Welcome Les Spendlove

Reuben Weaver

Reuben Weaver

I see our newest member is Les Spendlove. Welcome to IH.

There were some photos of a Les Spendlove among the boxes of stuff that I rescued from an old tabacco barn in Brandywine , MD, that was owned by Prof. E.M. Orlick. The photos were shot by Robert Nailon in the 1960's. Is this you ?

Reuben

post-126-1230906250_thumb.jpg

David Hartnett

There were some photos of a Les Spendlove among the boxes of stuff that I rescued from an old tabacco barn in Brandywine , MD, that was owned by Prof. E.M. Orlick. The photos were shot by Robert Nailon in the 1960's. Is this you ?

Reuben

Reuben,

That is Les. He joined over at IronAge as well, and posted about his old friend, Wilf Sylvester.

Guest Les Spendlove

Reuben

Hi Reuben,

Yes mate, that's me! Rescued from an old tobacco barn? Ha ha . . . . i'm rolling over with laughter. You know I've never even seen that old photo of me before and thanks very much for posting it. I think I was 17 years old in this pic and I'm wondering why Robert never gave me or even show me a copy of this photo.

I joined this forum on Mark Mills recommendation and I must say that all of you guys on this and Iron Age forums are the friendliest people I've met on the Net. Thanks to all for making me feel so welcome.

Reuben Weaver

Les,

Thanks for the response. When Prof. E.M. Orlick (editor of Joe Weider & Dan Lurie) retired in 1980, he boxed up all of his files from his years of working on Muscle publications for Weider & later Lurie, and stored them in an old tobacco in Brandywine, Maryland. When he passed away in 2000 I unearthed several boxes of magazines, articles, photos etc. from the crumbling barn and among were several photos of you.

Here is another one.

Reuben

post-126-1231096386_thumb.jpg

Guest Les Spendlove
Les,

Thanks for the response. When Prof. E.M. Orlick (editor of Joe Weider & Dan Lurie) retired in 1980, he boxed up all of his files from his years of working on Muscle publications for Weider & later Lurie, and stored them in an old tobacco in Brandywine, Maryland. When he passed away in 2000 I unearthed several boxes of magazines, articles, photos etc. from the crumbling barn and among were several photos of you.

Here is another one.

Reuben

Thanks again Reuben, I haven't seen the name Prof. E.M. Orlick for over 3 decades from when I used to buy those old muscle magazines religiously every month, I'm saddened to learn he passed away in 2000. I'll add these pics to my computer photo folder. In all my travels I've lost many of my old pics and these old shots bring back fond memories of my youthful days in Coogee, Australia.

I'm living in Thailand now because the cost of living is much cheaper here than the U.S. or Australia. I don't workout anymore and just do a lot of walking for exercise, pretty lazy of me I know. I'm an old man of 62 years now and my weight is only 160 lbs . . . . skinny again after all these years. I've been out of touch with the weight training scene for a long time and I'm having so much fun looking at all the posts on Iron History and Iron Age, maybe I'll start training again.

Les

post-4131-1231100500_thumb.jpg

Don't say you are an old man Les because I am a year older than you! :) You look like you are in good shape.

Reuben Weaver
Les,

Here is another one.

Reuben

Thanks again Reuben, I haven't seen the name Prof. E.M. Orlick for over 3 decades from when I used to buy those old muscle magazines religiously every month, I'm saddened to learn he passed away in 2000. I'll add these pics to my computer photo folder. In all my travels I've lost many of my old pics and these old shots bring back fond memories of my youthful days in Coogee, Australia.

I'm living in Thailand now because the cost of living is much cheaper here than the U.S. or Australia. I don't workout anymore and just do a lot of walking for exercise, pretty lazy of me I know. I'm an old man of 62 years now and my weight is only 160 lbs . . . . skinny again after all these years. I've been out of touch with the weight training scene for a long time and I'm having so much fun looking at all the posts on Iron History and Iron Age, maybe I'll start training again.

Les

Les,

I am glad you are enjoying the photos. I may have a few more ,if I dig a bit, that I will post. You certianly look fit in the photo that you posted.

Reuben

carl linich

Les, at 62 you are still "just a kid" as my friend Andy Jackson used to say. I'm 72 and still moving the iron. Give it a try. Just don't over do it.

Mark Mills

You're looking fit and healthy Les and you aren't even training!! 62 is a youngster over here. I like being a baby at 54. :P You won't find more knowledgeable students of the iron game than here, but you should check out www.raw-iron.com ...Jeff, Ken and Tim that run that site are great guys too as well as having a great knowledge of the "golden era". They would love your input!

jim eckhardt

Welcome to IH Les. You look trim and fit. Like Carl mentioned, I think you should give the old dumbells a try. I think you will surprise yourself. Reuben, great pics, as always.

Guest Les Spendlove
Don't say you are an old man Les because I am a year older than you! :) You look like you are in good shape.

I know you're right Tom. and now that I've found these 2 great sites and viewed so many posts with all the photos of all the bodybuilders that inspired me as a kid . . . . I'm starting to feel like that same young boy I was 4 and a half decades ago . . . . I just don't look like him now. :rolleyes:

Guest Les Spendlove
Les, at 62 you are still "just a kid" as my friend Andy Jackson used to say. I'm 72 and still moving the iron. Give it a try. Just don't over do it.

Carl, the friendly welcome you have all given me has enthused me tremendously. I'm over here in Thailand and I found a nice basic barbell/dumbbell gym not far from my apartment. I joined for a year and had my first light workout tonight . . . . I loved it and felt the pump again, great! I'm just not looking to that initial muscle soreness you get the next day after laying off for so long. But after a couple of workouts I'll be as right as rain.

Cheers,

Les

Guest Les Spendlove
Welcome to IH Les. You look trim and fit. Like Carl mentioned, I think you should give the old dumbells a try. I think you will surprise yourself. Reuben, great pics, as always.

Hi Jim,

As I just replied to Carl . . . . I got myself back in the gym tonight. The clanging of those barbells was like a symphony, I'm in love all over again. :P

carl linich

Hi, Les. Good to hear that you are hitting the iron again.Keep up the good work. :)

Guest Les Spendlove
Les -

Welcome and like the others have said " you look great " !

Thanks for the welcome Dave. Looks can be deceiving, that hair of mine is actually as grey as Barbara Bush! The wonders of haircolor. When I was in Hawaii I was a District Manager for L'Oreal Haircare and I got hooked on the products I sold. Did you know that Elvis was totally grey too? He used one of L'Oreal's products called Excellence. How does that line go? "Vanity, vanity . . . . all is vanity." :)

Guest Les Spendlove
You're looking fit and healthy Les and you aren't even training!! 62 is a youngster over here. I like being a baby at 54. :P You won't find more knowledgeable students of the iron game than here, but you should check out www.raw-iron.com ...Jeff, Ken and Tim that run that site are great guys too as well as having a great knowledge of the "golden era". They would love your input!

Hi Mark,

How do you keep up with all these sites? It must be like a full-time job and I can tell you really love the Iron Game and the Golden Era. Coming back after all these years has rekindled my love for bodybuilding too but it's always been in my blood and you never forget your first love do you?

I'm just so surprised that you guys know of me and even more, remember me too. We thought we were like a lost tribe down there in Australia in the sixties and far below the standard of all the American bodybuilders.

I didn't know any of you back then but I'm so happy to be amongst all of you now.

Les

Jeff Preston

Hi Mark,

How do you keep up with all these sites?

Mark is under house arrest Les...he can't do anything else! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Les welcome to Iron History, THE mecca of combined knowledge!

We would love to have you pay us a visit over at http://Raw-Iron.com you'll recognize most of the names there I'm sure, maybe even run into a few old friends.

Guest Les Spendlove
Mark is under house arrest Les...he can't do anything else! :lol::lol::lol:

Les welcome to Iron History, THE mecca of combined knowledge!

We would love to have you pay us a visit over at http://Raw-Iron.com you'll recognize most of the names there I'm sure, maybe even run into a few old friends.

Jeff, you guys are just great! I always get a chuckle when I visit. I'll be sure to drop in at Raw-Iron but I don't want to be put under house arrest too 'coz now that I started training again I have to get to the gym.