Sign in to follow this  
Joe Roark

Meet Our Mods

Joe Roark

We have completed six years on the web as ironhistory.com

The mods have responded to my request to provide whatever personal descriptions they care to share so you will have some sense of who they are and what interests them. So. following, in alphabetical order by last name, are what each mod provided:

Corlett, John:

Name: John Corlett

Residence: Greater Sacramento, California area

My interest in weight training dates from the late 1950s but was told to stay away from weights until "later". Exercised using isometrics when that craze hit the national media circa 1961. Purchased my first weight set from Sears and Roebeck (110 lb. set) in May of 1963 with paper route money (about $25.00). Discovered the weight training mags in February 1965 and have been subscribing, purchasing and collecting them ever since. My first goal was to get bigger and stronger for sports (primarily football). After a series of sports related injuries, my interest turned first to overhead lifting and then to bodybuilding training. A serious knee injury sustained in August of 1966 greatly limited leg work so I never seriously considered competing. For years I thought about photography but did nothing about it. Then, in 1975, I attended the Mr. America contest in Culver City in June and the guest posing routines of Arnold S., Franco C., Ed Corney, Ken Waller, and Robby Robinson in San Francisco in October, routines that were featured in Pumping Iron. That did it- 10 days after witnessing those routines I purchased my first single lens reflex camera and have been shooting weight training events (primarily bodybuilding contests) ever since.

I became a mod here to help assist Joe Roark in presenting a factually based weight training website for those interested.

I still train 2 to 3 times a week using a combination of free weights and machines (primarily Hammer Strength).

Harrington, David:

David Harrington

Age 50

Married with one 4 year old son

Hometown: Steelton, Pennsylvania

I started weight-training when I was 12 years old with a pair of 10 pound dumbbells I received for Christmas. The following Christmas I received my first set of barbells. As a pre-teen I exercised to the Jack Lalanne TV show.

Growing up in central Pennsylvania in the 70's and early 80's I attended competitions promoted by Hoffman/York Barbell, Bill Grenier and the Vranicar brothers. I consider myself very fortunate to have seen legends like Vasily Alexeyev, Anatoli Piserinko, Mark Cameron, Lee James, David Rigert, Leonid Tarenenko, Naim Suleymonglu, Jim Williams, Larry Pacifico, Vince Anello, Jon Kuc, Don Reinhoudt Sergio Oliva, Tim Belknap, Bertil Fox, Mike Christian, Phil Hill, Samir Bannout and many others in competitions or exhibitions and seminars.

It was difficult for me to decide which of the three weight sports to specialize in as my interest in each was almost equal. I finally settled on being a power lifter and competing in a few contests with success. Unfortunately a work-related injury ended my competitive career but I continue to work-out.

For as long as I can remember I have always had an interest in exercise fitness, strength, and health.

My other interests include reading, writing, music, history, business, science and politics.

Mann, Ron:

Name - Ron Mann

Age - 70

City/Country where you live - Palmerston North,NEW ZEALAND

How long you have been involved in the iron game - 53 Years

Which areas interest you most - Olympic lifting first and foremost

Why you became a mod at this site - To share,learn,and increase my knowledge of various aspects of the Iron Game.

Other info - Married for 38 years (no children).

I began training with weights back in October 1956 at the age of seventeen,commenced Olympic lifting a year later as a competitor for about ten years and since then have been involved as a referee,coach,and statistician at various times of my life. I lived in a small rural area when I purchased my first set of weights and trained at home with an ordinary exercise bar until I moved to the city about nine years later.

I have experimented with many different training methods and routines through the years,and still train in my garage gym at home on a regular basis. I qualified as a National level referee in both weightlifting and powerlifting way back in 1968 and also as a Category Two IWF referee in 1975. What 'knowledge' I've acquired through the years has come mainly from watching lifters in action,talking with and listening to other coaches,lifters,etc; and reading everything that I could possibly obtain about the sport. During the past few years I've also found a 'wealth' of information on the Internet,and am a member of and have posted on several other websites. In addition,I correspond personally with several members of these sites.

Mills, Mark:

Mark Mills

Age 55

Canton, Ohio

B.A. in English from the University of Washington (UW) in Seattle, 1986.

Teaching certificate '87 UW.

Masters Degree in Education University of Akron, 2004.

I taught 3rd grade for 10 years in a suburb of Seattle.

Now I teach Kindergarten in the Akron Public Schools.

Married Vanessa Moyer in 2000. No children.

I've been interested in strength, muscle building and athletic abilty for a long time. I asked my parents for a set of springs and hand grips at age six. I still have the springs and one of the grips. I was inspired to start weight training at age 14 or 15 when I saw Bruce Randall at Polsky's department store in downtown Akron, Ohio. He looked unreal to me and I was hooked. My dad bought a Ted Williams 110lb plastic coated weight set that Christmas for me. I had to carry them into the house because he couldn't. My dad has severe scoliosis of the spine which has plagued him since childhood so always encouraged me to be strong and healthy. Dad is 92 now and still has daily back pain.

A friend gave me a Weider Mr. America mag around that time and then I bought several Muscle Builders, Strength and Health and Muscular development mags. I began seriously collecting the muscle mags in 1971 when I bought my first Ironman at that years's AAU Mr. America contest. I actually bought it from Peary Rader in the lobby! Ironman is still my favorite and my collection includes some from the 40's, 50's, most of the 60's, all of the 70's and 80's and just occasional mags after that. I have a little over one thousand mags altogether.

I competed in '76 in bodybuilding (Northwest Physique Championships while in the Air Force in Seattle). I have always been drug free and believe I was in my best shape ever at age 46.

I trained at Chet Yorton's gym in Las Vegas from '77-'78.

I am a mod on the Ironage.us website.

I have met and spoken with Larry Barnholth at his A.C.M.W.L.

The weights have always been a productive and healthy hobby for me. I train now in my basement gym with my 27 year old nephew 3 times a week and it's as fun as ever! My wife, other nephews, a niece and two cousins also use "Mills' Muscle Mecca".

I consider it an honor to have been asked to be a mod on Ironhistory. Joe Roark's seeking of the truth in the history of the Iron Game sets this site apart from any other. There are many members here that have much more knowledge than I, but if you need to know something from the mags that I have, or from my experience, just ask.

Ryan, Tom: deceased. April 23, 1945 to December 01, 2016

NAME: Tom Ryan

How long have I been involved in the iron game? Just about 51 years, as I began lifting weights in December, 1958.

Which areas interest me the most? Olympic lifting when I was younger; all-round lifting for the past 22 years.

Why I became a moderator at this site? I have been interested in iron game history for decades and wrote short vignettes of historical strongmen during the late 1980s that were to become the basis for a book, but I couldn't find a publisher. So I went back to writing statistics books... for which I have no trouble finding publishers.

I have always trained at home alone, having a strong preference for doing so since I've always had plenty of self-motivation and I've also had a strong desire for absolute quiet during my workouts.

I didn't start competing until I was a master's lifter, with my first contest being the USA National Masters in Olympic lifting in 1986. Shortly thereafter I started competing in all-round meets, just before the United States All-Round Weightlifting Association (USAWA) and International All-Round Weightlifting Association (IAWA) were formed. I have been both a competitor and a referee in USAWA and IAWA competitions, and I also served as a referee at several Olympic lifting meets in the Atlanta area.

I served on the Editorial Board of the publication Iron Game History when it started in 1990 and had an article in the first issue. I have also written one item for Denis Reno's newsletter and an article or two for Bill Clark's Strength Journal. A few months ago I was asked to proofread the new USAWA rule book and I did so and made about 100 suggestions and corrections.

I am a PhD statistician and I had the opportunity to apply my statistics knowledge when I was appointed to serve on a committee in 1993 to investigate whether the Sinclair formula or the Malone-Meltzer formula should be used in Master's Olympic lifting competitions. Some years earlier, John Terpak was promoting me for statistician of US Weightlifting but Mark LeMenager did not want to relinquish the position.

I have not competed since 2006 and doubt that I will compete again, although I am not closing that door completely as I have made some lasting friendships and have greatly enjoyed my years as a competitor.

Thomas Klose

Born: January, 17th 1966 in Cologne.

Married, 3 grown-up children

I grew up in Cologne and played soccer in a local club until 1983. I noticed the sport of muscle early while looking at my grandma´s crime story booklets. These booklets included ads of "Provita"-Protein with pictures of A. Schwarzenegger and F. Columbu. My first real encounter with bodybuilding came soon after. My father´s teammate in gymnastics was a competitive bodybuilder. His name was Richard Knaab.I met him when I was around 8 or 9 years old at a public swimming pool. He competed up to the Mr. Germany level.

I also noticed some advertising banners in downtown Cologne. They displayed Karl Blomer´s Fitness Studio. Blomer was the first German IFBB Mr. Universe winning the title in 1971 in Paris. I started bullworker training at around 13 years of age. In April of 1980 I bought my first magazine. It was Albert Busek´s Sportrevue with Lou Ferrigno and Lisa Lyon on the cover. I remember my first workout with weights. In the summer of 1980 I visited my mom´s cousin in Milwaukee, Wisconsin. Her son Robert owned a Sears weight set and a bench. I was a lot weaker than Robert, who was also a good wrestler. We visited a YMCA weight room there, too.

In the fall of 1980 my schoolmate Michael Lenzen and I started training at a public weight room that had Berg Barbell equipment and a multi-station like the Universal machine popular in the US. It was obvious by this time that I had absolutely no talent for bodybuilding whereas Michael started to grow fast and had incredible triceps and forearm development. In late 1980 a gym opened up not far away from home and I joined it early 1981. Around this time I had seen a picture of Bill Kazmaier lifting an incredible weight in the bench. From that point on I was fascinated but actually did not know what sport this was.

In 1982 I saw a poster of the IPF World Championships in Munich. Though I could not go there I now knew about Powerlifting. A year later gym owner Gerd Leyendecker saw I had lifted heavier weights in the squat and deadlift. He knew a supplement company´s representative who was also a powerlifter. His name was Mieczyslaw Szafranski. He was the national champion and record holder in the 220lb weight class. Without telling me they registered me in a lifting club in Duisburg. Without knowing any rule and borrowing a wrestling suit and approved shoes I made my first teenage contest in September of 1983 at the State Championships. I competed until 1995 but had realized that I was no top level lifter after the 1989 season. I was a weak bencher and had an hip issue so while I competed for another 6 years it was only for our club´s team matches.

My passion became Powerlfting gear like belts, wraps and suits and I tried to market these things over here starting this in 1987 while studying Mechanical engineering at the University of applied sciences in Cologne. I also started to write articles for German magazine "Power Sport" published by former IPF president Heinz Vierthaler.Later I sent in articles and news to Mike Lambert. He included this in his great magazine "Powerlifting USA" and in "Power Hotline". I also wrote 3 longer articles for MILO.    

I have stopped training for many years but was a powerlifting judge with a national card and also had the position of treasurer for the state federation for a few years.

Currently I am a senior purchaser for a large artist material wholesaler in Witten, Germany. I follow strength sport in general and keep in touch with the younger generation of lifters over here.

I am a member of Iron History since 2004 and enjoy and value Joe´s forum very much. 

• Like 2

Thomas Klose

Many thanks, Joe and the mods.

Great idea to include the bios...very interesting..

Best regards from Germany,

Thomas

Edited by Thomas Klose

Mikko Korhonen

That was interesting reading.

Bob Hornick

A very nice feature. I'm always interested in what others do away from the site....I wish all the best for these fine young men now and in the future....what else can I say, oh, yes,............

Keep Breathing Defiance! :)

Tom Ryan

Make that "lasting" relationships rather than "last", although the way that my back and other body parts feel today, maybe it is correct as stated. :)

Joe Roark

Make that "lasting" relationships rather than "last", although the way that my back and other body parts feel today, maybe it is correct as stated. :)

I saw that and wondered if you intended it to be that way. I changed it to lasting.

Tom Ryan

I saw that and wondered if you intended it to be that way. I changed it to lasting.

Thanks, Joe.

Joe Roark

Each year, around mid-November, I ask the mods to decide if they plan to continue being a moderator here for another year.

This past year, for personal and noble reasons, Dave decided to relinquish his mod duties. He is still a member here, of course.

I will soon have news of who chooses to remain a mod here.

A couple have already decided to remain for another year, but I wanted to bump this so you can refresh yourself with who the mods are.

The mods are chosen more for their knowledge than for any disciplinary functions. We simply eliminate troublemakers before they get a good foothold.

So, thanks for your service, gentlemen, and with my bias I hope you remain. :)

Joe Roark

Each of our mods has agreed to stay for another year, and although I usually announce this on our actual anniversary date, this year I mention it twelve days later.

Each of our mods brings a different skill to the task and working together they do a fine and significantly well-rounded scenario to our forum.

So thanks for agreeing to serve for another year, guys!

Joe

Peter McGough

The cumulative years of knowledge and passion racked up by the mods(plus Joe R) is amazing and makes this site a pleasure to visit.

David Hartnett

Excellent news!

A great core group!

Ben Edwards

Quite nice getting to read the moderator bios. Nice addition!

Paul Quinn

As the newest moderator of this site, here is a little bit about me......

Paul Quinn

Strongsville, OH

You have got to love the name "Strongsville" on a site about iron history. It is a suburb of Cleveland, OH. I have lived there for 12 years with my wife, Mary Jo, of 26years. We have 3 children, 24, 22, 20. The last 2 are still in college.

I have been interested in the iron game for only about 5 years. A few years back I was ill and lost a lot of weight in a very short period of time. I got better and I did not want to gain the weight back so I started working out with free weights.

I had not really worked out with weights since HS and College. I played football and was a wrestler for 2 years in HS (Rich Central in Olympia Fields, IL) before I just concentrated on pole vaulting. Which I also did in College (SW Missouri State University now known as Missouri State).

At the time when I was just starting to work out with the free weights, my son was in HS, so I started buying weights for a home gym for the convenience of working out when we wanted, and not at a local gym when it was open.

I work for Arby's Restaurant Group in construction and development. I travel across much of the Midwest, East Coast and Canada for my job. So it gives me plenty of territory to look for the old weights while I am on the road. It has also provided me with the opportunity to meet a lot of great people, see their collections, or just talk iron, as well as make a lot of iron contacts. I have also met over 50 members of this web site in person, and have talked with many more. Several of which I consider to be good friends.

One of my first finds was a couple of pairs of Jackson globes from a gym in Cleveland, OH where the owner (Howard Prechtel) was in a nursing home and his wife, Noi was selling off about 20,000 lbs. of weight. I did some researched on Jackson Barbell since I wanted to find out more about the brand. I knew of York, but not Jackson. In the process I found the Iron History web site and became interested in the "older" iron and researching the history of the brands I was finding.

I work out for exercising and to keep in shape. I never lifted competitively or had the desire to do so. However, if I was back in HS knowing what I know now, things would have probably been different.

My interest rest mainly in the older iron. I have about 18 sets of various weights brands, standard and Olympic that I have pieced together. 1970's back to the 1930's. Some are complete and some still need a few pieces. Also I look for the ads, workout courses, and any literature that go with the sets. Another member had told me early on that "The paper is the key to understanding and appreciating what you have". And I could not agree more.

I also collect weight plates 1.5 lbs. and under as well as older small dumbbells 2.5 lbs. and under made in the USA.

My main collecting interest is in Jackson Barbell. And my goal is to have a complete home gym of Jackson equipment. I currently have over 1,100 lbs. of Jackson plates between my standard, #5, and Olympic sets. I have 5 different Jackson bars, and over 2100 lbs. in Jackson globes, 5 lbs. thru 85 lb. with a few extra pairs. Plus a fair amount of Jackson equipment, i.e. dumbbells handles, boots, kettle bell handles, Go Go Bells, flat bench, etc. I have been fortunate to find as much as I have in such a short period of time and I am also thankful to the people who have traded and or sold me the rest and who keep an eye out for me on additional Jackson items in case they show up in their area.

My project for January 2013 is to get a lot of pictures of my collection and weight room posted in the IH gallery.

One of my most rewarding experiences so far in the iron game was the research I was able to do on the history of the Dymeck curling bar and how it made its way to being the York E-Z curl bar. As well as having the opportunity to spend a couple of days with the Dymeck family learning about Lewis Dymeck and his curl bar invention.

I enjoy this web site and look forward to serving as a moderator as well as continuing to contribute in any way that I can to the overall data bank of information on the Iron History web site.

Paul Quinn

Joe Roark

Thanks, Paul, and thank you for agreeing to serve as a mod.

tom balchin

Good stuff Paul! Tom

mike bondurant

Mod?, Mod?, pardon my lack of education...what's a MOD??? I know it's short for moderator...but that dosen't help. :wacko:

Mike B. O=O

Joe Roark

Mod?, Mod?, pardon my lack of education...what's a MOD??? I know it's short for moderator...but that dosen't help. :wacko:

Mike B. O=O

Mike, [unless you are kidding], a moderator keeps an eye on matters and removes objectionable posts (or reports them to me). This site requires very little moderation because it is understood that are rules are enforced. We do not put people in 'time-out' or give them several chances to behave. If the offense is extreme enough (posting porn for example) they are removed as soon as we are aware of the problem. We will offer a single warning just in case someone has not understood our rules- this for less serious infractions. But there are no second warnings.

The most recent few people who have left us have done so on their own, no longer wanting to participate here.

Tom DiMaggio

Thanks for this Joe, and thanks to all the mods for donating their time.

Butch Kliem

Mike B. O=O

Mod was also a fashion in the 60's. :D

• Like 1

mike bondurant

Mike B. O=O

Mike, [unless you are kidding], a moderator keeps an eye on matters and removes objectionable posts (or reports them to me). This site requires very little moderation because it is understood that are rules are enforced. We do not put people in 'time-out' or give them several chances to behave. If the offense is extreme enough (posting porn for example) they are removed as soon as we are aware of the problem. We will offer a single warning just in case someone has not understood our rules- this for less serious infractions. But there are no second warnings.

The most recent few people who have left us have done so on their own, no longer wanting to participate here.

Thanks, Joe. No, I wasn't kidding...just didn't understand their function. I'll watch my step....!

Mike B. O=O

Joe Roark

Mike B. O=O

Thanks, Joe. No, I wasn't kidding...just didn't understand their function. I'll watch my step....!

Mike B. O=O

I no longer visit other sites, but it appears from when I did that this site has to be among the more civil to moderate. It would be horrid to be a moderator on some other sites because being serious and trying to learn is not only on the back burner, it is not in the house!

Joe Roark

Each of our moderators has agreed to serve another year for the forum! I am, frankly, overjoyed at this as we start year 14 tomorrow!

If you have not read the profiles of our mods, please consider doing so when you have the time.

And thanks to all the moderators!

• Like 2

Bob Fett

Thanks for your service, fellers! :)

Joe Schwartz

Yes moderators, thanks for your service - much appreciated.  Also, Happy Birthday to Iron History.

Joe Roark

Bumping this for the information provided by Thomas Klose.