Sign in to follow this  
Joe Roark

Meet Our Mods

Thomas Klose

Wanted to share the crime story (novel) booklet ad that got me interested in the world of muscle as a little boy.

Jerry Cotton is the fictional character in a series of pulp magazine-type crime novels. The novels were written by many different writers in German-speaking countries and in Finland over the course of several decades.

jcotton.jpg

Thomas Klose

Born: January, 17th 1966 in Cologne.

Married, 3 grown-up children

I grew up in Cologne and played soccer in a local club until 1983. I noticed the sport of muscle early while looking at my grandma´s crime story booklets. These booklets included ads of "Provita"-Protein with pictures of A. Schwarzenegger and F. Columbu. My first real encounter with bodybuilding came soon after. My father´s teammate in gymnastics was a competitive bodybuilder. His name was Richard Knaab.I met him when I was around 8 or 9 years old at a public swimming pool. He competed up to the Mr. Germany level.

I also noticed some advertising banners in downtown Cologne. They displayed Karl Blomer´s Fitness Studio. Blomer was the first German IFBB Mr. Universe winning the title in 1971 in Paris. I started bullworker training at around 13 years of age. In April of 1980 I bought my first magazine. It was Albert Busek´s Sportrevue with Lou Ferrigno and Lisa Lyon on the cover. I remember my first workout with weights. In the summer of 1980 I visited my mom´s cousin in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Her son Robert owned a Sears weight set and a bench. I was a lot weaker than Robert, who was also a good wrestler. We visited a YMCA weight room there, too.

In the fall of 1980 my schoolmate Michael Lenzen and I started training at a public weight room that had Berg Barbell equipment and a multi-station like the Universal machine popular in the US. It was obvious by this time that I had absolutely no talent for bodybuilding whereas Michael started to grow fast and had incredible triceps and forearm development. In late 1980 a gym opened up not far away from home and I joined it early 1981. Around this time I had seen a picture of Bill Kazmaier lifting an incredible weight in the bench. From that point on I was fascinated but actually did not know what sport this was.

In 1982 I saw a poster of the IPF World Championships in Munich. Though I could not go there I now knew about Powerlifting. A year later gym owner Gerd Leyendecker saw I had lifted heavier weights in the squat and deadlift. He knew a supplement company´s representative who was also a powerlifter. His name was Mieczyslaw Szafranski. He was the national champion and record holder in the 220lb weight class. Without telling me they registered me in a lifting club in Duisburg. Without knowing any rule and borrowing a wrestling suit and approved shoes I made my first teenage contest in September of 1983 at the State Championships. I competed until 1995 but had realized that I was no top level lifter after the 1989 season. I was a weak bencher and had an hip issue so while I competed for another 6 years it was only for our club´s team matches.

My passion became Powerlfting gear like belts, wraps and suits and I tried to market these things over here starting this in 1987 while studying Mechanical engineering at the University of applied sciences in Cologne. I also started to write articles for German magazine "Power Sport" published by former IPF president Heinz Vierthaler.Later I sent in articles and news to Mike Lambert. He included this in his great magazine "Powerlifting USA" and in "Power Hotline". I also wrote 3 longer articles for MILO.    

I have stopped training for many years but was a powerlifting judge with a national card and also had the position of treasurer for the state federation for a few years.

Currently I am a senior purchaser for a large artist material wholesaler in Witten, Germany. I follow strength sport in general and keep in touch with the younger generation of lifters over here.

I am a member of Iron History since 2004 and enjoy and value Joe´s forum very much. 

• Like 2

Joe Roark

Thomas, what does 'artist material wholesaler' mean? Art supplies for painters?

Thomas Klose
On ‎08‎.‎01‎.‎2017 at 1:19 PM, Joe Roark said:

Thomas, what does 'artist material wholesaler' mean? Art supplies for painters?

Joe, just saw this question:

Art material: e.g. easels, oil and acrylic colors, stretched canvases, brushes but also soap stones and all kinds of  tools etc. We offer 26,000 items and have a 1600 pages catalogue and 45 shops in central Europe as well as an online shop.

We supply the (semi) professional artists

Thomas  

Joe Roark

Thanks, Thomas.