Hello

Guest Duncan Hughes

Guest Duncan Hughes

Hi,

I've come over from the Gripboard (thanks to Steve Gardener for a post over there recommending this site). I have PL'd, competing in the early '90s in 110kg class (225/150/255kg best meet lifts) but now due to some tired joints mainly train more BB style. Now weigh 82ish - hitting grip hard these days which is great fun.

I've been interested in strength for as long as I can remember - early primary school - and have always enjoyed reading about current and historical strongmen. I have the Paul Anderson, Louis Cyr, Doug Hepburn biographies and it was great to read about what they lifted and how they trained.

- Duncan

paul tucker
Hi,

I've come over from the Gripboard (thanks to Steve Gardener for a post over there recommending this site). I have PL'd, competing in the early '90s in 110kg class (225/150/255kg best meet lifts) but now due to some tired joints mainly train more BB style. Now weigh 82ish - hitting grip hard these days which is great fun.

I've been interested in strength for as long as I can remember - early primary school - and have always enjoyed reading about current and historical strongmen. I have the Paul Anderson, Louis Cyr, Doug Hepburn biographies and it was great to read about what they lifted and how they trained.

- Duncan

Hi Duncan - I joined up a few days ago - good to see another Ozzer here! Recognised your name from the Aussie strength forum. You should sign up to the paysite Cyberpump if you haven't already.

cheers

Paul Tucker , Tassy

Joe Roark

Duncan,

One of my early memories of elementary school is trying to perform a chin-up on the playground. It is the first strength movement I ever tried and I became hooked.

Welcome to ironhistory.com.

Paul, welcome aboard also.

If you have not yet read the rules please do so. We are considered very strict by usual standards. And, we are, I suppose.

Bob Hornick

Welcome Duncan and Paul to Iron History. As the name implies we recognize those pioneers of the Iron Game who have gone before us. We remember them and their era as those who follow us will hopefully remember our own time and place in Iron History. There are an abundance of posts providing us with facts, figures and photos of old timers, and the classic weights they lifted, questions and mysteries about them have been solved in many cases. Some here have provided us with photos of their home gyms and iron collections, pieces that have survived the years and are still used.

Yes, there is much on this site to read enjoy and learn from, so have at it! :)

Edited by Bob Hornick
jim eckhardt

Welcome to IH Duncan and Paul. I think you will find this a great place to read and share thoughts. As far as the old physical culture, it doesn't get any better than this!

Welcome guys just as good here as the Grip board.

Guest Duncan Hughes

Thanks everyone.

Hi Paul - yeah aussiestrength.com is great for us down under but it's limited as far as strength discussion content goes as we don't have that many active members. I had my first lurk around here last night - stayed up past my bed time ;) - much more reading to do...

Duncan,

One of my early memories of elementary school is trying to perform a chin-up on the playground. It is the first strength movement I ever tried and I became hooked.

Welcome to ironhistory.com.

Paul, welcome aboard also.

If you have not yet read the rules please do so. We are considered very strict by usual standards. And, we are, I suppose.

Cheers Joe, I'll read the rules - in just reading around I got that impression (the strictness).

Funny you mention chins, one of my first strength-related experiences was chins as well - but mine far more ignominious - 1st year of high school we were all tested on chinups and I couldn't even do one much to my extreme embarrassment! I think even a couple of girls beat me. Went home and worked hard at them for a few years (and ever since) and they became my strongest movement and still are.

Welcome, Duncan. I spent 2.5 years as a visiting faculty member at the University of Newcastle, which of course is not very far from Sydney.

Tom

mike bondurant
Hi,

- Duncan

Duncan,

Welcome to the forum! I'm heading to Sydney next month to visit my daughter who lives there near Manly. I've been there three times and climbed Ulu-ru last trip six years ago. (Well, half-climbed it would be more accurate...). :P

I'm very interested in antique weight equipment...do you know any place down there that I might see some?

BTW, I always train at Tony Ben's Gym when in Australia - my kind of gym!

Mike B. O=O

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Duncan Hughes

Hi Mike & Dale,

Mike, I climbed Uluru about 10 years back - the pics just don't so it justice, it's huge, 350m high - I remember thinking I was near the top a few times on the way up.

I'm not aware of any antique training gear in Sydney - no doubt though there is plenty of stuff lying around in old garages that we'll never see. I think there might be at least one Inch (replica) in Sydney - I know the guys in Melbourne have one.