5 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Joe Roark

Joe Roark

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,892 posts

Posted 24 July 2009 - 05:35 AM

If you have tried to register here with a code name, that is why you have been unsuccessful.

Your display name must be your real name. No exceptions.

#2 OFFLINE   Joe Roark

Joe Roark

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,892 posts

Posted 16 April 2010 - 06:34 AM

This was posted on the paysite today:

Whirlwind in the cul de sac

The pathway of the iron Internet leads sometimes to an alley, or a road, but less often to a highway with several lanes. It seems no U-turns are allowed, and on some sites no thoughts seem to be in need of reversal.

Anyone can run an iron web site. I do. Case closed. But not everyone runs a web site searching for positive results.

If you seek arguments or childish name calling blended with blather, there are some sites sizzling hoping you will join, They chew on fresh meat. Some such sites aren't even sincere- they simply allow word games leading to one-upmanship. After the flurry of vowels and vehemence and cursing has slowed, nothing much has been learned except that some clever and literate people choose to participate in such diss-cuss-ions. To spend time at such sites hoping for an education about the iron game, much sifting and sorting will be needed, but such sites do not come equipped with the needed, basic fact filters. Seldom are specifics included.

A step up to another level: some sites have members who have great enthusiasm which is usually visually directed. Heavy on images, lighter on facts. Almost as though a physique judging panel started a website. Arguments are tossed about regarding who had the best arms, or chest, or whatever. Reviews are offered regarding who should have won a certain contest. But the date of the contest, the location, and other such indicators are often not included. And, corrections do not seem to be needed or wanted. Run with the first draft, especially if someone's feelings may be wounded with specifics.

No one is much mislead by such obvious shallow treatments of subject matter, but when other sites, purporting to be sources of good iron history do not adopt the new information available, but instead maintain the weary and worn storylines which have been shown to be false or at least shown to be non-proven, the real pseudo-intellectual battleground is armed. These sites are heavy on images and shallow on text, especially on fact-checked text. The former greats were good guys, and besides, why would they have lied? Maybe for the same reasons people still do?

Another type of site is one is which little is ever settled because opinions rather than facts are usually being discussed. What is the best way to advance American weightlifting? Lots of chat, some anger, some disrespect, and after all the writing and writhing is over, nothing has been added to the solution column, but the vent shaft is fully drafted!

Sometimes our policy at ironhistory.com of demanding details backfires on us in the sense that we lose members who make claims they cannot cement with evidence. Either their egos are fragile, or they think their claims should be accepted because of who they are in the iron community- that their word should somehow trump evidence. I almost left my own site when people began doubting I won the Mr. Olympia... (that is a joke)

We have a section called Red Pencil History wherein we point out errors of fact from the bodybuilding magazines or other print media, or indeed from other websites. Unfortunately, there are simply too many errors to corral, so this section has been- at least insofar as my input- stocked with only the more impacting mistakes.

Other sites are subject specific: Only Powerlifting. Only Weightlifting, Only Bodybuilding. Only Olde Time subjects. Veer from the menu and you will be ordering elsewhere.

If such sites interest you, by any and all means, enjoy them. But if you are looking for a group that digs for information and shares it, a group that respects other posters and accepts being corrected because what they want is stable history and not an unblemished posting history...

At ironhistory.com we try to include as much data as can be found when addressing an issue or person. No name calling, indeed real name registration is a requirement to join. Any iron subject can be included, and all updates including changing what we THOUGHT we had correct will be welcome. We are after the history of iron, not some version of it that stopped with someone's passing.

The cul de sac is at ironhistory.com, where we usually have about 300 members. When we reach that number I begin looking at members who have not visited recently, and deleting them. A sort of reverse library card system. If you do not check in, we will check you out. Of the 300 members a percentage online at any given time will equal or surpass other sites with dozens of times our membership. Some of those members have not visited those other sites in years, but have never been removed, making it appear that the thousands listed as members should be considered active members. If we had followed this policy at ironhistory.com, our membership would be about 4,300 right now instead of about 300. The last person I want to fool is myself, and the penultimate person I want to fool is anyone interested in accuracy. Allowing a false membership total to stand would be deceptive.

All the roads I mentioned above are one-way roads. But in our cul de sac, the whirlwind retains the argument and discussion until we can settle on a general agreement. And, at any time, the matter can be re-examined when fresh information (maybe decades old) is discovered. This process of revisiting information based on new insight disturbs some who think their 'heroes' should be beyond examination.

So if you have been searching for a website where the focus is on information and not about the persons posting it- if you truly want to study the history of iron, join us. If you try to register, use your real name as your display name, or you will not be joining us.

#3 OFFLINE   Joe Roark

Joe Roark

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,892 posts

Posted 26 October 2010 - 09:09 AM

Your real name must be your display name.

Your display name must be your real name.

I delete all other attempts.

#4 OFFLINE   Joe Roark

Joe Roark

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,892 posts

Posted 16 July 2012 - 01:03 PM

Let's see if I can make this clearer: real first and last names...

#5 OFFLINE   Joe Roark

Joe Roark

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,892 posts

Posted 01 February 2013 - 07:23 PM

http://www.ironhisto...532#entry153597

#6 OFFLINE   Joe Roark

Joe Roark

Advanced Member

• Admin
  • PipPipPip
  • 34,892 posts

Posted 29 August 2013 - 01:10 PM

We no longer delete inactive members. Instead they are designated as inactive, but can again become active by simply posting.