'nuther new member

John McKean

John McKean

Hi guys, I'm John McKean from Pittsburgh,PA. I've been competing for 45 years in powerlifting, olympic lifting, and All-Round weightlifting, and have always enjoyed reading & researching into the Iron Game. I actually got to attend several of the York annual picnics, and used to write in Grimek's MD, Iron Man, and Hardgainer mags. Also got to talk and correspond with Anderson and many other all time greats. Great reading and wonderful, insightful people on this site!

Joe Roark

Hi John, welcome aboard.

You have also written in the field, right? Lifting News, The Hard Gainer, Muscular Development?

In MD you used John R. McKean, or was that someone else?

Hi guys, I'm John McKean from Pittsburgh,PA. I've been competing for 45 years in powerlifting, olympic lifting, and All-Round weightlifting, and have always enjoyed reading & researching into the Iron Game. I actually got to attend several of the York annual picnics, and used to write in Grimek's MD, Iron Man, and Hardgainer mags. Also got to talk and correspond with Anderson and many other all time greats. Great reading and wonderful, insightful people on this site!

Gee, John, your name sounds vaguely familiar. Have we met before, like in a bunch of USAWA contests. :lol: Seriously, John, welcome aboard. There are some extremely knowledgable people here.

Hey, I've noticed that you have been weighing considerably more in contests during the past few years than when I knew you. So you must be eating well. When I went to my local Golden Corral last night, as I do every Saturday night when I raid their salad bar, I found that they had hidden the plastic containers to put the salad in for takeout. They told me that a lot of people had been stealing their food. A sign of the economic times, I guess. Have your retired from your teaching position, or are you still working?

John McKean

Hi Tom, How are ya, ole pal ! I miss seein' your smilin face at the All-Round meets! Yep, in recent meets I went back to my old 60s powerlifting bodyweight (165-175) as I reduced my aerobic workload and got back to the Golden Corrals myself (they only hid the salad containers from you? Heck,if you remember my 2 sons, I think they tried to ban us as a family from even entering their establishments!!).I've been retired from teaching for 10 years now and still do a lot of training at home. This looks like an outstanding educational site!!

Jarett Hulse

Welcome. I too remember some of your writings from Hardgainer.

• 1 month later...
Dale Harder

Welcome John, I've read of the McKean Family's exploits in all-around lifting for years in Bill Clark's journal. Are you and any of your family still lifting--all around or otherwise?

All the best,

morgan norval

Welcome aboard John, this is a site of no nonsense knowledgable lovers of the iron game who are always looking for new items re: the iron game.. Hopefully, you can return the favor by educating members here on the benfits of incorporating bands in their training. keep training and hitting the Spar Pro.