Oly set that I believe to be from the early 40s.

Frank Gilmore Sr.

Hi David

Welcome to Iron History. Nice collars

Frank

Brian Bulack
On 10/23/2012 at 3:35 PM, Paul Quinn said:

All,

Not exactly sure, but these pictured below, seem to match the ones in the 2 ads that Mike B posted. These are what I call the "Flat Ship Wheel" collars. (The ones in the picture just happen to be chromed after the fact and did not come from York that way.) I say "I am not exactly sure" since I don't have any proof of what was made when. I would think that if some one wanted to take on the project of figuring this out and had the time and entire collections of several magaizes titles, they could probally shed some light on this. But that is a pretty big project.

It seems to me that the first shipwheel collars may have been the flat design as shown in the picture provided by Mike B. Then the ball design with the round 360 degree ends. Why the change from flat to round? I don't know.

David,

As far as Jackson collars, I have a large collection of many types of Jackson collars. I have owned 2 diffrent sets of Jackson Olympic collars. Both pairs were simalar in design, both had no leather, both were precision machined boared from a casted product. One pair was from a 1-A set (I still have) and each collar weighs 7.5 lbs. and on the other set, each collar weighed in around 8 1/2 lbs.

Jackson did make what I call "squeeze collars". (Your ship wheel collar would fall into this catagory as well since it has one tightening device.) He made his squeeze collars in a standard 1 1/6" size as well as for his #4 set which was a 1 1/2" size. Not sure about if he offered his squeeze collars in his #5 set which was 1 21/64".

Good Barbell also made a squeeze collar for his 1 1/16" bar (I have some of those) and Reading Barbell is reported to have made them as well, however I have never seen any.

Paul

post-4340-0-34667900-1351020762_thumb.jp

Its my belief that York introduced their first Olympic plate sets with the "Snowflake" style collar that I found with my Tall Letter set here based on the magazine dates shown:

And I think their 2nd style Olympic collar was this "Flat Shipwheel" in your picture you posted which is similar to the 1920's Berg Hantel plate/collars which York is said to have copied when they introduced olympic plates. Here are more pictures of my 1920's Berg Hantel "Flat Shipwheel" collars and you can see the similarities. It would seem strange to even come out with these "Snowflake" style first and then the Berg "Flat Shipwheel" style later so I'm not sure... But I want to make sure to add some of my insight to this site incase it helps others. The amount of markings on the Berg "Flat Shipwheel" collars is  fun to look at, I have no idea what they could mean or why there is so many.

Berg1.jpg

Berg2.jpg

Berg3.jpg

Berg4.jpg

Berg6.jpg