Hi from the UK

Clive Edwards

Joe Roark

Hi,

just joined from the UK

great site ...can see iam going to be on here for ages absorbing the information !

Clive

Welcome aboard, Clive. We are approaching our sixth anniversary on the web, and yes, our members have stocked these forums with treasure troves of information. When you are inclined to please tell us more about yourself in regard to which aspect of ironhistory interests you.

Joe

Clive Edwards

Hi,

thanks for the welcome

bit about myself ;

Got into weights via a certain Mr C Atlas ! (my mum would buy me marvel comics went she went shopping)

bought the course and a 9-10 year old started training. Then got interested in who he was (and Johnny Weissmuller). I had a feeling what i had

was years old ! got into bodybuilding proper started buying the british mag bodybuilding monthly + flex+ mmi

Came across the book "Barbells and Beefcake" and really got interested in iron history

Continued training,got married,had kids,gave up training,started again,got struck by the dreaded big C,gave up training,

recovered,started training again 2-3 months ago have lost 21 lbs of fat gained 2% muscle mass feel 20 again at age 46 ! :)

Have started reading my old bb monthly ,h&s mags etc which has piqued my interest again.

I think the aspect of iron history that interests me most are the people and there life stories although iam quite interested in the

stories like the bodybuilder (cant remember who) who was challenged by a wrestler to a fight . the BB knocked him out . Stories like

that interest me

So interested in the golden age mainly but still interested in the likes of Jay Cutler etc

Hope i can find something to offer that no one's seen/heard before ! As from what ive read it seems that everyone on here knows

everything .....almost :)

Clive

Edited by Clive Edwards
Joe Roark

Hi,

thanks for the welcome

bit about myself ;

Got into weights via a certain Mr C Atlas ! (my mum would buy me marvel comics went she went shopping)

bought the course and a 9-10 year old started training. Then got interested in who he was (and Johnny Weissmuller). I had a feeling what i had

was years old ! got into bodybuilding proper started buying the british mag bodybuilding monthly + flex+ mmi

Came across the book "Barbells and Beefcake" and really got interested in iron history

Continued training,got married,had kids,gave up training,started again,got struck by the dreaded big C,gave up training,

recovered,started training again 2-3 months ago have lost 21 lbs of fat gained 2% muscle mass feel 20 again at age 46 ! :)

Have started reading my old bb monthly ,h&s mags etc which has piqued my interest again.

I think the aspect of iron history that interests me most are the people and there life stories although iam quite interested in the

stories like the bodybuilder (cant remember who) who was challenged by a wrestler to a fight . the BB knocked him out . Stories like

that interest me

So interested in the golden age mainly but still interested in the likes of Jay Cutler etc

Hope i can find something to offer that no one's seen/heard before ! As from what ive read it seems that everyone on here knows

Clive

The view from across the pond is always welcome. I have been re-reading some 1960s issues of H&S and there is a world of history that escapes America's notice at least in large part.

Perhaps you can explain something to me:

When I am filing the 'South East Counties" and the 'Northeast Counties' contests- which counties are referred to? Is it England or Great Britian or what? Thanks.

David C New

Hi,

thanks for the welcome

bit about myself ;

that interest me

Clive

The view from across the pond is always welcome. I have been re-reading some 1960s issues of H&S and there is a world of history that escapes America's notice at least in large part.

When I am filing the 'South East Counties" and the 'Northeast Counties' contests- which counties are referred to? Is it England or Great Britian or what? Thanks.

Joe,

It refers to English counties. So 'South East Counties" refers to Kent, Middlesex, East Sussex and Surrey (difficult to be exact as the names and boundaries might have changed), while the 'Northeast Counties' refer to counties in the north-east of England (Durham, Tyne and Wear, Northumberland). Scottish contests were held seperately.

Clive how did you lose 20-30 pounds of fat so fast . I need to lose some fat also.

Clive Edwards

Hi,

thanks for the welcome

bit about myself ;

that interest me

Clive

Joe,

It refers to English counties. So 'South East Counties" refers to Kent, Middlesex, East Sussex and Surrey (difficult to be exact as the names and boundaries might have changed), while the 'Northeast Counties' refer to counties in the north-east of England (Durham, Tyne and Wear, Northumberland). Scottish contests were held seperately.

Thats about it

England,Scotland and Wales make up Great Britain

For instance , I live in a town called Hitchin in the county of Hertfordshire in the South East of England

Clear as mud ! :)

Clive Edwards

Clive how did you lose 20-30 pounds of fat so fast . I need to lose some fat also.

Tom,

closer to 20lbs

works out at about 2 lbs week roughly

Really is all diet and effort

1.Basically scritinized my diet ...made changes

2.plenty of cardio ,crosstrainer most nights,swimming once a week ,occasional run + weights

probably a bit of "muscle memory" in there aswell

Clive

• 3 weeks later...
John McEneany

Clive, I too am from the UK and also the S.E. part. I was born in Harrow not far from Watford which you no doubt know well. Back in the early sixties, I knew of no person who lifted weight other than myself. I knew of no gym within reach of where I lived so I trained at home in my bedroom.