Welcome, Al Myers

Tom Ryan

Since I may be the only person here who knows Al Myers and I invited him to join us, I will be the one to roll out the red carpet welcome.

Al is the new webmaster for the USAWA and is doing a great job. That is going to be a wonderful website when he gets everything added that he is putting together.

He is much more than just a webmaster, however, as he is one heck of a strong guy!

I met Al several years ago (2005?), when he came to Clark's Gym for a Records Day affair and the Hermann Goerner Deadlift Dozen contest that was held the next day. Al's gym is Al's Dino Gym and he brought a couple of his gym members with him: Bob Maxey (now deceased), and Rudy Bletscher. As I recall, Al didn't want to do much on Records Day because he wanted to save himself for the meet the next day.

Al was active in other strength sports, including Highland Games competition, before he discovered the USAWA.

I don't have Al's PRs committed to memory but I know his best back lift is around 2,900

and he is very strong in other lifts.

He is a 42-year old big animal veterinarian who lives in Abilene, Kansas. You can see a picture of him in action about 4.5 years ago if you scroll to the bottom of http://www.geocities.com/Colosseum/9748/dldz2004.html. Looking at that picture, you would almost have to feel sorry for any big animal that gives him any trouble! :lol:

David Hartnett

Ive been following the USAWA website, so I know who Al is... Its a huge improvement over the old site for sure.

Welcome Al !

Bob Hornick

I was very impressed with your introduction by Tom, Al....Welcome to Iron History! :)

Joe Roark

Welcome aboard ironhistory.com, Al.

• 3 weeks later...
Dale Harder

I too know Al. We met in Kansas where he was a meet director of a Scottish Highland Games championship and also concurrently a strongman championship--both meets were very well run. He's been a long-time subscriber to my newsletter and has been generous sending me photos and information about All-Around Weightlifting meets and competitors. This is the group that tries to keep the old lifts alive: back lift, harness lift, hand & thigh, 1-arm snatch, 1-arm clean & jerk, bent press, Zercher Lift and many others. Al was a professional highland games athlete and now does mostly all-around lifting.

A hearty welcome Al.

Tom Ryan

I am working with Al on the new version of the USAWA rulebook, which is at the USAWA website, as Al asked me to read through it.

Joe Roark

Al joined May 8, and has not been here since that first day.

Tom Ryan

Well, I know that yesterday he had to perform an emergency amputation (on an animal) and he has been busy with the USAWA website and rule book.

Joe Roark

Well, I know that yesterday he had to perform an amputation (on an animal) and he has been busy with the USAWA website and rule book.

I am certain he is indeed busy- was just offering a fact.