Sign in to follow this  
Tom Ryan

Grippaldi today

Tom Ryan    78
Tom Ryan

The topic of Phil Grippaldi came up today on GoHeavy. Anyone can go to the New Jersey Department of Corrections website and see a recent picture of him, as well as see other details. He is listed as 165 pounds at 5-7. (I always thought he was 5-6.)

I've posted the picture below.

post-78-1233715089_thumb.jpg

Mike Wittmer    1
Mike Wittmer

Very sad news. I hope, somehow, he can get his life turned around.

David Hartnett    851
David Hartnett

What a shame. Was a great lifter back in the day, but cant seem to stay out of trouble.

(I dont think this is his first time in jail).

Bob Hornick    209
Bob Hornick

Time, circumstances, personal decisions: All can be beneficial or can take their toll on us. Luck, good or bad, also factors in. As Mike said, I hope he can turn his life around.

Tom Ryan    78
Tom Ryan
What a shame. Was a great lifter back in the day, but cant seem to stay out of trouble.

(I dont think this is his first time in jail).

That's right, Dave, he has spent much of his life in prison.

nathan pearl    17
nathan pearl

I always had great respect for Grip. Could have made it as a bodybuilder as well as a weightlifter. Shame he has fallen so far. Sometimes a couple of bad decisions can haunt a person for life (prison record), and make it difficult to get back on track. Maybe he can still turn it around. NP

Mike Fera    72
Mike Fera

Joe Dube's post on GoHeavy.com regarding Phil:

"About a year or so back I tried my best to contact Phil with the assistance of a very grateful Mr.Jim Ryan. I did contact some of his relatives that lived in Las Vegas. They were to contact his dad for me but I never heard anything from them afterwards. I did send them many pictures of Phil I had in my collection. They did email me back and mention how grateful they were for the pictures.

It is very sad and depressing for me to think that a good hearted person as Phil was to take that wrong path and get involved with the wrong people as he did.

It is still my intention to get the chance to have a good long talk with Phil sometime when the timing is right. I do want to mention to him how so many remember him and the great contributions he has accomplished for our sport. He needs that feeling that people do still care about him and want see him again. Also how much people would like to see him get back involved with the sport as I did with Russ Knipp not to long before he passed away. Russ was very eager to get back involved after I had discussed with him the need for his presence to be back in the sport.

I would hope that I might make a difference if I can possibly get this chance to help Phil by talking to him as I think a good friend should do. I do believe I can get through to him and want to make sure and tell him that we still love him regardless of what he has done.

I don't think for a minute that we have lost Phil forever and we need to keep the door open and have faith that we can help him get back on the right track again. "

A great man, Joe Dube. In these days it is refreshing to see his approach to this type of situation. I offered to help Joe if I could assist in any way. Perhaps other members of this forum would also like to offer their support with this effort.

Tom Ryan    78
Tom Ryan
Joe Dube's post on GoHeavy.com regarding Phil:

"About a year or so back I tried my best to contact Phil with the assistance of a very grateful Mr.Jim Ryan. I did contact some of his relatives that lived in Las Vegas. They were to contact his dad for me but I never heard anything from them afterwards. I did send them many pictures of Phil I had in my collection. They did email me back and mention how grateful they were for the pictures.

It is very sad and depressing for me to think that a good hearted person as Phil was to take that wrong path and get involved with the wrong people as he did.

It is still my intention to get the chance to have a good long talk with Phil sometime when the timing is right. I do want to mention to him how so many remember him and the great contributions he has accomplished for our sport. He needs that feeling that people do still care about him and want see him again. Also how much people would like to see him get back involved with the sport as I did with Russ Knipp not to long before he passed away. Russ was very eager to get back involved after I had discussed with him the need for his presence to be back in the sport.

I would hope that I might make a difference if I can possibly get this chance to help Phil by talking to him as I think a good friend should do. I do believe I can get through to him and want to make sure and tell him that we still love him regardless of what he has done.

I don't think for a minute that we have lost Phil forever and we need to keep the door open and have faith that we can help him get back on the right track again. "

A great man, Joe Dube. In these days it is refreshing to see his approach to this type of situation. I offered to help Joe if I could assist in any way. Perhaps other members of this forum would also like to offer their support with this effort.

Joe Dube posted a correction later to indicate that he was referring to me (Jim = Tom). :)

Someone mentioned on GoHeavy that another prominent iron game personality from that geographical area, "Big Mike" Gubilo (sp?), also spent time in prison. Some of you will remember a photo or two of him in Iron Man in which he wore a sweater and looked huge!

Someone also posted on GoHeavy that Bob Hise III is now in jail.

Dale Harder    0
Dale Harder

What a shame. I hate to see wasted lives. I hope Joe Dube can help Phil and for that matter Bob Hise III.

Steve Bangert    10
Steve Bangert

I wonder if Joe had any luck finding and speaking with Grippaldi.

Bob Fett    1,032
Bob Fett

Doesn't sound good.

Edited by Bob Fett